Choose Your Test
Sat / act prep online guides and tips, 113 great research paper topics.
One of the hardest parts of writing a research paper can be just finding a good topic to write about. Fortunately we've done the hard work for you and have compiled a list of 113 interesting research paper topics. They've been organized into ten categories and cover a wide range of subjects so you can easily find the best topic for you.
In addition to the list of good research topics, we've included advice on what makes a good research paper topic and how you can use your topic to start writing a great paper.
What Makes a Good Research Paper Topic?
Not all research paper topics are created equal, and you want to make sure you choose a great topic before you start writing. Below are the three most important factors to consider to make sure you choose the best research paper topics.
#1: It's Something You're Interested In
A paper is always easier to write if you're interested in the topic, and you'll be more motivated to do in-depth research and write a paper that really covers the entire subject. Even if a certain research paper topic is getting a lot of buzz right now or other people seem interested in writing about it, don't feel tempted to make it your topic unless you genuinely have some sort of interest in it as well.
#2: There's Enough Information to Write a Paper
Even if you come up with the absolute best research paper topic and you're so excited to write about it, you won't be able to produce a good paper if there isn't enough research about the topic. This can happen for very specific or specialized topics, as well as topics that are too new to have enough research done on them at the moment. Easy research paper topics will always be topics with enough information to write a full-length paper.
Trying to write a research paper on a topic that doesn't have much research on it is incredibly hard, so before you decide on a topic, do a bit of preliminary searching and make sure you'll have all the information you need to write your paper.
#3: It Fits Your Teacher's Guidelines
Don't get so carried away looking at lists of research paper topics that you forget any requirements or restrictions your teacher may have put on research topic ideas. If you're writing a research paper on a health-related topic, deciding to write about the impact of rap on the music scene probably won't be allowed, but there may be some sort of leeway. For example, if you're really interested in current events but your teacher wants you to write a research paper on a history topic, you may be able to choose a topic that fits both categories, like exploring the relationship between the US and North Korea. No matter what, always get your research paper topic approved by your teacher first before you begin writing.
113 Good Research Paper Topics
Below are 113 good research topics to help you get you started on your paper. We've organized them into ten categories to make it easier to find the type of research paper topics you're looking for.
- Discuss the main differences in art from the Italian Renaissance and the Northern Renaissance .
- Analyze the impact a famous artist had on the world.
- How is sexism portrayed in different types of media (music, film, video games, etc.)? Has the amount/type of sexism changed over the years?
- How has the music of slaves brought over from Africa shaped modern American music?
- How has rap music evolved in the past decade?
- How has the portrayal of minorities in the media changed?
- What have been the impacts of China's one child policy?
- How have the goals of feminists changed over the decades?
- How has the Trump presidency changed international relations?
- Analyze the history of the relationship between the United States and North Korea.
- What factors contributed to the current decline in the rate of unemployment?
- What have been the impacts of states which have increased their minimum wage?
- How do US immigration laws compare to immigration laws of other countries?
- How have the US's immigration laws changed in the past few years/decades?
- How has the Black Lives Matter movement affected discussions and view about racism in the US?
- What impact has the Affordable Care Act had on healthcare in the US?
- What factors contributed to the UK deciding to leave the EU (Brexit)?
- What factors contributed to China becoming an economic power?
- Discuss the history of Bitcoin or other cryptocurrencies (some of which tokenize the S&P 500 Index on the blockchain) .
- Do students in schools that eliminate grades do better in college and their careers?
- Do students from wealthier backgrounds score higher on standardized tests?
- Do students who receive free meals at school get higher grades compared to when they weren't receiving a free meal?
- Do students who attend charter schools score higher on standardized tests than students in public schools?
- Do students learn better in same-sex classrooms?
- How does giving each student access to an iPad or laptop affect their studies?
- What are the benefits and drawbacks of the Montessori Method ?
- Do children who attend preschool do better in school later on?
- What was the impact of the No Child Left Behind act?
- How does the US education system compare to education systems in other countries?
- What impact does mandatory physical education classes have on students' health?
- Which methods are most effective at reducing bullying in schools?
- Do homeschoolers who attend college do as well as students who attended traditional schools?
- Does offering tenure increase or decrease quality of teaching?
- How does college debt affect future life choices of students?
- Should graduate students be able to form unions?
- What are different ways to lower gun-related deaths in the US?
- How and why have divorce rates changed over time?
- Is affirmative action still necessary in education and/or the workplace?
- Should physician-assisted suicide be legal?
- How has stem cell research impacted the medical field?
- How can human trafficking be reduced in the United States/world?
- Should people be able to donate organs in exchange for money?
- Which types of juvenile punishment have proven most effective at preventing future crimes?
- Has the increase in US airport security made passengers safer?
- Analyze the immigration policies of certain countries and how they are similar and different from one another.
- Several states have legalized recreational marijuana. What positive and negative impacts have they experienced as a result?
- Do tariffs increase the number of domestic jobs?
- Which prison reforms have proven most effective?
- Should governments be able to censor certain information on the internet?
- Which methods/programs have been most effective at reducing teen pregnancy?
- What are the benefits and drawbacks of the Keto diet?
- How effective are different exercise regimes for losing weight and maintaining weight loss?
- How do the healthcare plans of various countries differ from each other?
- What are the most effective ways to treat depression ?
- What are the pros and cons of genetically modified foods?
- Which methods are most effective for improving memory?
- What can be done to lower healthcare costs in the US?
- What factors contributed to the current opioid crisis?
- Analyze the history and impact of the HIV/AIDS epidemic .
- Are low-carbohydrate or low-fat diets more effective for weight loss?
- How much exercise should the average adult be getting each week?
- Which methods are most effective to get parents to vaccinate their children?
- What are the pros and cons of clean needle programs?
- How does stress affect the body?
- Discuss the history of the conflict between Israel and the Palestinians.
- What were the causes and effects of the Salem Witch Trials?
- Who was responsible for the Iran-Contra situation?
- How has New Orleans and the government's response to natural disasters changed since Hurricane Katrina?
- What events led to the fall of the Roman Empire?
- What were the impacts of British rule in India ?
- Was the atomic bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki necessary?
- What were the successes and failures of the women's suffrage movement in the United States?
- What were the causes of the Civil War?
- How did Abraham Lincoln's assassination impact the country and reconstruction after the Civil War?
- Which factors contributed to the colonies winning the American Revolution?
- What caused Hitler's rise to power?
- Discuss how a specific invention impacted history.
- What led to Cleopatra's fall as ruler of Egypt?
- How has Japan changed and evolved over the centuries?
- What were the causes of the Rwandan genocide ?
- Why did Martin Luther decide to split with the Catholic Church?
- Analyze the history and impact of a well-known cult (Jonestown, Manson family, etc.)
- How did the sexual abuse scandal impact how people view the Catholic Church?
- How has the Catholic church's power changed over the past decades/centuries?
- What are the causes behind the rise in atheism/ agnosticism in the United States?
- What were the influences in Siddhartha's life resulted in him becoming the Buddha?
- How has media portrayal of Islam/Muslims changed since September 11th?
- How has the earth's climate changed in the past few decades?
- How has the use and elimination of DDT affected bird populations in the US?
- Analyze how the number and severity of natural disasters have increased in the past few decades.
- Analyze deforestation rates in a certain area or globally over a period of time.
- How have past oil spills changed regulations and cleanup methods?
- How has the Flint water crisis changed water regulation safety?
- What are the pros and cons of fracking?
- What impact has the Paris Climate Agreement had so far?
- What have NASA's biggest successes and failures been?
- How can we improve access to clean water around the world?
- Does ecotourism actually have a positive impact on the environment?
- Should the US rely on nuclear energy more?
- What can be done to save amphibian species currently at risk of extinction?
- What impact has climate change had on coral reefs?
- How are black holes created?
- Are teens who spend more time on social media more likely to suffer anxiety and/or depression?
- How will the loss of net neutrality affect internet users?
- Analyze the history and progress of self-driving vehicles.
- How has the use of drones changed surveillance and warfare methods?
- Has social media made people more or less connected?
- What progress has currently been made with artificial intelligence ?
- Do smartphones increase or decrease workplace productivity?
- What are the most effective ways to use technology in the classroom?
- How is Google search affecting our intelligence?
- When is the best age for a child to begin owning a smartphone?
- Has frequent texting reduced teen literacy rates?
How to Write a Great Research Paper
Even great research paper topics won't give you a great research paper if you don't hone your topic before and during the writing process. Follow these three tips to turn good research paper topics into great papers.
#1: Figure Out Your Thesis Early
Before you start writing a single word of your paper, you first need to know what your thesis will be. Your thesis is a statement that explains what you intend to prove/show in your paper. Every sentence in your research paper will relate back to your thesis, so you don't want to start writing without it!
As some examples, if you're writing a research paper on if students learn better in same-sex classrooms, your thesis might be "Research has shown that elementary-age students in same-sex classrooms score higher on standardized tests and report feeling more comfortable in the classroom."
If you're writing a paper on the causes of the Civil War, your thesis might be "While the dispute between the North and South over slavery is the most well-known cause of the Civil War, other key causes include differences in the economies of the North and South, states' rights, and territorial expansion."
#2: Back Every Statement Up With Research
Remember, this is a research paper you're writing, so you'll need to use lots of research to make your points. Every statement you give must be backed up with research, properly cited the way your teacher requested. You're allowed to include opinions of your own, but they must also be supported by the research you give.
#3: Do Your Research Before You Begin Writing
You don't want to start writing your research paper and then learn that there isn't enough research to back up the points you're making, or, even worse, that the research contradicts the points you're trying to make!
Get most of your research on your good research topics done before you begin writing. Then use the research you've collected to create a rough outline of what your paper will cover and the key points you're going to make. This will help keep your paper clear and organized, and it'll ensure you have enough research to produce a strong paper.
Are you also learning about dynamic equilibrium in your science class? We break this sometimes tricky concept down so it's easy to understand in our complete guide to dynamic equilibrium .
Thinking about becoming a nurse practitioner? Nurse practitioners have one of the fastest growing careers in the country, and we have all the information you need to know about what to expect from nurse practitioner school .
Want to know the fastest and easiest ways to convert between Fahrenheit and Celsius? We've got you covered! Check out our guide to the best ways to convert Celsius to Fahrenheit (or vice versa).
Need more help with this topic? Check out Tutorbase!
Our vetted tutor database includes a range of experienced educators who can help you polish an essay for English or explain how derivatives work for Calculus. You can use dozens of filters and search criteria to find the perfect person for your needs.
These recommendations are based solely on our knowledge and experience. If you purchase an item through one of our links, PrepScholar may receive a commission.
Christine graduated from Michigan State University with degrees in Environmental Biology and Geography and received her Master's from Duke University. In high school she scored in the 99th percentile on the SAT and was named a National Merit Finalist. She has taught English and biology in several countries.
Student and Parent Forum
Our new student and parent forum, at ExpertHub.PrepScholar.com , allow you to interact with your peers and the PrepScholar staff. See how other students and parents are navigating high school, college, and the college admissions process. Ask questions; get answers.
Ask a Question Below
Have any questions about this article or other topics? Ask below and we'll reply!
Improve With Our Famous Guides
- For All Students
The 5 Strategies You Must Be Using to Improve 160+ SAT Points
How to Get a Perfect 1600, by a Perfect Scorer
Series: How to Get 800 on Each SAT Section:
Score 800 on SAT Math
Score 800 on SAT Reading
Score 800 on SAT Writing
Series: How to Get to 600 on Each SAT Section:
Score 600 on SAT Math
Score 600 on SAT Reading
Score 600 on SAT Writing
Free Complete Official SAT Practice Tests
What SAT Target Score Should You Be Aiming For?
15 Strategies to Improve Your SAT Essay
The 5 Strategies You Must Be Using to Improve 4+ ACT Points
How to Get a Perfect 36 ACT, by a Perfect Scorer
Series: How to Get 36 on Each ACT Section:
36 on ACT English
36 on ACT Math
36 on ACT Reading
36 on ACT Science
Series: How to Get to 24 on Each ACT Section:
24 on ACT English
24 on ACT Math
24 on ACT Reading
24 on ACT Science
What ACT target score should you be aiming for?
ACT Vocabulary You Must Know
ACT Writing: 15 Tips to Raise Your Essay Score
How to Get Into Harvard and the Ivy League
How to Get a Perfect 4.0 GPA
How to Write an Amazing College Essay
What Exactly Are Colleges Looking For?
Is the ACT easier than the SAT? A Comprehensive Guide
Should you retake your SAT or ACT?
When should you take the SAT or ACT?
Get the latest articles and test prep tips!
Looking for Graduate School Test Prep?
Check out our top-rated graduate blogs here:
GRE Online Prep Blog
GMAT Online Prep Blog
TOEFL Online Prep Blog
Holly R. "I am absolutely overjoyed and cannot thank you enough for helping me!”
100 Research Paper Topics and How to Choose One to Write About
What is the hardest part of creating a compelling research paper? Despite common belief, writing is not the biggest challenge on your way to success. However, trying to come up with a good research paper topic can be more complicated than writing research itself.
When choosing a topic, students can encounter a variety of issues, including a lack of creativity, insufficient essay writing skills and experience, or a lack of research material on the chosen topic. These and other issues may get in your way, holding you back from creating genuinely engaging thesis topics.
Order an Essay Now & Get These Features For Free :
How can you overcome these problems in the process of choosing a topic? In this article, we are going to give you some tips that will make the whole process easier, and share a list of 100 good research topics from our custom essay writing services team.
How to Choose a Topic for a Research Paper
If you feel stuck with choosing a relevant and engaging topic, find a step by step guide that will help you generate interesting research topics with ease below:
1. Observing Your Interests
What really makes a research topic good is your genuine interest in it. Picking a topic that you are personally interested in can motivate you to do an in-depth study of it, and can make the whole writing process much easier.
Study your range of interests – break them down into separate topics and choose one that can create the most interest in terms of revealing the topic. If the topic is controversial, then it will be a good idea to define your point of view right away — to help refine the direction of your research.
Also, be sure not to pick research essay topics solely on what’s trending. While trending topics will definitely be relevant, the lack of interest can affect the overall quality of the work.
2. Make Sure You Have Enough Information to Write a Paper
If your genuine interest in a specific matter should be at the top of your priority list when choosing a topic, the availability of enough information should be your second highest priority.
Having a sufficient amount of materials to write your research paper is vital. Some of the resources you can look for are books, different scientific journals, online sources like blogs and websites, encyclopedias, etc. The more resources you can find, the easier it will be to create your own work.
Feeling Stressed Out When Need to Write an Essay?
No panic! One of our skilled writers will craft a well-researched, custom-written paper for you asap!
The more specialized and newer the topic for research is, the less information you are likely to find on it. Therefore, choosing such a topic, you have to be ready to face certain challenges in the process of writing. However, this does not mean that you should opt for easy research paper topics. Keep in mind that a good topic should not be too simple nor broad.
3. Follow Your Teacher’s Guidelines
Last but not least, don’t forget to keep your teacher’s instructions in mind when picking a topic. The requirements and limitations may vary depending on your academic level and your teacher’s preferences, and you have to bear them in mind. Also, it is always a good idea to confirm your topic with your teacher before you start writing—if they think it might be a poor choice, they will likely give you some guidance and will appreciate that you asked regardless.
To give you some extra tips on the choice of a topic, here are the main features that characterize good topics for research papers:
- Relevance – the chosen topic has to be relevant for potential readers;
- Specificness – objectives (as well as expected results) of your study have to be focused and clear;
- Importance – a good topic should bring value and impact to your field of study—or the community as a whole;
- Trendiness – topics that are trending tend to spark more interest among readers due to their yet unexplored potential;
- Originality – it is important to focus your work on something that hasn’t been researched before to ensure scientific novelty and originality.
Keep In Mind
You can always get quality help on our professional paper writing service.
We also recommend that you read the article on symbolism in literature . Many of our readers found it interesting.
100 Examples of Interesting Research Paper Topics
Now that you know what a good topic should look like, let us give you some great research paper ideas to help you get on track. In the list below, you can find the top 100 interesting topics to research, selected by our team.
College Research Paper Topics
College students first face research paper writing assignments during the first year. These topics to write about will do for the freshmen!
- Tutor competency examinations VS degree requirements alone
- Separation of church & state against religion’s contribution to the public good
- Fairness to families who have to pay twice for education
- Drug & alcohol abuse among teenagers
- High rates of pregnancy among college girls
- The desire to commit suicide while studying in college
- A right to choose courses a student believes are important
- Ability to skip useless classes
- Reasons why young adolescents in the United States should adopt the British custom of running a “gap year” between high school & college
- College education and funding
High School Research Paper Topics
High school teachers do not assign research papers often. Still, explore this list of topics to write about to be on the wave! Use these as good research topics for middle school as well.
- Bilingual education compared to the traditional approach
- Policing public schools
- Permit corporal punishment
- Placement by age & placement by skills
- Students with disabilities should not be allowed to study with their healthy peers
- The problems associated with bullying in the US high schools
- Teacher’s demands against teaching being a service occupation
- Is no child left behind act working?
- Are standardized English tests efficient?
- What are the primary reasons for grade inflation?
Psychology Research Paper Topics for College Students
What about exploring the possible psychology ideas? Be sure to cite papers like this using APA or MLA format.
- Mental disorders, including self-harm and cutting
- Eating disorders in the US community & childhood obesity
- Tourette syndrome: Cause & effects
- Exercising on work time as the way to reduce the level of stress
- Common sleep disorders and ways to resist them
- How can a patient’s family help to deal with schizophrenia?
- What are the biological and psychological roots of sociopathy?
- Is electroshock a legal, effective method of treatment?
- Coma recovery on the mental level
- Describing the pros & cons of modern asylums
Science Research Paper Topics
A scientific study is the heart of any research paper. Discover the top recommended scientific ideas.
- Stem cells to play a crucial role in the medical treatment of various diseases
- Forensic science technology
- Discussing alchemy and the ways it has been implemented
- Obstacles faced by scientists in breaking the sound barrier
- Nuclear energy: Its opportunities & threats
- Technologies available to households to assist them in conserving energy
- The risks & possible adverse outcomes of using nuclear power
- How can registered nurses save babies born before 27 weeks?
- How does breastfeeding improve the infant’s health?
- Is screwing for breast cancer effective?
Religion & Literature Research Paper Topics
This list is for students who love reading. Let us help choose the best literature ideas to analyze?
- Reasons why the Bible should be viewed as literature
- The controversies concerning Shakespearean authorship
- The relationship between Dante and Virgil
- Exploring the Divine Comedy as the world masterpiece
- In-depth analysis of the unusual structure of A Winter’s Tale
- The religious significance of the Quran
- Compare Anna Karenina with Madame Bovary
- Dickens failed with writing a serious, romantic narrative in his novels
- A single true religion
- The metaphysical in Donne’s poetry
Argumentative Research Paper Topics
In argumentative writing, a writer should take a particular position. Choose a debate and think which side you support.
- Unborn victims of violence
- Scientific evidence VS definition of viability
- Reasons to support euthanasia in medical practice
- The Internet makes modern people smarter
- The federal government must regulate information available on the Internet
- Body language is what matters in dating most of al
- Congressional opposition to presidential filibusters
- People infected with HIV should receive free treatment
- Revoking drivers license: Necessity and interpretation
- Animal protection is more important than business needs
Good US History Research Paper Topics
Do you need history research topics for high school students that cover only the United States or the entire world? We have examples of both!*
- The Blackwell Companion to religion in the United States
- A revolution down on the farm of Northern America
- American agriculture: Its social history
- In the past lane: Historical Perspectives on the culture of the US
- The dynamics of American politics: Approaches & explanations
- Presidential campaigns & self-images
- The market revolution: Jacksonian US
- The battle cry of freedom: The Civil War epoch
- Yankees today: Immigrants from Europe
- The guide to the US females in the XIX century
Human Rights & Human Resource Paper Topics
Some of the research topics for high school students include those dedicated to our rights.
- Discrimination in the workplace is the most significant issue of some contemporary companies
- Diversity at the workplace
- Ways to motivate employees to work harder
- Whistleblowing and problems associated with it
- Key performance indicator (KPI): How it works
- Getting rid of stress at the workplace
- Benefit programs every business is obligated to provide
- The impact of wages on the productivity of employees
- Ways businesses can adequately protect their private information
- Strategies companies can use to hire qualified staff better
Law Enforcement Topics for Research Paper
Are you studying in a Law School? Are you attending MBA courses? In both situations, you will need a list of excellent topics on various regulations, legal cases, legislation, etc.
- Racial discrimination: Reasons why people around the world feel the racial injustice
- The way gender discrimination affects law enforcement and regulations in place
- Things they must change to assist officers with getting to the scene of crime quicker
- Typical offenses committed by juveniles
- The impact of racial profiling on the riots
- Border patrol: How do people receive illegal substances into their states when crossing the border?
- Does the government contribute enough to guarantee community protection?
- How do they detonate explosive equipment?
- The amount of time necessary for the police officer to train
- Mass emergencies: Measures to be taken
Business Research Paper Topics
Students who are getting ready to obtain their Business Administration degrees should focus on the following topics:
- Making four generations getting on well with each other in the workplace
- Sticking to the principal regulations of the corporate law
- Features that define a true business leader
- Ensuring positive staff relationships
- Ways to represent shareholders in non-public companies
- Small business & taxation
- Crowdfunding & outsourcing: Contemporary financing techniques
- The advantages of running a small business
- Things that make young startups fail during the first couple of years
- Investing company’s assets into charity: Benefits
'I need help with writing my essay ' - you may think sometimes. Need a hand with history essay writing ? Address to our team of professional writers.
Let’s sum up how to choose a good research paper topic:
- Gather with other students, mates or family members to generate ideas. List each of them.
- Choose 3-5 most relevant concepts, read some general article about each of them to pick your favorite one and make sure there is related information you can use.
- Make sure the topic is manageable and narrow.
- Follow the guidelines specified by your tutor.
Picking the perfect topic for your research paper can be hard. To help you get on the right track, we have outlined 100 interesting research topic ideas. Hopefully this article will help you understand how to create a good topic.
Don't know how to cite a paper in APA , or do you also have some challenging other assignment? Get help from our service - order your essay on any topic you need.
Get Professional Help with Your College Papers
Are you facing issues with writing your paper? If you lack time, experience, or inspiration, the team of our service is always ready to come to your rescue. We provide students with assistance in writing custom research papers of any complexity. Send us your request if you need additional help with any of your academic matters.
Have a language expert improve your writing
Run a free plagiarism check in 10 minutes, generate accurate citations for free.
- Knowledge Base
- Research paper
Writing a Research Paper Introduction | Step-by-Step Guide
Published on September 24, 2022 by Jack Caulfield . Revised on November 29, 2022.
The introduction to a research paper is where you set up your topic and approach for the reader. It has several key goals:
- Present your topic and get the reader interested
- Provide background or summarize existing research
- Position your own approach
- Detail your specific research problem and problem statement
- Give an overview of the paper’s structure
The introduction looks slightly different depending on whether your paper presents the results of original empirical research or constructs an argument by engaging with a variety of sources.
Table of contents
Step 1: introduce your topic, step 2: describe the background, step 3: establish your research problem, step 4: specify your objective(s), step 5: map out your paper, research paper introduction examples, frequently asked questions about the research paper introduction.
The first job of the introduction is to tell the reader what your topic is and why it’s interesting or important. This is generally accomplished with a strong opening hook.
The hook is a striking opening sentence that clearly conveys the relevance of your topic. Think of an interesting fact or statistic, a strong statement, a question, or a brief anecdote that will get the reader wondering about your topic.
For example, the following could be an effective hook for an argumentative paper about the environmental impact of cattle farming:
A more empirical paper investigating the relationship of Instagram use with body image issues in adolescent girls might use the following hook:
Don’t feel that your hook necessarily has to be deeply impressive or creative. Clarity and relevance are still more important than catchiness. The key thing is to guide the reader into your topic and situate your ideas.
This part of the introduction differs depending on what approach your paper is taking.
In a more argumentative paper, you’ll explore some general background here. In a more empirical paper, this is the place to review previous research and establish how yours fits in.
Argumentative paper: Background information
After you’ve caught your reader’s attention, specify a bit more, providing context and narrowing down your topic.
Provide only the most relevant background information. The introduction isn’t the place to get too in-depth; if more background is essential to your paper, it can appear in the body .
Empirical paper: Describing previous research
For a paper describing original research, you’ll instead provide an overview of the most relevant research that has already been conducted. This is a sort of miniature literature review —a sketch of the current state of research into your topic, boiled down to a few sentences.
This should be informed by genuine engagement with the literature. Your search can be less extensive than in a full literature review, but a clear sense of the relevant research is crucial to inform your own work.
Begin by establishing the kinds of research that have been done, and end with limitations or gaps in the research that you intend to respond to.
Prevent plagiarism. Run a free check.
The next step is to clarify how your own research fits in and what problem it addresses.
Argumentative paper: Emphasize importance
In an argumentative research paper, you can simply state the problem you intend to discuss, and what is original or important about your argument.
Empirical paper: Relate to the literature
In an empirical research paper, try to lead into the problem on the basis of your discussion of the literature. Think in terms of these questions:
- What research gap is your work intended to fill?
- What limitations in previous work does it address?
- What contribution to knowledge does it make?
You can make the connection between your problem and the existing research using phrases like the following.
Now you’ll get into the specifics of what you intend to find out or express in your research paper.
The way you frame your research objectives varies. An argumentative paper presents a thesis statement, while an empirical paper generally poses a research question (sometimes with a hypothesis as to the answer).
Argumentative paper: Thesis statement
The thesis statement expresses the position that the rest of the paper will present evidence and arguments for. It can be presented in one or two sentences, and should state your position clearly and directly, without providing specific arguments for it at this point.
Empirical paper: Research question and hypothesis
The research question is the question you want to answer in an empirical research paper.
Present your research question clearly and directly, with a minimum of discussion at this point. The rest of the paper will be taken up with discussing and investigating this question; here you just need to express it.
A research question can be framed either directly or indirectly.
- This study set out to answer the following question: What effects does daily use of Instagram have on the prevalence of body image issues among adolescent girls?
- We investigated the effects of daily Instagram use on the prevalence of body image issues among adolescent girls.
If your research involved testing hypotheses , these should be stated along with your research question. They are usually presented in the past tense, since the hypothesis will already have been tested by the time you are writing up your paper.
For example, the following hypothesis might respond to the research question above:
The final part of the introduction is often dedicated to a brief overview of the rest of the paper.
In a paper structured using the standard scientific “introduction, methods, results, discussion” format, this isn’t always necessary. But if your paper is structured in a less predictable way, it’s important to describe the shape of it for the reader.
If included, the overview should be concise, direct, and written in the present tense.
- This paper will first discuss several examples of survey-based research into adolescent social media use, then will go on to …
- This paper first discusses several examples of survey-based research into adolescent social media use, then goes on to …
Full examples of research paper introductions are shown in the tabs below: one for an argumentative paper, the other for an empirical paper.
- Argumentative paper
- Empirical paper
Are cows responsible for climate change? A recent study (RIVM, 2019) shows that cattle farmers account for two thirds of agricultural nitrogen emissions in the Netherlands. These emissions result from nitrogen in manure, which can degrade into ammonia and enter the atmosphere. The study’s calculations show that agriculture is the main source of nitrogen pollution, accounting for 46% of the country’s total emissions. By comparison, road traffic and households are responsible for 6.1% each, the industrial sector for 1%. While efforts are being made to mitigate these emissions, policymakers are reluctant to reckon with the scale of the problem. The approach presented here is a radical one, but commensurate with the issue. This paper argues that the Dutch government must stimulate and subsidize livestock farmers, especially cattle farmers, to transition to sustainable vegetable farming. It first establishes the inadequacy of current mitigation measures, then discusses the various advantages of the results proposed, and finally addresses potential objections to the plan on economic grounds.
The rise of social media has been accompanied by a sharp increase in the prevalence of body image issues among women and girls. This correlation has received significant academic attention: Various empirical studies have been conducted into Facebook usage among adolescent girls (Tiggermann & Slater, 2013; Meier & Gray, 2014). These studies have consistently found that the visual and interactive aspects of the platform have the greatest influence on body image issues. Despite this, highly visual social media (HVSM) such as Instagram have yet to be robustly researched. This paper sets out to address this research gap. We investigated the effects of daily Instagram use on the prevalence of body image issues among adolescent girls. It was hypothesized that daily Instagram use would be associated with an increase in body image concerns and a decrease in self-esteem ratings.
The introduction of a research paper includes several key elements:
- A hook to catch the reader’s interest
- Relevant background on the topic
- Details of your research problem
and your problem statement
- A thesis statement or research question
- Sometimes an overview of the paper
Don’t feel that you have to write the introduction first. The introduction is often one of the last parts of the research paper you’ll write, along with the conclusion.
This is because it can be easier to introduce your paper once you’ve already written the body ; you may not have the clearest idea of your arguments until you’ve written them, and things can change during the writing process .
The way you present your research problem in your introduction varies depending on the nature of your research paper . A research paper that presents a sustained argument will usually encapsulate this argument in a thesis statement .
A research paper designed to present the results of empirical research tends to present a research question that it seeks to answer. It may also include a hypothesis —a prediction that will be confirmed or disproved by your research.
Cite this Scribbr article
If you want to cite this source, you can copy and paste the citation or click the “Cite this Scribbr article” button to automatically add the citation to our free Citation Generator.
Caulfield, J. (2022, November 29). Writing a Research Paper Introduction | Step-by-Step Guide. Scribbr. Retrieved March 7, 2023, from https://www.scribbr.com/research-paper/research-paper-introduction/
Is this article helpful?
Other students also liked, writing strong research questions | criteria & examples, writing a research paper conclusion | step-by-step guide, research paper format | apa, mla, & chicago templates, what is your plagiarism score.
Research Paper Guide
Research Paper Topics
250+ Interesting Research Paper Topics for 2022
22 min read
Published on: Dec 5, 2017
Last updated on: Jan 23, 2023
On This Page On This Page
There are a number of tasks you will have to face when you enroll in a college. Most students feel stressed and tired, particularly when it comes to writing a research paper.
Some say the hardest part of drafting a text is to get started. However, selecting good research topics even precedes the starting point. This practice takes a lot of time and creativity. Therefore, exploring this complete guide will give you plenty of topic ideas in no time.
Most of the time, the instructors assign a list of topics to the students. While sometimes, they give you the freedom to come up with the topic of your choice.
This is where our list of best research paper topics will come in handy. The essay experts at MyPerfectWords.com have collected impressive ideas for your paper. We will assist you in turning an average research paper into an exceptional one.
How to Find a Good Research Paper Topic?
There are some special techniques you should follow to pick the right research paper topic. Follow the easy steps below to find good research paper topics.
1. Conduct Background Research
The first step is to conduct detailed background research by reviewing the existing literature. It will help to identify the history of a well-defined research problem. Similarly, it will also assist in developing research questions and a thesis statement .
2. Brainstorm Topic Ideas
Brainstorm research topic ideas and make a list of the general subjects. Narrow down to a specific field of study and choose the one that interests you the most. It is the key to producing an interesting and impressive writing piece.
You can further take help from your professor to identify a unique idea to write a research paper. Remember, it would be better to avoid controversial topics for research papers if you are not confident about justifying them.
3. Find Relevant Information
The next step is to find relevant information about your chosen topic. For this, read different points of view available on the internet. Also, consult scholarly sources like books and peer-reviewed articles to keep the facts straight and referable.
4. Use Keywords
Try to come up with a keyword and reach the best-suited topic according to your subject and preference. For example, the keyword ‘violence’ can provide you with a number of choices. It may include gun violence, domestic violence, and other essay topics related to abuse.
This step serves as a crucial strategy to grab the reader’s attention.
5. Keep Your Audience in Mind
Always keep your target audience in mind. It is another important element in selecting your high-school or college research paper topics.
For this, a writer must strictly comply with the instructor's preference and requirements. Make sure your topic gets approved before you begin with the writing process.
What is a Good Topic for a Research Paper?
A good research topic is the one that has the following characteristics;
Specific and Solid - the aims of research and expected results should be clear.
Original and Unique - a good research topic should be original. And the research should be aimed to be unique and never done before.
Extremely Important - It should be significant for the society, community, or to a field of study.
Relevant - It should be relevant for the readers.
Trending - These kinds of topics are the ones that spark interest among the readers and keep them interested.
What are the 6 Types of Research Questions?
Here are the 6 important types of research questions that you should know about when creating it for your research paper.
- Exploratory Questions - These questions are designed to explore the question in detail.
- Predictive Questions - These questions are used to predict the results of the research.
- Interpretive Questions - Interpretive research is conducted in the participants’ natural setting. These questions interpret how a group shares experiences.
- Descriptive Questions - It is a basic kind of question and it describes the main research topic in detail.
- Comparative Questions - Comparative questions compare one thing or occurrence with another.
- Relationship-based Questions - These questions are about understanding the relation between different variables.
Best Research Paper Topics 2022
Here are some impressive and easy research paper topics to write an extraordinary paper.
Research Paper Topics on Marketing and Business
- Explain workforce rules and regulations in Texas.
- How can we stop corporate abuse?
- Small business innovations to grow your business setup.
- Ways to reduce taxes in small businesses.
- Effective tips for women in business.
- How has marketing etiquette changed in the last few years?
- Why are stock markets becoming more popular?
- What are the positive effects of relationship marketing?
- How globalization impacts brand marketing?
- Can women prove to be better marketing experts than men?
Research Paper Topics on Economics
- Discuss Balanced vs. Unbalanced growth.
- How to improve the quality of life in developing countries?
- Ways to measure and manage inflation.
- Demand and supply analysis - A complete guide
- History trends in Income disparity.
- An easy guideline for property rights.
- Standards versus taxes as policy instruments.
- Explain the difference between private and public finance.
- Understanding the dynamics of economics and culture influence.
- Immigration and its impacts on the economy
Research Paper Topics on Current Affairs
- How has feminism changed over the years?
- Has the “Black Lives Matter” movement reduced racism in the United States?
- Are we moving towards World War 3?
- Has China decided to tackle its pollution problem?
- India: A poor nation or a superpower?
- Is the U.S. economy becoming stronger or weaker?
- How important is it to reduce the Federal budget deficit?
- How can police departments minimize the danger to officers from shooters?
- How can Chicago reduce the amount of violence and murders in the city?
- Should it be easier for people to become United States citizens?
Research Paper Topics on Education
- Should American students take a gap year between school and college?
- Discuss the concept of homeschool along with its benefits.
- Education and funding - A complete overview.
- Pros and cons of standardized tests - Discuss briefly.
- Do college students make more money?
- Should education be cheaper?
- How will modern technologies change the way of teaching in the future?
- The creation of particular learning methods for blind children.
- Benefits and risks of social networking in school.
- The role of technology in lesson planning.
Research Paper Topics on English Literature
- Similarities and differences between Shakespeare and Charles Dickens.
- Do you believe that Dickens failed after turning to serious and romantic novels?
- Examine controversies associated with Shakespeare.
- Literature as an instrument of propaganda.
- The American Dream in the 20th century’s literature.
- Religion and literature in a secular age.
- Discuss the works of Hemingway.
- Why did “Harry Potter” become so popular?
- Classify artificial languages in literature.
- What is the role of mythology in English literature?
College Research Paper Topics
- IELTS vs. TOEFL - Discuss the similarities and differences.
- College admission policies and criteria in the United States.
- How to plan for paying college tuition?
- Elaborate on ACT vs. SAT.
- Benefits of Distance learning.
- Impacts of China's one-child policy.
- Do students learn better in same-sex classrooms?
- Effect of the No Child Left Behind Act.
- Analyze the history of the relationship between the United States and North Korea.
- Should people be able to donate organs in exchange for money?
High School Research Paper Topics
- Discuss methods to prevent bullying at high schools.
- Study the ways to plan for high school tuition.
- How to handle diseases like AIDS?
- Future of science: Expectations vs Reality.
- Discuss political issues in the Middle East.
- Discuss the personality of Bill Clinton as a politician.
- Critically analyze the revolution of terrorism in the modern world.
- Developing relationships on the internet must be avoided. Why?
- How natural disasters have affected developing states?
- Examine Barack Obama’s life before and after the presidency.
Research Paper Topics on Health
- Effects of Fast-food culture on regional cuisines.
- Should there be a minimum weight limit for models?
- Unique school lunch ideas for kids.
- Should steroids be legalized?
- Should indoor smoking be banned by the government?
- The politics of climate change in Canada.
- Deafness and other communication disorders in children.
- Eye disease, vision health, and blindness - Major symptoms and causes.
- A detailed guide to Global health security - Threats and opportunities.
- Effects on household air pollution on human health.
Research Paper Topics on Abortion
- Critical analysis of the Unborn Victims of Violence Act.
- How to protect abortion clinics and the rights to protest?
- Facts of the Partial-birth abortion.
- Can abortion be viewed as murder?
- Is it right for abortion clinics to profit from terminating pregnancies?
- Adverse psychological effects on families that decided to do an abortion.
- Abortion as an ethical problem.
- Correlation between religion and abortion.
- The number of abortions may affect the birth rate - Discuss?
- The prohibition of abortion may have dreadful consequences.
Psychology Research Paper Topics
- Causes of depression among youth.
- Define Memory and its types.
- Why do we dream?
- Criminal psychology vs. Forensic psychology.
- Child abuse - Ways to prevent it.
- The relation between obesity and watching TV.
- Discuss the psychological reasons for mental stress.
- Elaborate on the link between mental health and child obesity.
- Are later mental health issues related to childhood trauma?
- Divorce – The influence on children
Related: Psychology Research Topics - 200+ Interesting Ideas
Research Paper Topics on Adoption
- Foster care: Issues and Concerns
- An overview of children with special needs.
- How is cross-cultural adoption raising sensitive issues?
- Psychological issues faced adopted children.
- Standard procedures of same-sex couples looking to adopt.
- Adult adoption - Discuss complete processes and laws.
- Positive and negative aspects of DNA profiling.
- Discuss the problems after adopting a child.
- Open adoption is the biggest lie. Discuss.
- Should adopted children be allowed to contact their real parents?
Research Paper Topics on Information Technology
- Instant messaging affects literacy. Discuss the reasons?
- Violent video games are the reason for juvenile delinquency.
- Best Spotify and related apps you should try.
- Discuss the long-term effects of living in a technological world.
- How has social media helped to solve world problems?
- Information technologies and the internet has made work from home the norm. Explain.
- Impacts of digital learning on schools and education.
- How technology is impacting globalization and the global economy?
- How can people use information technology to change the world?
- The Internet does need control and censorship. Comment.
Research Paper Topics on Media and Communication
- Say NO to online censorship.
- Ways to detect bias in the news media?
- Impacts of advertising on children.
- Reality TV - How it works?
- Freedom of speech - Why is it an important right?
- Explore the examples of political correctness.
- Significance of media in war against crimes.
- Examine the concept of freedom & rights of expression in a democratic state.
- Describe the conflict between Media and religion.
- Discuss the history of the film industry.
Research Paper Topics on Computer Science
- Open Source software and its importance.
- Everything you need to know about Blockchain.
- A beginner’s guide to SEO basics.
- Is Mac safer than windows?
- Is Artificial Intelligence the right thing to do?
- Neuron networks and machine learning.
- What is the importance of big data analysis?
- All about computer assistance in support services.
- Concept of database architecture and management.
- Digital security vs private information.
Sociological Research Paper Topics
- Overview of Gun laws in the United States.
- Hate crime - A brief review.
- How to prevent identity theft?
- Discuss the causes and types of Poverty.
- Trends and patterns in interracial marriage.
- Airline safety tips - A beginner’s guide.
- Impacts of social media on youth.
- 5 Types of Birth control options.
- A critical analysis of youth cultures.
- Class Conflict in the 21st century
Related: Interesting Sociology Research Topics & Ideas for Students
Research Paper Topics on Religion
- Discuss the popular new age religions.
- How do religions influence morality?
- Elaborate on the concept of freedom of religion.
- Briefly discuss the world's religions with no god.
- The rise of modernism in Religion.
- Christianity and the global economic order.
- What is the role of the Church in the 19th century’s social action?
- American’s view of Church sex abuse scandals.
- Ways to handle religion in the workplace.
- Discuss the relationship between world religions and science.
Research Paper Topics on Bullying
- Top punishments for bullying.
- Cyberbullying and how to stop it.
- Types and consequences of Individual bullying.
- Should laws be enforced to stop bullying?
- Can bullying be a cause for murder?
- What should school authorities do to fight to bully?
- How to identify and manage workplace bullying?
- What does it feel like to be bullied?
- Do bullies specifically choose their targets in school?
- Do people abandon unwanted behavior when they graduate school?
Research Paper Topics on Culture
- Explore the evolution of rap music.
- Is Ethnic conflict avoidable?
- Does religion influence culture and to what extent?
- How do different cultures deal with deaths?
- Culture of my community - A detailed overview
- Gender roles in different cultures - A cross-cultural perspective.
- Discuss the History of cultural revolutions.
- 10 most prominent cultural events of the 20th century.
- Struggles of Interracial Relationships
- The power of Mentoring minorities in the workplace.
Argumentative Research Paper Topics
- Who is to blame for homelessness?
- What should the ideal age for alcohol consumption be?
- Curfews for young adults - Discuss the reasons and consequences
- Can a family survive on the US minimum wage?
- Money itself isn’t the cause of evil but how you choose to use it.
- The death sentence should be activated in every country of the world.
- Smoking in public places has to be banned.
- Should court proceedings be documented for television?
- Why should we lower the voting age?
- Pros and cons of globalization
Persuasive Research Paper Topics
- Kids should be allowed to have their own pets. Elaborate on the reasons.
- Reasons why junk meals must be banned from schools.
- Analyze the productive ways to spend money.
- Parents should be more engaged in the educational process. Why?
- Vaccines have more negative effects than positive ones. Discuss.
- Patients with chronic diseases should be sent to mental hospitals.
- Why is it important to stop the production and selling of weapons?
- What are the major reasons to remain honest in life situations?
- Hobbies do help people with their careers. How?
- Why is an effective time management strategy important for jobs?
History Research Paper Topics
- Cause of the decline of the Mughal dynasty.
- How did the Roman Empire fall?
- Effects Julius Caesar had in Rome.
- How did Genghis Khan conquer Persia?
- Discuss the use of weapons in Ancient Civilizations.
- Bridal Ceremonies in Ancient Rome - A brief overview.
- Social Relationships in Medieval Europe - A case study.
- Understanding the impacts of Apartheid.
- Describe the main causes of the Thirty Years War.
- History of gender bias in England.
Research Paper Topics on Arts
- Differences in the Italian Renaissance and Northern Renaissance.
- Impacts famous artists had on the world.
- Explain the art of Ancient Egypt.
- Art therapy is used to heal people. How?
- Is photography an art?
- Discuss the history of the Bauhaus Movement.
- Discuss the concept of censorship in art.
- Digital art and its rise.
- Hollywood vs. Bollywood.
- Fine art vs. Folk art.
Easy Research Paper Topics
- Steps involved in making a music video?
- Discuss the factors that can stop sexual harassment.
- The negative impacts of feminism on the employment culture.
- How to deal with personality orders?
- Why white-collar jobs losing their significance?
- Discuss the consequences of homeschooling.
- Effects of using plastic bags.
- How to solve the issue of gender discrimination at workplaces?
- Factors that can influence the behavior of an individual.
- Impacts of social networks on mental health
Research Paper Topics on World Problems
- Discuss the examples of human rights violations.
- Consequences of the shortage of natural resources.
- What is the difference between global warming and climate change?
- The crisis of water pollution and shortage.
- Violence and Conflict Resolution in the changing world order.
- World Trade and Tourism - A global agenda for sustainable development.
- How can we overcome the challenge of corruption in governance?
- Discuss the brief history of space exploration.
- What are the effects of migration on the urban population?
- Discuss top wild animals’ endangered species.
Research Paper Topics on Criminal Justice
- Should the police use body cameras?
- What is White-collar crime? Discuss examples.
- Penalties for DUI (Drinking Under the Influence) should be made stricter. Why?
- Discuss laws that protect animal rights.
- 10 facts about hate crimes.
- Causes of Sexual harassment in the workplace.
- What action should the government take to address police brutality?
- Ethics of Assisted suicide.
- Is it possible to cure a serial killer?
- What can we do to curb domestic violence?
Funny Research Paper Topics
- How companies can improve their odds by becoming a unicorn?
- Pop art vs. lady gaga.
- The art of erasing bad memories and only remembering good ones.
- Can chicken feathers determine the speed of tornados?
- Harry Potter and the world of wizards.
- Do You Love Using Your Surname?
- Why Do Most People Love Watching Funny Animal Videos?
- Do You Know What Your Pet Dog Is Thinking?
- All Men Know How To Pick The Right Clothes.
- School Dropouts Are The Best In Our Society.
Good Research Paper Topics
Here are some good research paper topics for you to choose from for your paper.
US History Research Paper Topics
- The American Revolution
- The American Civil War
- The US Constitution
- The American West
- US Presidents
- US Foreign Policy
- The Cold War
- Civil Rights in America
- Latin America and the US
- The Environmental Movement in America
Research Paper Topics on Social Media
- Social media and its effect on human behavior
- The impact of social media on society
- Social media and marketing
- Social media and cyberbullying
- The rise of social media
- Social media and privacy
- Social media addiction
- How social media is changing the way we communicate
- The pros and cons of social media
- Social media and democracy
Research Paper Topics for English Linguistics
- The history and evolution of the English language
- The different dialects of English and their origins
- The influence of English on other languages
- The impact of technology on the English language
- The role of the media in shaping the English language
- The challenges of teaching English as a second language
- The importance of English in the global context
- The future of the English language
- The impact of globalization on the English language
- The role of English in education.
Controversial Research Paper Topics
- Religious freedom
- Violence in media content.
- The limits of self-defense
- Psychological effects of hate crimes
- Gender equality will never exist.
- The medical tourism issue.
- Bloggers are not journalists.
- Is politics always a dirty game?
- Religion is not based on science
- The ethical issues of human cloning.
Nursing Research Paper Topics
- Causes of childhood obesity
- Psychiatric patient ethics
- Common measles complications in children
- Features of the classification of nurses.
- What is epidural?
- How does alcohol addiction happen?
- Proper treatment of sleep disorders
- Major causes of Type II diabetes.
- Drive-thru pharmacy
- Ethical rules on infertility
Research Paper Topics in Chemistry
- Acids properties
- Lewis structure study
- Gas laws application
- The future of inorganic chemistry
- Define and describe steroids
- What is enzyme kinetics?
- Photons and physical chemistry
- Chemistry in everyday life
- Metal oxides in electronics
- The main stages of gasoline production
Ethical Research Paper Topics
- Is donating organs morally justified?
- Ethics and homeless people treatment.
- Is it legal for judges to lie?
- Is assisted suicide not the same as murder?
- The basic notions of ethics
- Bias among employees
- Is it mandatory to give flu shots to kids?
- Role of ethics in friendship
- The issue of truth in ethics
- The correlation between ethics and philosophy
Environmental Research Paper Topics
- Water management
- The scientific standpoint for climate change
- Noise and light pollution
- History of environmental studies
- How and why does acid rain forms?
- Can humans survive without bees?
- Reinforcing the ozone layer: is it possible?
- Evaluate what is meant by urban ecology
- Noise pollution and modernization
- Long-term repercussions of plastic pollution.
Politics Research Paper Topics
- Election ethics
- The interdependence of modern leaders
- The impact of political scandals
- News coverage media bias
- China-US relations in 2022
- The Swedish immigrant crisis
- How did the Afghanistan war start?
- Chinese political thought
- Children soldiers in Africa
- The foreign policy of your country.
Science and Technology Research Paper Topics
- Evolution of war technology
- 5 major fields of robotics
- How to eliminate stalking?
- The impact of digital learning on schools
- Discuss the internet of things story
- How can the internet be improved?
- Types of software security
- IT project management
- Can technology help people quit smoking?
- Cloud computing vs. artificial intelligence
Law Research Paper Topics
- The different types of crime
- Business laws in Africa
- Environmental and wildlife crimes
- The pros and cons of federalism
- Is it time to reform US family law?
- Women and religion
- How does the law regulate drugs?
- The way biometrics affect cybersecurity.
- Importance of capacity to contract
- Intelligent design
Social Research Paper Topics
- Rise of hate groups in society
- How are secure social networks?
- Class and parenting styles
- How has fast food affected society?
- Political culture in the U.S.
- Socialism and its effectiveness
- Class stratification and inequality
- Impact of bullying on mental health
- Importance of marriage
- What are the benefits of arranged marriage?
The above-given interesting research topics will help you write a perfect research paper.
If you still need more good ideas, seeking essay writing help is what most students prefer.
Keep in mind that the writing industry has a lot of fake and inexperienced writers. And if you're not careful, you might be scammed easily. So when choosing a paper writing service, you need to be very careful.
Similarly, most companies do not hire subject specialists with advanced knowledge and expertise. This is where MyPerfectWords.com comes in, the best essay writing service .
Our professionals have Master's and PhD degrees. We work with an aim to provide 100% original and high-quality papers.
Similarly, our company makes sure to assign a subject specialist to work on your research paper at affordable rates. We will not only select research paper topic ideas for you but also assist in writing your paper from scratch.
Simply place your order now to work with our best essay writer to get your paper done.
Nova A. (Literature, Marketing)
Nova Allison is a Digital Content Strategist with over eight years of experience. Nova has also worked as a technical and scientific writer. She is majorly involved in developing and reviewing online content plans that engage and resonate with audiences. Nova has a passion for writing that engages and informs her readers.
People also read
Writing A Research Paper - A Step by Step Guide
Research Paper Example - APA and MLA Format
Research Paper Outline - A Complete Guide with Examples
Research Proposal - A Complete Format Guide and Template
How to Start a Research Paper - 7 Easy Steps
How to Write an Abstract - A Step by Step Guide
Learn How To Write A Literature Review In Simple Steps
Qualitative Research - Methods, Types, and Examples
Types Of Qualitative Research - Overview & Examples
Qualitative vs Quantitative Research - Learning the Basics
Psychology Research Topics - 200+ Interesting Ideas
Learn How to Write a Hypothesis in Simple Steps
Types of Research With Examples - A Detailed Guide
Quantitative Research - Types & Data Collection Techniques
Interesting Sociology Research Topics & Ideas for Students
How to Cite a Research Paper - Learn with Helpful Examples
Interesting History Research Paper Topics (2022)
How to Write a Research Methodology for a Research Paper
Share this article
We value your privacy
Website Data Collection
Are you sure you want to cancel?
Your preferences have not been saved.
200 Best Research Paper Topics for 2023 + Examples
When you enroll in university, you are maybe not even aware of the number of obligations that you might have to face over the course of your studies, and this might make you feel overwhelmed and exhausted especially when it comes to writing and submitting research papers on time. Most students feel highly stressed and anxious about their assignments and exams that most of them feel lost and don’t even know how to choose the most appropriate topic for papers that would suit their writing style as well.
Luckily, our professional research paper writers are here to bring you a list of research paper topics 2023 that might as well be useful, interesting, and thought-provoking, which are the qualities of great writing tasks. If you are having difficulty writing a paper, even with the most competent resources, topics of interest, and earnest efforts to write the very best, then it is time to seek help from the website that writes essays for you .
Table of contents
Easy research paper topics, interesting research topics, controversial topics for research paper, funny research paper topics, argumentative research topics, natural sciences (physics, chemistry, ecology, biology), criminal law and justice, history (world, us, anthropology), medical research topics (dentistry, nursing, psychology).
- Business (marketing, economics, and finance)
Science and Technology (Computer Science, Math, Statistics)
Social sciences (social work, political science, sociology).
- Social Media
- Social issues
Choosing a field of interest.
- Checking Available Material
Making a Research Question
Brainstorming research topic ideas, create a thesis statement, list of best research paper topics 2023.
Having a comprehensive list of topics for research papers might make students think that the most difficult part of work is done. However, research topics still need to do enough research and gather a lot of data and facts from reliable sources in order to complete their research paper. Then again, this can be quite demanding since a lot depends on what kind of paper you yourself want to write. Is it supposed to be a funny one, an interesting one, a controversial one or a simple argumentative essay?
We understand that the research paper writing process piles up, so writers from our custom research paper writing service work hard to provide only the best research paper topics. If you want to succeed in college, you can pay someone to write a research paper to ensure a brilliant future. Knowledge is power, and Paperell is here to help you learn as much as you can so you can bring home A’s and B’s every semester.
- Evolution of anime – what made anime popular worldwide?
- Is diversity a good thing within a team, and why?
- Is traditional music of a country more important than the international music that is heard everywhere?
- What makes one sport more popular than another?
- How would the world be different without the discoveries of Nikola Tesla?
- Why do people change their leisure time activities as they get older?
- What hobbies are the most popular with children and adults in your area?
- Are there hobbies you can do in your own country but not when you travel abroad? Why?
- How to deal with procrastination?
- What stereotypes are related to people from your country, and is there any truth to those?
- Are older people always wiser and correct in their choices and opinions?
- Is it true that technology can cause a gap between generations?
- Are friendships between men different from friendships between women and why?
- Can amusement parks have an educative purpose apart from an entertaining one?
- What other common sayings such as “an apple a day keeps the doctor away” exist in your language?
- What makes people in your country happy?
- What makes some nations happier and more prosperous than others?
- Does beauty, in general, determine how much a person will be successful in life?
- What are some pros and cons related to plastic surgery?
- How to be better at communicating with friends, family, work colleagues, and strangers?
There are some subjects that might trigger different responses from people because most of these subjects are controversial and are prone to raise a series of other issues. Most of these research titles are related to politics, religion, gender roles, as well as human relationships.
- What is the proper punishment for serial killers and rapists?
- What caused two state-of-the-art planes to crash and what can be done to prevent further accidents?
- How to prevent an increase in the number of homeless children?
- What is the future of religion?
- What is the morality in the world of cam girls?
- What is the background of all terrorist attacks in the world?
- What is it like to be transgender nowadays?
- How to deal with a huge wave of immigrants?
- Can police unions prevent corruption?
- What can developed countries do in order to help underdeveloped countries?
- How to stop being a couch potato?
- Why did we start celebrating Halloween Day?
- What are some positive sides of energy drinks and coffee?
- What are some ways to fund a trip around the world?
- Who is the funniest historical figure, and why?
- If you could turn into an animal, which one would you choose to be?
- What makes people mispronounce .gif?
- What comics are funny but educational?
- What is the philosophy behind Assassin’s Creed?
- Why do we talk and act like we are drunk when we become exhausted?
- Do immigrants provide a good or bad impact on a country’s economy?
- Are the virtual world and video games, causing more violence or more antisocial people?
- Why more expensive sports like rowing and tennis should be more accessible to social and ethnic minorities?
- Adoption rights for single parents: why are laws so strict?
- City development: should we keep the grid pattern or move to the new approaches to city planning?
- What makes communism the best political system in the world?
- Did Andy Warhol manage to make high art more accessible to a wider audience?
- How can raising the minimum wage help increase economic mobility?
- Should steroids be allowed in sports?
- What can be done to prevent cyberbullying?
- Is obesity a problem for the American population?
- Should all students have free access to the Internet for education?
- Students should be able to change a college curriculum due to their objectives
- English will be the official language in most countries in a few decades
- Each student should learn at least three foreign languages
- The advertisement industry is all a lie
- Education should be less expensive in order to involve more students
- Steroids should be forbidden
- The attention to sports in the education system is too big
- Diets are not as effective as they are presented to the masses
- Eight hours is a normal duration of sleep for every student
- Risky sports should be forbidden
- Parents shouldn’t allow their children to watch adult films
- Tobacco and its smoking should be forbidden in most the countries
- Government should do more for fighting alcoholism in the US
- Energetic drinks can be more dangerous than usual alcohol drinks
- Filming court proceedings shouldn’t be forbidden in any court
- People should be allowed to start voting at the age of 25
- The usage of animals in research should be forbidden
- Each person who causes environmental pollution should be punished
- The government needs to work more on protection from tornadoes
- Indians that are living in the US are not true representatives of their kind
- Each following financial crisis will be worse than previous
- Acceptance rates it should be much higher than now
- The legalization of gay marriages shows the high level of development in the county
- How to fight corruption more effectively?
- Communism as an ideology and communism in USSR are many different things
- Chats of the web teach children of a bad grammar
- When using modern technologies, people become less intelligent
- The usage of messengers has a bad influence on the culture of communication
- The educational system should use more advantages of modern technologies
- The number of working hours should reduce from time to time
- The government should support social activists in their projects
- Cloning animals and people should be banned
- Modern art is mostly a lie and shouldn’t be called an art even
- The movie can never be better than the book on which it is based
- Song lyrics become worse with every year
- Buying a lottery ticket is a bad idea for those who want to win
- That is the problem that sports competitions take much more attention than scientific events
- The feminist movement becomes a problem for women who don’t join it
- Democracy is not the best ideology for the modern world
- Social media are not as dangerous as they told to be
- Are diaries still popular?
- Are public cameras a problem for privacy?
- Is homeschooling a problem for the socialization of children?
- All subjects should be optional so students can choose other subjects
- This is the problem that modern films are crueler than old films
- Historical films should be based only on facts
- Do artists risk their mental health when playing psychopaths and killers?
- People should read more books
Sample Research Papers
- Argumentative essays examples
Research Topics By Field of Study
Research proposal ideas can be found in many fields of study that allow you to be innovative and do extensive research to put forward new ideas and opinions.
- Why being warm usually makes us feel tired and sleepy?
- What causes visual abnormalities such as special frequency?
- How is it possible that birds flying in bad and cloudy weather conditions don’t get disoriented?
- When gas becomes plasma, what actually happens to molecules?
- Why is skin on a face more sensitive to breakouts and touch than on any other part of the body?
- What are some proofs of period alignment?
- How do allergies to nuts and other fruits happen?
- What chemical processes keep canned drinks mixed together and not separate into their ingredients?
- What steps can be taken in third world countries to prevent ecological catastrophes?
- Why are carbs bad for people who are insulin resistant?
- Biology examples
- Chemistry examples
- Physics examples
- Ecology and Environmental Issues examples
- What have been some of the best decisions of the Supreme Court?
- What have been some of the worst decisions of the Supreme Court?
- What does it mean when jury rules that Bayer must pay in the Monsanto cancer trial?
- How can students protect themselves from giving back students’ loans?
- What can be done to improve family law?
- What countries have the worst legal systems?
- What countries have the best legal systems?
- What are the main flaws of the legal system in the USA?
- How to change abortion laws to pro-choice?
- How corrupted are legal systems in South America?
- Criminal Justice examples
- Criminal Law examples
- Criminology examples
- What is Operation Pastorius?
- Was the Norse religion practice in the Danelaw, and to what extent?
- Why did the Soviet Union want to invade Afghanistan?
- Why did the Germanics abolish their religion?
- What are the most important events in the history of Latin America?
- Who foresaw the encroachment of Nazism?
- What’s the story behind the Yugoslav wars in the 90s?
- How did Greece become such a philosophical hotspot in ancient times?
- How did people study foreign languages before the 19 th century?
- Who profited the most from wars in the Middle Ages?
- History examples
- American History examples
- What improvements in dentistry marked the 21 st century?
- How can implants provide a permanent solution to a lost tooth?
- What nutrition can prevent insulin resistance?
- What are the main symptoms of PCOS and how to deal with them?
- What are the pros and cons of antipsychotics?
- What are the benefits of massage therapy?
- How many treatments to Autism are there?
- What are the potential risks of water birth?
- How can music therapy foster lactation?
- How is ageism impacting mental health and addictions?
- Medicine examples
- Nursing examples
- Psychology examples
Business (Marketing, Economics, and Finance)
- Who are the greatest businessmen in the 21 st century?
- Who are the greatest businesswomen in the 21 st century?
- How has business etiquette changed in the past few years?
- How can the knowledge of culture help in doing business better?
- What are the qualities of team leaders and how to become one?
- Why are stock markets becoming more and more popular?
- What is an all-female working environment like?
- How is Islamic banking system different from interest?
- How does finding gold and diamonds affect the economy?
- How do offshore bank accounts work – the case of Panama papers?
- Business examples
- Marketing examples
- Economics examples
- Finance examples
- What are some great scientific breakthroughs in the 21 st century?
- Why is the first image of a black hole so important?
- What is the significance of the number 0?
- How do fractals have an unlimited perimeter but limited area?
- How to be able to perform rapid mental calculations?
- What is the math behind the NBA Draft lottery?
- What is the fourth dimension?
- What is the difference between parametric and non-parametric statistics?
- How are the concepts of something impossible or random mathematically proven?
- Who are some great mathematicians of the modern age?
- Computer Science examples
- Math examples
- Statistics examples
- What social issues marked the beginning of the 21 st century?
- Is there a difference in how men and women gain power?
- How has the role of a woman in society changed over time?
- Is the study of humanities necessary to develop critical thinking?
- How to prevent child marriages?
- Why has socialism been mostly unsuccessful?
- How does globalization affect politics?
- What is identity politics and how it affects society in general?
- How can child welfare in underdeveloped countries be assured?
- How to make the most out of clinical supervision?
- Political Science examples
- Sociology examples
Other Great Research Paper Topics:
- How are the latest improvements in the automobile industry working on the protection of the environment?
- What makes smartphones so resistant to bugs and viruses compare to computers?
- What is the story behind the Internet of Things?
- Why didn’t vector graphics become mainstream instead of pixels?
- What are some advances in technology related to medicine?
- What are Molten Salt Nuclear Reactors?
- Can everything be solar powered?
- How are old recordings converted to new formats?
- What are the differences between open and closed systems?
- Why do smart our electronic devices get slower over time?
- Technology paper examples
- What do all religions have in common?
- Why are younger generations less religious than older ones?
- How are terrorist attacks in religious buildings affecting religion?
- What are the new beliefs that are becoming popular?
- What are some main differences between Orthodox and Catholic Christians?
- Why did we stop believing in multiple gods?
- What impact do religions have on the perception of the good and the bad?
- Are Abrahamic religions the only ones that punish non-believers?
- Can religion help to change the view of women in Arabic cultures?
- Historically speaking, what has been the impact of religions in wars?
- Religion paper examples
- Are social networks making us lonely and unsociable?
- How to protect children online?
- What are some ways to identify pedophiles on social media?
- Why do people have the need to post everything online?
- How to stop cyber-bullying?
- Can LinkedIn help people find jobs or further education?
- How to make a break from social media?
- Why are younger generations obsessed with the number of followers and likes?
- Is there such a thing as social media addiction?
- Who are world-famous influencers on social media?
- Social media paper examples
- Why do people listen to sad music when they are in a bad mood?
- What music to listen to when you want to relax?
- How has hip-hop culture changed over the years?
- Why is classical music becoming more popular these days?
- What music to listen to in order to foster memorization?
- Why are successful musicians more prone to become drug-abusers?
- Who was Doris Day?
- Why influences the popularity of soundtracks?
- What are some all-time romantic songs?
- What makes some music festivals more popular than others?
- Music paper examples
- What are some successful anti-bullying programs at school?
- Is student-centred learning effective?
- Are there any benefits of taking a year off and what to do during the year?
- What visual aids can be implemented in all classrooms?
- What are some innovations in the USA Education system?
- What is FERPA and what impact does it have on education?
- What encourages students to cheat on exams?
- How to prevent students from plagiarizing their research papers?
- What education system is the best – the USA, Finland or France?
- Education paper examples
- Why do more and more women suffer from PCOS?
- What is insulin resistance and how to fight it?
- What are some ways to encourage obese people to change their habits?
- How can Israeli colon cancer research be a true breakthrough?
- What health problems can be caused by emotional stress?
- Can have too much coffee cause health problems?
- How to lower blood pressure using natural medicines and herbs?
- Is there a link between online bullying and depression?
- Is it appropriate to fine parents for skipping vaccination?
- Are antibiotics becoming useless and obsolete?
- Health paper examples
- How can immigration crises be solved?
- Is there a way to stop the raising of racism?
- Why are there still anti-LGBT communities and?
- How to encourage parents to educate themselves on vaccination?
- Is there a way to stop sex trafficking in underdeveloped countries?
- Is it too late to stop global warming?
- Why are people fighting against abortion?
- Are children becoming over-dependent on technology?
- Which countries are known for media censorship?
- What are the good and bad sides of digital currencies?
- Social Issue paper examples
- Is going vegan one way to protect the environment?
- How can an average person contribute to saving the environment?
- What can schools do to make children be more aware of environmental issues?
- How is global warming affecting wildlife?
- How are pesticides harming bird populations?
- How is plastic ocean pollution harming the oxygen we breathe?
- What eco-friendly products are better than the original ones?
- What catastrophes in history had a bad impact on the environment?
- Can solar technology become more sustainable?
- How to attain land for reverse desertification on a tight budget?
- Environment paper examples
How to Select The Best Research Paper Topic?
Selecting research topics might be a nightmare for all college students since you are expected to write about something new even though nobody expects you to make some groundbreaking discovery, especially not during the early years of your studies. However, there are some tips on how to choose the right topics for research papers that can make the whole process much easier.
Topics for the research paper are not easy to find since there are different fields that have been already exhausted from the beginning of the year, but you can always go for an area of interest. In order to choose great research paper titles and interesting things to research, taking some time and contemplate on what makes you be passionate about a certain subject is a good starting point. This is, after all, of great importance since you won’t be able to commit fully to writing an amazing assignment if you are not so interested in the subject. Once you managed to decide which topic might be of your interest, you should check the available materials you could use to foster your research. You should analyze the available materials carefully in order to make the right choice on which subject you could thoroughly work on and expand it to a whole other level. If you skip this step, you might end up putting yourself under a lot of pressure to meet the due date of the research essay, topics, and research paper submissions. Then again, if you enjoy conducting experiments and your chosen research topic allows you, maybe you could have a survey conducted with the help of your peers and write a paper after analyzing the data.
Topics for research papers might be demanding, but the most challenging part is related to making a research question. This is where you need to think hard about what your work will be focused on and what other people might find thought-provoking. You need to be able to motivate people to read your research essay even though they don’t know much about the subject itself.
Dedicating your time and knowledge as well as skills to finish a paper based on well-done research asks for a lot of self-discipline. However, if you feel stuck at any point looking for research paper ideas, you should ask your peers about research proposal ideas. Sometimes, getting a second or even third opinion can help you brainstorm your research ideas much better. In addition, you can always turn to your mentor who can help you identify an issue or an idea you should work on.
Some students still say that the most difficult stage of writing a research paper for them was to create a thesis statement. Throughout the studies, students have the chance to write a lot of essays on a variety of subjects that are not so closely connected, but they have never had to create a thesis statement. Therefore, most professors encourage students to ask for help in order to have the best possible ground statement for their research proposal topics.
You May Also Be Interested In
Abstract paragraph - a summary of the main ideas of the text; it's not just…
Some people say that history is boring, and a lot find it completely obsolete. However,…
How to Write a Discussion Section One of the final sections of a research report…
Chances are academic writing will not pass you by if you are attending any educational…
Always Ready to Help
Running out of time.
Type to search
Make sure there's no plagiarism in your paper
Write your essays better and faster with free samples
Generate citations for your paper free of charge
Top 200+ Ideas For Research Paper Topics 2023
Updated 02 Mar 2023
Some say the most difficult part of writing a text – is to start. But topic selection even precedes this starting point. This activity takes off a lot of time, and sometimes imagination just doesn’t work in your favor. That’s where our list of best research paper topics will come in handy.
We collected the most unhacked and powerful ideas to turn the average piece of writing into a research paper . Discover what is a research paper and how to choose suitable and interesting research topics with our help.
Writing a research topic on your own requires either producing one from scratch (based on your interests and goals and potentially, on some brainstorming) or getting inspiration from a number of sources, like preassembled topic lists, course material, teachers, real life, news headlines, published research in the respective field, etc.
What are the 3 Types of Research Questions?
Before formulating your research questions ideas, note that there are 3 important types of research questions:
- descriptive – these employ careful and comprehensive observation of a phenomenon/ event, subject, trait, etc. in order to characterize it in detail and to potentially reveal important/ interesting/ undescribed aspects or patterns.
- causal – these investigate whether altering some variables leads to changes in other variables suggesting a causal relationship.
- comparative – these look into similarities and differences between two or more entities
What is a Good Research Paper Topic?
Features that tend to characterize good research questions are as follows:
- specific and concrete – investigation goals and (expected results) have to be clear and focused
- original – investigating aspects/ entities/ relationships that have not been researched before
- highly important/ impactful for community/ society/ a professional field.
- highly relevant for potential readers/ reviewers
- trending – emerging disciplines/ topics spark more interest due to their novelty and yet unexplored potential
College Research Paper Topics
- The bias in the selection of the college internships and scholarships
- The problems of reverse discrimination in post-college employment
- Should multicultural education concepts be implemented at a greater depth?
- The drug and alcohol abuse on college campuses
- Does social media help students to find appropriate information and learn?
- The psychological disorders and the support groups in modern colleges
- Should people with ADHD and Autism be separated from the other students?
- The art of college political campaigns
- Pros and cons of religious colleges
- Should college athletes be paid and provided with additional advantages?
Essay Examples Relevant to College
- College Education
- College Life
- College Students
- Paying College Athletes
Health Research Paper Topics
- The challenges of deafness and communication difficulties among special needs students
- The concept of global health security
- The ways to decrease household air pollution
- How the information about infectious diseases is distributed online
- Should people be allowed to know more about climate change issues?
- The privacy factor and the personal health issues
- The role of fitness ads in exercising practices
- The healthy food standards are not always unbiased
- The role of social media in the medical care system
- The psychological aspect in the perception of allergies
Essay Examples Relevant to Health
- Public Health
- Physical Exercise
- Infectious Disease
Research Paper Topics on Medicine
- Is life-sustaining therapy needed when it’s futile?
- The role of placebo treatment
- How to avoid animal testing?
- Pros and contras of medical marijuana
- Is being a vegetarian useful for child’s health?
- How obesity affects our health?
- Vaccines for kids: their usefulness or damage
- Should prescription drugs be advertised directly to consumers?
- Do doctors turn their patients into drug addicts?
Essay Examples Relevant to Medicine
- Animal Testing
Need more writing assistance?
Connect with our top writers and receive writing sample crafted to your needs.
Education Research Paper Topics
- How can standardized tests improve education?
- Does college graduates make more money?
- Should education be cheaper?
- How will modern technologies change the way of teaching in the future?
- The creation of particular learning methods for blind children
- Social networking and school
- Metal detectors at schools
- The effects of contemporary teaching methods
- The role of technology in lesson planning
- How to manage bullies and take actions against bullying at education institutions?
Essay Examples Relevant to Education
- Standardized Testing
- Special Education
- Technology in Education
Read also: 150+ Best Sociology Research Topics
Environmental Research Paper Topics
- How to reduce global warming?
- How to stop wasting paper and save trees?
- Can overpopulation be managed?
- Should more films about environmental issues be produced?
- Human impacts on forests
- Underground effects of earthquakes
- How to elaborate the optimal adaptation of buildings threatened by hurricanes?
- Is it possible to predict hurricane impacts?
- Is nuclear power safe for humans?
- How dangerous is GMO food?
Essay Examples Relevant to Environmental Research Paper Topics
- Nuclear Power
- Genetic Modification
Research Topics on Entertainment and Sport
- Are social networks good for our society?
- Do violent video games make kids angry and cruel?
- Is it necessary to forbid using animals for entertainment?
- Do beauty contests set the non-achievable beauty standards?
- Are newspapers going to be replaced by online sources of information?
- How gaming consoles influence the youth?
- Should women be allowed to compete against men?
- What television programs should be banned?
- How tv shows impose fake moral standards?
- Can the use of social media, such as Facebook, lower teens’ self-esteem?
Essay Examples Relevant to Entertainment and Sport
- Pop Culture
- Social Media
- Violence in Video Games
- Impact of Technology
Research Paper Topics on Media and Communication
- Should the media programming of ads aimed at children be made illegal?
- The role of mediation in the media
- Should bloggers be considered as journalists?
- The ethical side of modern news reports
- The freedom of speech online
- The copyright law restrictions and the vague concepts
- The importance of psychology and communicative skills in journalism
- The role of gender in interpersonal communication
- The modern standards of nonverbal communication
- The negative influence of Instagram and body image distortion
Essay Examples Relevant to Media and Communication
- Role of Media
- Effects of Social Media
Research Paper Topics on Politics
- Should the drinking age be lowered?
- Should adults have the right to carry a concealed handgun?
- More gun control laws should be enacted
- How can the international community prevent Iran from developing nuclear weapons?
- How can ethnic killings be stopped?
- Current prospect for peace between Israel and the Palestinians
- What world would be like without wars?
- How to avoid workforce reduction?
- Should the death penalty be allowed?
- Is socialism possible?
Essay Examples Relevant to Politics
- Gun Control
- Death Penalty
- Political Systems & Ideologies
Psychology Research Paper Topics
- Is autism a disease or a development idiosyncrasy?
- How to forecast and shape behavioral patterns?
- How to manage child violence?
- How to deal with a mental breakdown?
- The impact of classical music on the work of the brain
- How insomnia affects our health?
- How bad dreams influence our mood?
- Is stress really harmful?
- How depression impacts the immune system?
- Intellectually gifted people: how is it possible?
Essay Examples Relevant to Psychology
- Youth Violence
Science & Technology Research Paper Ideas
- How is light being used to treat cancer and other diseases?
- What is the current evidence that Mars has had water and maybe life?
- Can nanomedicine potentially extend the human lifespan?
- What is the future of computing and artificial intelligence?
- The role cryogenics may play in future
- Can alternative energy effectively replace fossil fuels?
- Is it beneficial for wild animals to have interactions with people?
- What evidence do we have that CMB is the result of the big bang?
- How will self-driving cars change the way people live?
- Can using system like bitcoin help protect identity theft?
Essay Examples Relevant to Science & Technology
- Artificial Intelligence
- Identity Theft
Research Topics Ideas on Culture
- A new comprehension of past events
- The origin of racial discrimination
- The roots of antisemitism
- The impact of advertisements and commercials on modern art
- The most remarkable cultural achievements of the 20th century and their influence on our society
- Cultural revolutions throughout history
- How pop culture trends influence youth?
- Should pregnant celebrities be exposed on magazine’s covers?
- Why was Greek cultural influence so important for the ancient Mediterranean world?
- Why was the Victorian period a time of cultural change?
Essay Examples Relevant to Culture
- Western Culture
Research Paper Topics on Math
- The influence of algorithms
- Is it possible to build a winning monopoly strategy?
- Why is 'x' the unknown?
- How math changed the world?
- What's the solution to the McDonald's math problem?
- How do math geniuses understand extremely hard math concepts so quickly?
- Should high school math contests be banned?
- What is the relationship between music and math?
- Are math formulas ever used in real life?
- What are some of the most confusing math problems ever?
Essay Examples Relevant to Math
- Mathematics in Everyday Life
Research Paper Topics on Business
- How do dirty business tactics work?
- Can business be started without money?
- Notorious business leaders
- Entrepreneurship and family business
- Ethical decision making in everyday work situations
- What are the most effective strategies for promoting a small business?
- Is it worth it to expand the business into a new region or country?
- How to build a successful startup
- The role of international business and sustainable development
- The impact of climate change on international business strategies
Essay Examples Relevant to Business
- Business Analysis
- Decision Making
- International Business
Research Paper Topics For Middle School
- Is going vegan the healthiest choice for you?
- Is the greenhouse effect artificial or natural?
- The causes, effects, and consequences of earthquakes
- How much computer games can one play without getting addicted
- Princess Diana and her dynasty
- Why is competition so critical for humans?
- How did poetry evolve?
- Methods used by ancient sailors to navigate the globe
- Gender roles in children’s books and cartoons
- Who is the greatest general who has lived on the planet?
Essay Examples Relevant to Middle School
- Studying at School
- Middle School
High School Research Paper Ideas
- The ways to address drug addiction cases in high school
- The physical vs digital communications
- The body image and the K-Pop culture
- The importance of school volunteering and social work
- The changes to the academic process due to Covid-19
- The legacy of the Trail of Tears
- The role of motivation in becoming a better student
- The role of books in print and the libraries
- The ways to improve school safety
- The role of parental involvement in school work
Essay Examples Relevant to High School
- High School
- Drug Addiction
- Digital Communication
- Academic Achievements
History Research Paper Topics
- What were the impacts of World War II on the rights of women?
- What factors initiated the WWII
- Is liberalism the most optimal solution?
- What were the consequences of women suffrage movements
- What was the impact of Martin Luther King’s protest against the Catholic church
- What is the most effective military strategy of all time
- How has Asian art influenced contemporary art
- How have different monetary systems affected the development of humanity
- What is the correlation between the Roman and Greek culture?
- Aztec empire and its architecture
Essay Examples Relevant to History
- Martin Luther King
- Women's Suffrage Movement
- Roman Empire
Art Research Paper Ideas
- The reasons why digital museums must be present and made available
- The peculiarities of the Flemish artists
- Should Japanese anime be considered as a separate art form?
- The role of Photoshop and similar digital solutions in the perception of modern art
- The history of photography and the artistic expression forms
- The challenges of the modern artists during social distancing times
- The Middle Eastern perception of color and the light
- Ancient Rome's role in the creation of the sculptures
- Should the artists be allowed to represent their works in public parks?
- The importance of art education in middle schools
Essay Examples Relevant to Art
- Contemporary Art
- Visual Arts
Literature Research Paper Topics
- The American dream literature
- How does harry potter reflects the ideal of the time
- Can you show a new aspect of prose based on the independent investigation
- The prose of women suffrage movements
- The dawn of literature on modern society
- Why do authors use metaphors and similes
- Evaluate and discuss the allegory of 2 random novels
- What factors are helpful in allowing you to identify the genre of a novel you are reading
- Is fanfiction considered an independent literature
- Romance and sex in Renaissance
- Fiction as an instrument of propaganda
Essay Examples Relevant to Literature
- American Dream
Law Research Paper Topics
- How is the Islamic law perceived around the globe
- Is ECOLEX a pathway to environmental law
- Why is it critical to learn the GATT documents?
- What does the European patent office do?
- Mass communication law
- Impact of women’s authority in different countries on the planet
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the international criminal law court tools
- Detailed analysis and report of the comparative criminal procedure
- Exciting outtakes from the inter-American human rights library
- Does the US copyright office really help writers defend their businesses?
Essay Examples Relevant to Law
- American Laws
- Criminal Justice
- American Criminal Justice System
Religion Research Paper Topics
- The depiction of bisexuality in the Bible
- Christianity and economics
- Modernism and religion
- Religion and sex
- Pastrol and religious counseling
- Intelligent design
- Church and social action
- How do teenagers perceive religion
- Women and religion
Essay Examples Relevant to Religion
Argumentative Research Paper Topics
- Should education be made free for everyone?
- The influencers and bloggers cannot be considered as a job
- The role of military service is the way towards maturity
- Should Internet access be limited during college lectures?
- The death penalty service is not an ethical solution
- Fashion industry creates a bad influence on young people
- The Fairplay concept should be rewarded financially
- Should tobacco be made illegal indoors?
- Religious differences often become the cause of wars
- The majority of mobile applications represent the invasion of privacy
Essay Examples Relevant to Argumentative Research Paper Topics
These are the 200+ topics on various subjects, which you might find useful when creating your own. In case you need help aside from creating topics, you can also order the original research on Politics, Media & Communication, Math, Law, and even Nursing papers for sale on Edubirdie.
How to Choose a Good Research Paper Topic?
While it may seem challenging to come up with a good research paper topic as you try your best to narrow things down, the trick is to choose something that influences you because you know it well and can support your arguments with relevant evidence. The subject should be well-structured and relevant to your thesis statement. Always take time to research the list of sources to compose your topic sentences as well to make them relate to your thesis part. It’s always best to check a good research paper introduction example before you start working on the paper and choosing your topic. Here are the steps to consider:
- Start With Observing Your Interests.
If you are confused with a variety of interesting topics for writing a creative essay, it’s better to decide what interests you the most. Don’t stick to easy research paper topics just to complete the task fast. If you are allowed to freely choose what to write an essay about, use the opportunity to create something unique. Write down the list of your interests and break down every idea into small certain topics. When you have a list in front of your eyes, it will be easier to make up your mind and start considering a particular issue.
Then you should examine what aspect of the topic is preferable for you to outline in your research paper . A list will save you here again. Use pros/cons template to include all the arguments and objections to the issues.
- Come Up With an Argumentative Research Question.
The most challenging part of choosing a competitive research paper topic is finding an aspect that poses some importance for your course and the subject per se. While it may seem that it is sufficient to make a general statement, your argumentation should include a clear research question. Consider asking yourself why you have chosen a particular topic and how your research will make it clearer or provide innovative solutions.
- Study Available Research Topic Ideas.
Since we have already mentioned the dangers of choosing something too broad, it is vital to narrow things down and brainstorm the list of possible research paper ideas that deal with the same subject. In other words, you can write down at least five different subjects and see whether you can find sufficient information to support them with the sources or statistical data. Remember the importance of your topic’s wording!
- Compose Strong Thesis Statement.
It must be done at the same time as you choose your research paper topic because these two concepts must be interconnected. Your subject must reflect your main idea of the thesis statement. Make sure that you have the list of sources prepared in advance to incorporate relevant information in your body paragraphs. As always, they must be the supporting evidence for your thesis statement’s idea and the research purpose.
Get 100+ more unique topics for your paper!
Was this helpful, thanks for your feedback, related blog posts, learn how to write an introduction for a research paper.
Though introduction to any writing is frequently associated with beginning, it's not that simple for an introduction to a research paper. Here you ...
170+ Fascinating Biology Research Topics for Students in 2023
Table of contents A List of Researchable Topics for Biology Abortion, Human cloning, Genetic Researches Biology Topics Behaviour and ...
Receive regular updates, discounts, study guides and more
You have subscribed to EduBirdie news.
Thanks for subscribing!
Check your inbox to verify your email.
A List of 580 Interesting Research Topics [2023 Edition]
In school and college, you will be required to write research papers. Yes — papers in the plural. And that’s the first reason you may want to turn to Custom Writing and seek help with research projects.
Our specialists will write a custom essay on any topic for $13.00 $10.40/page
When assigned a paper, the very first undertaking is to choose from a list of research topics. This is a daunting, even intimidating task, one that many people would prefer to circumvent altogether.
The good thing is:
There are hundreds of exciting and fun research topics for high school or college students from which to choose. With a variety of options, you are likely to find some interesting things to research. When you have good ideas and help available, this task becomes less threatening and more engaging.
But first: Let’s verify you have a complete comprehension of what writing a research paper entails. After all, you can’t be creative with an idea if you don’t know how to write about it. Then, you’ll find numerous interesting research topics for your work.
- 🔝 Top 10 Research Topics
❓ What Is a Research Paper?
- ✍️ How to Find Topics to Write About
⭐ A List of Research Topics
- 💻 IT Topics
- 🏺 History Topics
- 🧠 Psychology Topics
- 🎓 Education Topics
- 📺 Cultural Topics
- 🗣️ Topics for an Argumentative Essays
🔬 Science Research Topics
💉 health topics for research papers.
- 👔 Business Research Topics
- 📚 Literature Topics
- 🗳️ Political Topics
😂 Fun Research Topics
- 👥 Sociology Research Papers
🎯 Specific Research Proposal Topics
- 👩⚕️ Nursing Research Papers
- 🎨 Art Topics
- 🎼 Music Topics
- ✍️ Creative Writing Topics
- 🎈 Other Topics
🔝 Top 10 Research Topics for 2023
- Maintaining social bonds via music
- Use of AI in robotics
- Narcissistic personality disorder: genetic factors
- Mental effects of remote work
- Use of infrared detectors in alarm systems
- Cosmological simulations and machine learning
- Achieving climate-positive agriculture
- Emerging infectious diseases: detection and prevention
- Technology-enhanced education in the post-COVID era
- Disability inclusion in the workplace
If you aren’t clear on what a research paper is, then you won’t get very far when writing one. A research paper is just as its name suggests — a form of academic writing that necessitates the independent investigation of a specified topic and reports the unique results of that investigation.
Suny Empire State College provides a great and exhaustive explanation of what a research paper is.
In order to write a paper, you are required to formulate a research question. This is a question associated with your topic that acts as a guide during your research, enabling you to focus and provide unique arguments.
Before you can produce a research question, you have to choose from countless research topics available. Another useful thing to do would be checking out free sample research papers . With that in mind, let’s examine how you can discover some unique research paper topics.
✍️ How to Find Research Topics to Write About
The choice of a research paper topic can be influenced by a number of factors, including:
Receive a plagiarism-free paper tailored to your instructions.
- The course for which the paper is assigned
- Whether there is a topic assigned to you by the professor
- Whether you are given a broad-spectrum subject area
- How much freedom you are given to branch out and select a topic
Hopefully, you have been given some freedom of choice regarding academic paper topics. However, if you do have some choice in the matter, you might be speculating about how to narrow it down.
You are in luck!
There are a number of ways to effectively comb through the abundance of research paper topics and discover one that will work well for you. Here are some suggestions:
- Ask your professor. Chances are your professor has some fabulous research paper ideas. You can also inquire with other university staff and graduate students for ideas. These people know your discipline well, which can work to your advantage.
- Browse through scientific journals and research papers , but be sure to adhere to the most recent research possible. You will definitely find interesting ideas in published papers that would make great research paper topics.
- Investigate other professional and government publications for research project ideas. Again, keep to the most recent publications within the last three to five years, if possible.
- Browse through your library catalog to uncover the most interesting areas of study in your field.
- Take notes everywhere you go! It doesn’t matter if you are in class listening to your professor, traveling, reading a magazine, or watching TV. Research paper ideas are absolutely everywhere! Write things down whenever you come across something unique and interesting, and you just might find a topic to pursue.
When it comes down to it, deciding on one of the many academic essay topics is the most substantial step of the process.
Once you have that narrowed down, you can focus your research and write a remarkable paper. Now, we want to give you some help. What follows is an extensive list of the most interesting research topics to get you started.
Just $13.00 $10.40/page , and you can get an custom-written academic paper according to your instructions
Now that you have a good idea of how to search for college research paper topics, you are ready for some suggestions. You might like one of them right off the bat, or you might be inspired by a particular topic and write something related to it.
Want to know the best part?
By the time you are finished reading this academic topics list, you will feel much more equipped for writing your research paper. For even better result, have a brainstorming session with a research topic generator to introduce a bigger variety of options.
💻 IT Research Paper Topics
Perhaps some of the best college research topics these days are in the IT field. Explore one of these interesting ideas in your paper:
- Has big data changed our lives for the better? Big data is a trendy study subject. Large IT companies use it for purposes such as advertising and logistics. However, it has also raised substantial privacy concerns over non-consensual data gathering. Are the benefits companies get by collecting your data worth them learning everything about you?
- Neural networks are algorithms that can learn to solve problems. Both their name and method of learning are derived from how the human brain works. Can neural networks lead to the creation of a true AI? If so, how soon?
- The current state of cryptography and how it may develop. The entire Internet’s security relies on a relatively small number of ciphers. If they were to be broken, the potential damage would be immeasurable. How likely is that to happen? What challenges are we likely to face in the future?
- The pros and cons of transitioning to cloud technologies. Cloud services are very convenient for various purposes. They might not work as fast as physical devices, but they are portable, cheap, and very convenient. Should humanity switch entirely to cloud services?
- What issues does automation raise, and how can they be solved? Robots don’t get tired and work very precisely. That’s why automation is great for business. Many manufacturing companies rely on robots heavily in their production. However, robots in the workplace mean fewer jobs for humans. When most blue-collar positions disappear, what will humanity do?
- Should we keep using multi-factor authentication?
- Are big tech companies monopolistic in their behaviors?
- Is remote work the future of office jobs employment?
- The pros and cons of software ownership vs. subscription models.
- Explore the evolution of wireless communication standards and their implications.
- Describe the Internet of things and its effects on security.
- The issues of IPv4 and the adoption of IPv6.
- How do computers manage to generate random numbers?
- The infrastructure and contingencies of the World Wide Web.
- Are computers entirely unbiased in their treatment of people?
- Procedures to enhance IT security
- New methodologies and challenges to IT management in health
- Interrelation, patterns, and existing theories on behavior and IT
- Common services center vs. community multimedia center: selecting the correct variety of IT service
- Racial and gender issues in the IT domain
- Innovative theories regarding computer imitation of a human being
- The impact of digitization of medical records on the IT domain
🏺 Topics for your Research Project on History
Human history is full of exciting events, and despite what you might believe, not all of them have been explored. There are many incredible history research topics, such as:
- The history of the Chinese Empire over the millennia. The Chinese Empire is rarely discussed in history classes as much as its Western counterparts. However, it existed for over two millennia, only falling in 1912. Many curious events happened in that time that merit discussion.
- The Ottoman Empire and the Barbary slave trade. The word “barbarian” comes from the Barbary Coast in Africa. It was infamous for its pirates, who raided European vessels for loot and slaves. Only ending in the 19th century, this phenomenon can make for an interesting case study.
- The rise and fall of Ancient Greek city-states. Ancient Greece is often viewed as mostly monolithic and united against threats. In fact, it was comprised of numerous city-states that fought as much as they cooperated. Research the region’s fascinating and nuanced history.
- The effects of the printing press on the world. The printing press was invented in 1440 AD by Johannes Gutenberg. Before it, each copy of a book had to be written by hand. It limited the literature’s availability dramatically. What effects did mass production of books have on Europe and the world?
- The fracturing of Christianity : causes and effects. Since its inception, Christianity has gone through multiple schisms. Some of them were remarkably violent. As a result, there are now three main Christian churches and a multitude of lesser ones. Explore what caused believers to split apart into Orthodox Christians, Catholics, and Protestants.
- The underlying causes of the World War I.
- Provide a detailed history of the Hundred Years’ War and its results.
- Holy Roman Empire: from successor to the Romans to a Nazi symbol.
- Liberalism in national politics: emergence and evolution.
- The history of the world as a series of conquests.
- Were the Crusades motivated purely by religious devotion?
- Why did Texas secede from Mexico to the United States?
- Apartheid in South Africa and its heritage.
- Centers of scientific activity throughout history.
- How did China’s geography influence its history?
- Palestine and the Golan Heights
- Premises, progression, and consequences of the cold war
- The most remarkable revolutions in history
- Has Slavery transformed the development of the western world?
- Could damage from the bubonic plague have been diminished?
- Strange medieval family laws and their influence on society
- Life in London in the 15th century
- Religious cults in ancient societies
🧠 Psychology Research Paper Topics
Psychology has to offer plenty of interesting ideas for you to research. Just look through the discoveries made over the past decades, and you can understand that the human mind holds as many mysteries as the deep ocean.
It is why we would like to suggest a list of great experimental research topics in psychology. The science of human behavior is even more exciting when you can try your theories on practice.
If you still can’t decide on the topic for your research paper or thesis, just look through this collection of compelling proposals to give yourself an inspirational boost.
- What is the correlation between personality and taste in literature? It’s obvious that people with similar interests get in groups. Does it mean that they have similar personalities, though?
- Conformity in college and high school: a scientific approach. Check how your course mates tend to agree with others and don’t forget to write it down!
- Do men and women have different short-term memory mechanisms? It’s quite easy to conduct an experiment, but be careful approaching it in terms of gender issues.
- Optical illusions from the perspective of people with creativity skills. What if people who tend to be artistic and creative can see something in the common optical illusions that others can’t?
- The gut feeling: how do you feel when others stare at you? Some studies showed that you are more likely to wake up in the night because someone is staring at you. It’s creepy, though…
- Tricking the taste buds: how does smell affect the taste? How much can the smell of an onion confuse your sense of taste while you are eating an apple?
- What is the Stroop Effect, and how does age influence it? Check whether the age of the participants influences their ability to name the colors.
- Does having a symmetrical face make us seem more attractive? It is very rare that someone has perfectly identical left and right sides of the face. But how noticeable is it?
- Analyze the capacity of the short-term memory of your peers. The easiest way is to measure it by memorizing words and comparing the numbers later.
- Do people eat more popcorn when watching movies of a specific genre? Chewing something is almost a must-do in the cinema. But what type of movies triggers this behavior more than others?
- What signs of social media addiction are noticeable in public? Spend some time in the local coffee shop, watching people on their phones, and note any signs of addiction they show.
- The psychological effects of having breakfast: learning performance. Check if your course mates who have breakfast are more successful in learning than those who don’t.
- Music vs. body: how does your body respond? Measure different biomarkers while listening to different types of music. Maybe you’ll find perfect motivational beats!
- What color should your room be to improve your learning outcome? Blue is more calming than red, which is often used in sports halls. But what about boosting your learning abilities?
- Favorite color as a result of childhood attraction. Try to trace the childhood memories of your friends. Maybe their favorite color is pink because they had pink walls in their room.
- Biomarkers and colors: what is the correlation? Check how seeing different colors can stimulate specific responses from the body, for example, in heart rate.
- Colors and mood: can the color of your bedsheets make your day? The first thing you see in the morning is quite important. How would a specific color affect your mood?
- What is the correlation between stress levels and procrastination? There is a relation for sure, but does procrastination cause stress or the other way around?
- How much can we trust the long-term memory? Ask people to tell you about some random event from their past. Then, ask them to do the same later. Do the stories match?
- Negative influences of sleep deprivation on social behavior. Track some students’ behavior when they don’t get enough sleep and see how it affects their relationship with others.
- The origin of phobias and fears : engaging the monster within
- Dreams : are they messages from within?
- Mechanisms of thinking: it’s all in your head
- Factors that influence behavior and character
- Mechanisms of aggravating habits
- The function of short- and long-term memory
- Why people yearn for their past
- What entices people to amass the most preposterous things?
- Is autism a disease or a natural variation of the norm?
- The impact and outcomes of social networks and mental health
- How memory works: recalling the essential
- How depression impacts the immune system
- A phenomenon-oriented approach to the study of depression
- How to manage post-traumatic stress disorder in children
- Depression as a cause of celiac disease
- Fighting depression with techniques to relieve anxiety
- The consequences of depression and relationship problems
- Eating behaviors in different cultures
- How behavioral patterns develop
- How to forecast and shape behavioral patterns
- Differences and similarities in the behavioral patterns of diverse cultures
- Is there a genetic link to optimism that can shape behaviors and attitudes?
- The causes and consequences of insomnia
- How to combat child violence
- How defense mechanisms and behavioral patterns work
- How bilingualism works: the secret of processing mechanisms
- How fear-related beliefs fit into the cognition process
- Following the cognitive process involved in anxiety disorders
- How to fight emotional distress
- Unusual mental health cases and cognition deviations
- Applying psychological approaches to ethical reality
- How motivation plays a role in human development
- The shared elements of self-affiliation and self-determination
- An examination of the causes and results of drug and alcohol abuse
- New ideas regarding the peculiarities of rational and social development
- How practicing a healthy lifestyle cures disease and promotes wellness
- Conflict solution in parent-child relationships
- Evaluating the challenges of preterm development in children
- How to battle cognitive deficit in Parkinson’s disease
- Is attention deficit disorder a neuropsychological problem?
- Examining the process of making decisions and taking risks
- The impact of music genres on how the brain works
- How to fight childhood disorders
- Shattering long-standing myths about ADHD
- Intellectually gifted people: how is it possible?
🎓 Research Paper Topics on Education
Research project ideas around education are always changing. This has resulted in a wide range of research topics, such as:
- Computers in classrooms : useful tool or obstacle to equality? Computers have proved to be capable of improving many aspects of our lives. For instance, they allow children to interact with content instead of just consuming it. However, computers further the disparities between those who can and cannot afford one. Explore these factors in your research paper.
- A review of potential methods for solving America’s education crisis. The US invests a substantial portion of its budget into education. However, the system’s equality is average at best. You can study proposals on how we may change its design for the better. Choose the most promising ones, or suggest one of your own.
- Individualized vs. group learning : which is better suited for current reality? Every child’s learning should be tailored to their specific situation. Unfortunately, there are far more children than teachers. Answer these questions: is group learning the only available option despite its drawbacks? Can we reduce its shortcomings by blending the models?
- Are standardized tests helpful or damaging to children’s education? Standardized tests are convenient from a bureaucratic standpoint. They convert children’s learning into numbers that are easy to work with. But the practice is often criticized for prioritizing memorization over understanding. Should standardized tests be abandoned?
- How should the education system approach children with special needs? Special needs children have experienced a broad range of treatment throughout history. What are the current ideas on how to teach them? What are their special needs in an educational context, and how can schools satisfy them?
- Are the world’s best education systems based on similar foundations?
- How can schools help children maintain their mental health?
- What does equality of opportunity mean in the context of the school?
- Review how the essential qualities of a teacher evolved since 2000.
- Should every school student aim for higher education ?
- What traits define an excellent teacher, and can they be cultivated?
- Is homeschooling a viable alternative to public schools?
- The school choice debate in the US: arguments for and against.
- Authoritative sources: what qualities make information available on the Internet valid?
- Is cheating on tests an expression of an educational failure?
- Where theory encounters reality in gender issues
- Test anxiety with regard to contemporary methods of teaching
- The effects of contemporary teaching methods
- The mental process behind human learning
- The interpretation of IQ test results
- Should children be rebuked when they misbehave?
- How to prevent bullying and harassment in schools
- The creation of particular learning methods for blind children
- Positives and negatives of contemporary methods of teaching and state-of-the-art innovations
- The function of technology in lesson planning
- Is there a one-size-fits-all strategy for education?
📺 Cultural Research Topics for Papers
Perhaps there is nothing more complex than human culture and how people have interacted with each other throughout history. For this reason, these cultural topics might be of interest to you:
- Harlem Renaissance: how a single neighborhood created modern African American culture. In the 1920s, numerous African Americans moved to the Harlem neighborhood of New York. Influenced by the ideas of thinkers such as W. E. B. Du Bois , they built the foundations of Black culture and art. How did this happen?
- Is third-wave feminism still a movement for equality? First-wave feminism gave women equal rights with men. Then the second wave started the fight with discrimination. However, third-wave feminism claims that the second wave failed, especially with regards to matters such as race and ethnicity. Are its claims valid, and what does it work to achieve?
- Is the Western way of thinking the only correct one? Non-Western civilizations lay claim to different schools of thought that emphasize different viewpoints. Should Westerners adopt aspects of non-Western philosophical thought?
- Are the factors that informed the Constitution still relevant? The Constitution was created in a different time than now. Some of its provisions, notably the Second Amendment , have been challenged repeatedly in recent years. Explore if the ideas of the Founding Fathers still apply today.
- Should the postmodern school of art be considered art? Postmodern art is challenging to define in plain terms. Many people are confused when a seemingly random series of brush strokes sells for millions of dollars. Think of how such artworks fit into the history of art movements.
- The impact of advertisements and commercials on how people comprehend the world
- The implicit messages of mass media: what you see is what you get
- How the most remarkable cultural achievements of the 20 th century influenced contemporary art
- The repetition of cultural tendencies: the Greeks did it first
- Social roles adults endorse to children via toys
- Social models mass media bestows on teenagers and adults
- Eating habits in dissimilar cultures
- The origin of racial discrimination
- The segmentation and integration of humans
- The impact of AIDS on mankind
- A new comprehension of past events
- Unearthing a common language: divorce prevention and family therapy
- Painting a portrait of the average American family
- The roots of antisemitism and how it manifests today
- A case against cruelty to living beings
- An examination of the current job market and unemployment
🗣️ Argumentative Essay Topics
It is easy to find unique argumentative research paper topics. After all, we live in a crazy world in which all kinds of interesting things happen. Here are some suggestions:
- Is the Electoral College a better system than the popular vote? The United States uses the unique Electoral College system for its presidential elections. Over the centuries, calls have been made to change it to the popular vote approach. So far, these attempts have been fruitless. In this debate, whose position has more merit?
- Should the continued expansion of the government be reversed? Starting small, governments around the world took on more and more functions. As a result, they now guarantee the operation of many services. They also collect massive taxes and demonstrate bureaucratic inefficiencies. Is there a valid argument for privatizing most public services?
- Should the US continue acting as the world’s peacekeeper? The US’s military is present in many areas around the world. Usually, they take the form of military bases and peacekeeping forces. However, its efforts often fail, with Iraq as a recent example . Should the nation continue spending its resources abroad?
- Does the public or private healthcare produce better results for the cost? The US’s healthcare system is often criticized for its massive costs and underwhelming quality. There have been calls to both make it more private and more public. Which of the two approaches ensures a more affordable, efficient system?
- Is teenage gender transition ethical? Recently, medical professionals in the US have started transitioning teenagers with gender dysphoria . Yet, some of them de-transition later. Should the practice continue regardless?
- Political commitment and television
- Should marijuana be legalized?
- Can people of different races ever understand each other
- Abusive relationships : where to draw the line on what relationships should Be allowed to exist
- Are there realistic limitations on abortion ?
- The many guises of violence in society
- The impact of women on world history
- Are social interactions possible without lies?
- Dealing with overpopulation : can it be accomplished ethically?
- Torture : is it ever acceptable?
- The ethics of using animals in research
- Human dependence on computers: beneficial or harmful
- Post-9/11 security measures : an invasion of privacy or good sense
Science is always bursting with new and exciting topics as we delve deeper into the mysteries of the universe and technology. Here are a few topic suggestions:
- The potential of space resources and the technologies for extracting them. Space contains a vast quantity of resources, many of which are rare or expensive on Earth. Plans to use them have been arising for a long time. Can we implement any of them in the near future, and do they justify the costs?
- Recent promising developments in cancer treatment and their validity . Cancer is a significant concern for humanity largely because it cannot be treated without harming the body. However, ideas such as targeted medications and imitations of whale biology have promised an end to this problem. Research them and assess their validity.
- Large-scale recycling methods and their effectiveness in reducing waste. Most of the resources humanity uses are still on the planet in the form of waste. Some, such as fossil fuels, cannot be recovered, while metals and many others can. Is it possible to address resource scarcity through large-scale recycling? Is it economically viable?
- Advantages and disadvantages of proposed thorium nuclear reactor designs. Thorium has been touted as the solution to the problems of uranium-based atomic reactors. It’s not as dangerous and produces less waste. Is it indeed superior, or should its issues prevent its use?
- Potential benefits and issues of genetic modification . Genetic modification is broadly used but also criticized by many. It has its benefits, but critics argue that overreliance may lead to unexplored side effects. Are there reasons to believe these claims?
- What cloning has in store for humanity : altering the personality
- How nanotechnology will impact modern science
- Will uranium isotopes precipitate the next scientific revolution?
- How psychoactive drugs influence the central nervous system
- Deafness and using echolocation
- The role of erythropoietin and calcitriol in the human body
- The process of feeling pain: treatment and pain relievers of the future
- Is nuclear energy too hazardous to use?
- Nuclear weapons: a responsibility for which no country is prepared
- People’s impact on climate change: the cost of a technological breakthrough
- Key issues and potential solutions for toxic waste disposal
- Are the effects of global warming reversible?
- The future of NASA
- Endangered species : causes and concerns
- Black mold: the bathroom invasion
Just like science, health care is always changing, particularly as technology advances. With new discoveries in disease research and new technology being developed every day, the following topics are great examples of what you can write about in your paper:
- Race and ethnicity-based differences in normal health indicators. People of different races and ethnicities tend to have varying normal health indicators. For example, African Americans tend to have a higher blood pressure than average. What causes such differences? Why do medical workers need to understand them?
- The effects of the Affordable Care Act on American healthcare. The Affordable Care Act, colloquially known as Obamacare , was introduced to improve health insurance’s affordability for disadvantaged people. However, the costs of insurance have grown since through premiums. Did Obamacare cause this increase, or did it happen independently?
- Strategies for prevention of obesity and associated heart disease risks. Heart disease is a leading cause of death in the United States. Obesity, which is also prevalent in the nation, is associated with the condition. How can the healthcare system reduce the rates of obesity and associated heart disease?
- For- or non-profit hospitals: which offer superior treatment? Both for- and non-profit hospitals are private entities. The former operate as businesses, while the latter only seek to cover their costs. Is the former’s drive to compete and lower prices preferable to the latter’s not charging a profit margin?
- Mental health in the United States: issues and proposed solutions. Mental healthcare is a complicated topic. Many conditions are difficult to diagnose, and some are associated with stigma . Conflicts of interest often arise among psychiatrists, incentivizing them to diagnose fake conditions. How can mental health be improved in the US?
- Should medicine be more focused on the prevention of illnesses or their treatment?
- Is it possible to eliminate a disease forever?
- The development of prosthetics: current technologies and promising ideas
- Barriers to the adoption of electronic health systems and how to overcome them.
- Sedentary behavior and sports: what are the health outcomes?
- Psychological treatment for adolescents: how to address their needs.
- Caring for seniors: current problems and potential solutions.
- US nursing shortage: causes and potential effects on the nation’s health.
- The effects of circumcision on the health of newborn infants.
- Analyze the experiences of children with autism in school and at home.
- Should image scan radiation be reduced to a minimum level?
- Health care and insurance : concerns and problems
- The most likely outcomes of recent health care reform
- Old theories and new methods of sports injury rehabilitation
- A look at celebrities who have battled cancer
- A comparison of conventional and alternative cancer treatments
- How clean needle programs benefit society
- The need for education on nutrition in school
- The impact of diet on health
👔 Business Research Paper Topics to Write About
Business is a broad field, so there are plenty of topics you can write about, such as:
- Best contemporary practice in green supply chain management for businesses. Green supply chain management aims to overturn the stereotype of polluting factories. Companies that adopt it seek to generate as little waste as possible and require their suppliers to do the same. What policies do researchers currently recommend for this purpose?
- Corporate social responsibility: theoretical framework and practical implementations. Corporate social responsibility is an approach where a company seeks to give back to the community where it works. It’s a popular concept, often discussed in business schools. But how does it translate into practice?
- The effects of different office arrangements on the productivity of employees . Offices have evolved substantially over the 20th century. Cubicles replaced isolated rooms, and today open offices are popular. Is there a meaningful difference between these different arrangements? Are the changes improvements or lateral movements?
- Remote work and its effects on the operations of businesses. Remote work is more popular than ever. It seems convenient for workers, but some companies worry that they will stop being productive without oversight. Are their concerns reasonable?
- A cross-cultural comparison of leadership styles. In the West, a number of leadership style theories have crystallized that are considered best. However, other regions use distinct approaches that work for them. They’re also not rushing to change to the Western model. Do Western styles work best everywhere, or are they limited to the appropriate mindset?
- Social media marketing strategies and the determinants of success.
- Compare the functions of administration and management.
- Prevention of organizational misconduct: barriers and strategies.
- Review the latest developments in performance management theory and practice.
- What is the future of e-commerce business environments ?
- Innovation in the workplace: current thought and generation methods.
- How does outsourcing influence business performance?
- Describe the effects of kaizen and total quality management on performance.
- Discuss economic viability in corporations that operate at a loss.
- Overtime work, employee well-being, and company performance.
- Deliberating in the secrets of effective leadership
- How time management influences the prosperity of a company
- How to resolve a conflict between staff and management
- The function of diversity in the workplace of the 21 st century
- Management by walking around: effective or fruitless?
- Should businesses be regulated: pros and cons
- Social media and word-of-mouth in the digital age
- How the digital age has transformed small businesses
- How mobile technology is altering the workplace
- The future of the franchise
- How the millennial employee is transforming the workplace
📚 Literature Research Paper Topics
Sometimes, there is no surrogate for a great paper on literature, and with the changing world, there are always innovative ways to observe literature, even the classics. Here are a few topic suggestions:
- The depiction of the American Dream in The Great Gatsby . Jay Gatsby first appears as an example of the American Dream. Starting poor, he becomes wealthy and popular in the city. However, he does not achieve his desires and stays unhappy. You can research how the novel criticizes the concept while also reinforcing its idea.
- The evolution of Japanese literature in the Meiji Era. The Meiji Era began after the end of Japanese isolationism. Due to encountering new cultures, its art evolved rapidly. Writers such as Akutagawa Ryunosuke and Dazai Osamu created unique works. From what context did they emerge?
- The traits of 20th century dystopian works. The worlds of Aldous Huxley, Ray Bradbury, George Orwell , and others are bleak. However, they are all substantially different. Can you distinguish unifying themes in the stories that these writers tell?
- How does literature reflect contemporary social issues ? Writers often try to draw attention to problems of their time. Dickens wrote about the exploitation of the poor, and Langston Hughes discussed racial discrimination. Can this trend be traced across most literature?
- Classic vs. modern poetry. Classical poetry follows a variety of rules, such as rhymes and stanza organization. Contemporary poets often reject these constraints and create works that are closer to prose in form. What caused this change?
- Study the Four Great Works of Chinese Literature as cultural reflections.
- Examine the influence of romantic tendencies on Walther Scott’s works.
- What issues are raised in contemporary African literature?
- Analyze Milton’s interpretation of Biblical myth in Paradise Lost .
- What characterizes the depiction of war in Heller’s Catch-22 ?
- Discuss real and fake loyalty in King Lear .
- How was grotesque used in 19th century American Gothic fiction?
- The Old Man and the Sea : Hemingway’s depiction of the unconquerable spirit.
- How were gender issues depicted in 19th and 20th-century feminist literature?
- Compare the themes of The Iliad and The Odyssey.
- The innovative era: poets of the 21 st century
- A dissection of the most illustrious novels in history
- The hunger games: over and above pulp fiction
- The future of copyright
- An examination of racism in novels from the 1960s and 1970s
- The perception of exile in literature
- Culture and literature: which affects which?
- An examination of homosexuality in literature
🗳️ Political Research Topics
The world of politics is ever-changing. Understanding the complex mechanisms that regulate our lives is challenging. That’s why a research paper is a great way to clarify the matter. Whether you’re interested in global or local affairs, this section has got you covered.
- What is the origin and purpose of powers separation in government ? Most modern governments are separated into three branches: legislative, executive, and judicial. Thus they limit each other to avoid government overreach. How was this system founded, and how does it work?
- The structure of the legislation approval process in the US . Every bill has to be approved by the Congress , the Senate, and the President. What factors can hinder the process?
- A comparison between the two-party system and multi-party nations. The US is often critiqued for its two-party system by nations that have numerous parties. With that said, a common counterargument is that American parties made of people with diverse views. How do the political climates of the US and multi-party democracies differ in practice?
- The purpose and effectiveness of term limits for government positions. Some government positions, such as that of the President, are limited to a specific number of years. At the same time, jobs in the Congress and Senate are not. Discuss the purpose of term limits and say if they’re effective.
- Pros and cons of globalism as a political philosophy. The concept of globalism requires worldwide bodies that supersede governments. It looks past nations and ignores their interest in favor of global benefits. Is this approach valid, or are there problems with it?
- How does the European Union membership affect its countries?
- Review the evolution of China’s political system in the 20th-21st centuries.
- The threat of terrorism in a world without ISIS.
- Discuss the issue of mass incarceration in the United States.
- What were the causes of the Soviet Union’s collapse ?
- Write about violations of human rights worldwide and their causes.
- Examine the critiques of capitalism.
- What are the political aims of the Black Lives Matter movement?
- Review the methods for effectively combating governmental corruption.
- The issues of democracy and how to overcome them.
- The American policy of intervention
- The future of the European union
- Causes of world hunger
- Iraq’s weapons of mass destruction
- The Justice system and juvenile criminals
- Afghanistan—success or stalemate ?
- Was media coverage of SARS adequate
- The new world war: fighting terrorism
- Same-sex marriage: are laws keeping up with changing attitudes?
- BREXIT: good or bad?
Who says you can’t combine academia and entertainment? Great conclusions can come from fun research. The most important thing is to ask the right questions. Check out the following prompts and get inspired:
- Parallel universes, their origins, and potential organizations. Numerous authors have imagined parallel universes. Even some quantum physics theories assert their existence. Are parallel universes slightly different versions of our world, or are they entirely distinct?
- The theories and paradoxes of various time travel mechanisms. Time travel is a popular science fiction trope. It’s also associated with multiple contradictions, such as the grandfather paradox . How do science fiction authors try to overcome these problems?
- The attempts to create the theory of everything. Physicists are trying to develop an approach that would explain everything in the universe. It doesn’t exist yet, as general relativity and quantum physics often contradict each other.
- What are the possibilities and problems of interstellar travel ? Without a method to travel much faster than light, expansion beyond the Solar System is impossible. If it becomes feasible, what possibilities can it offer?
- The history of the moon landing conspiracy theory. The moon landing conspiracy theory asserts that the Apollo 11 mission didn’t occur, and the evidence was filmed on Earth. It tries to find various flaws in this evidence and use them to prove its illegitimacy. How did it emerge, and does it still exist?
- Are people who claim to have extrasensory perception frauds?
- Research stories of the supernatural based on facts.
- What is the origin of the modern Santa Claus?
- If an afterlife exists, what form does it take?
- Does meditation have benefits for physical and mental health?
- Did Nostradamus’s prophecies come to pass?
- Why do some people believe the Earth is flat?
- Does Murphy’s Law always work?
- Examine 19th-century occultism and its prominent leaders.
- Alchemy and the quest for the Philosopher’s Stone.
- How people are affected by the death of a game character
- Challenges faced by people creating their own cartoon
- Beloved comic strip characters and their influence on society
- An examination of UFOs: fact or fiction
- What if aliens do exist: the impact on humanity
- Is there a differentiation between déjà vu and precognition?
- The existence of spirits and how to communicate with them
- Theories regarding the Bermuda triangle
- Investigating alternative cosmology theories
- Does fortune telling have a scientific basis?
- Law of attraction: fact or fiction?
- Men and women’s brain: what’s the difference?
👥 Sociology Research Paper Topics
As an additional interest for studies, a sociology research paper can be written with the purpose of learning this or that aspect of society’s life. You may use personal experience or continue the research started by other authors. Interesting research projects in this area can be based on the following topics:
- Problems of the marriage and family: a divorce research paper . This article can study the relationship in different families and problems that can arise.
- Observance of public behavior standards as the feature of the civilized society. You can describe modern social ideals.
- Comparison of sociological laws in different historical epochs. In your paper, study the attitudes towards various social phenomena.
- The influence of personality on public development and progress. You can describe the power of the personality and what one person can do to contribute to social development.
- Opportunities for searching optimal criteria for the personality socialization . Such a paper aims at revealing the ways of how people can uncover their potential.
- The society’s attitude to global problems : a global warming research paper and the impact of this phenomenon on people’s way of life. Describe this well-known ecological problem in your paper.
- Cultural formation of the personality in the context of modern public reality. This type of work can be connected with describing the ways of people’s cultural development.
- Attempts to socialize adolescents and people with deviant behavior. A research paper on this relevant topic should describe how people who are prone to criminal behavior can correct their way of life.
- Ways of improving the microclimate in the work collective and creating conditions for comfortable work. The theme aims at finding optimal techniques to improve relationships among employees.
- Equality problems in society . A paper on this topic should uncover modern problems connected with inequality and various forms of racism.
- Explore the causes of poverty in disadvantaged communities around the US.
- Review the health and education outcomes of children raised in single-parent families.
- What are the effects of social media on users’ mental well-being?
- Look into the presence of gender stereotypes in popular culture.
- What are the effects of mass immigration on communities and nations?
- Study the effects of lockdown-related social isolation on mental health.
- Is the Internet an adequate replacement for face-to-face communication?
- Research the causes of bullying and potential strategies for its prevention.
- What’s the status of LGBT communities in nations around the world?
- The effects of juvenile convictions on one’s life prospects.
- Write about the American population’s views on the dangers of pollution.
- Explore the stigma and social acceptance issues associated with transgender status.
- How does cyberbullying affect one’s health?
- Review the Internet’s influence on education.
- Assess the rationale of policies that restrict citizen reproduction.
- Research your community’s views on the concept of privacy.
- Health and education outcomes of children raised in same-sex families.
- Explore intergenerational differences in views on social topics.
- How do views on freedom of speech vary among people of different social categories?
- Make a case study on the prevalence of workplace gender discrimination in your community.
It is essential to remember that a good research paper on the subject of sociology will be appreciated by readers if you study a specific social phenomenon in detail, carry out statistical analysis, and perform a number of important procedures. The purpose of a research paper in this field is to cover current public issues, reveal important aspects of various problems, and, if possible, offer optimal solutions. This science requires concrete and well-grounded answers. Any deviations and ambiguous arguments can be regarded as an author’s incompetent attempt to investigate a complex topic.
With all of these topics at your disposal, you might still be feeling a little overwhelmed. However, they are divided into categories to make choosing one easier. It might also be helpful to look at some great research paper samples .
Composing a research proposal can sometimes be a part of a big study. If you not only want to describe a specific problem or to convey an idea to your readers, but also expect to promote your personal theory and receive the approval of a respected scientific community, it’s necessary to choose a topic which allows you to present your own ideas. Different types of writing can be included in this category: an analytical research paper, work on identifying the best ways and techniques for a particular topic, etc. The preparation of research proposal articles has some nuances, and the following topics can be studied:
- The way to conduct optimal trade relationships. Review appropriate techniques and offer specific methods to improve the situation in a particular company.
- The advantages of electronic management systems. This theme will be connected with describing the merits of modern ways of managing specific spheres of production.
- Useful innovations in modern life . Research paper subjects can be different: medicine, sociology, business, etc.
- The best management techniques: methods of control . A paper on this topic should describe the behavioral features of successful managers.
- The implementation of nursing theories in practice . The research paper proposal should have an appropriate scientific basis and describe corresponding medical issues.
- Best practice in the diagnosis and treatment of tuberculosis .
- What challenges are associated with the nationwide adoption of the DNP standard?
- Research current developments in palliative care for senior patients.
- Are there differences in leadership and management styles between genders?
- Assess the effects of tutoring on the educational attainment of school children.
- Compare the preferred management styles in different cultures.
- How do different states’ populations view the legalization of marijuana?
- Write about the underlying causes of Ancient Rome’s fall.
- Challenges in the adoption of electronic health records in medical facilities.
- What are the potential vulnerabilities of the AES-256 encryption standard?
- Research the link between loyalty to a company and career growth.
- How did Dante’s Inferno influence Christian depictions of Hell?
- A case study of Singaporean government and its economic policies.
- Review the financial environment and economic growth of Hong Kong.
- Causes and implications of the human waste issues in San Francisco.
- Assess the prevalence of smoking in the United States.
- Study the beneficial effects of early childhood musical education on later development.
- The philosophical and political underpinnings of the French Revolution .
- What are the effects of successful social media marketing campaigns on videogame sales?
- How did Confucian writings influence Chinese political thought?
The video below provides detailed instructions on how to write a research proposal. It is crucial to follow these rules so that the article to be up-to-date and properly formatted. Any attempts to bring something new are generally welcome; however, it is important not to forget about established rules.
👩⚕️ Nursing Research Paper Topics
A nursing research paper is an academic article that has specific format requirements. Citation rules in particular are very important, for example, an APA research paper format . In order to write a perfect paper and conduct high-quality research, follow the formatting rules and use any of these topics:
- Nursing techniques to care for patients in intensive care units. The summary of your research paper can include a description of the best practical methods.
- How do you implement nursing theories? Your paper can consist of the enumeration of specific nursing theories and the ways of their implementation in practice.
- Patients’ education and useful materials. The theme aims at discovering the best educational materials that would be suitable for patients.
- Ideas on how to achieve a better quality of nursing care. You can offer various interpretations of this topic in your research paper.
- Experienced researchers’ opinions on improving the state of nursing in hospitals. Use the ideas of different authors and don’t forget to follow the citation rules.
- Patient-oriented type of care and its advantages. This scientific research essay can reveal the merits of a specific nursing approach.
- Potential risks for nurses in the workplace. Both a junior research paper and a senior research paper of this theme should competently describe all possible dangers that medical employees can face.
- Care for people of different social backgrounds. If this research paper is written in English, it should uncover the ways how to care for people speaking other languages and having different cultural and social levels of development.
- Do nurses need additional stimuli to improve their qualifications? You can write many interesting research papers on this topic, and all of them can include lists of possible bonuses and incentives for nurses.
- The necessity for nurses’ additional education. A paper on this topic can describe subjects suitable for nursing education.
- How do you promote healthy eating practices in disadvantaged communities through educational programs?
- Research ways of providing preventative care for veterans affected by PTSD .
- Review the strategies of organizing nurse shifts to maximize the quality of care in understaffed conditions.
- Study cases of patient violence toward nurses in the intensive care unit.
- Preventing pressure ulcers in patients with mobility issues.
- Ways of implementing quality improvement in nursing units.
- What cultural competencies and challenges are typically encountered in nursing care?
- Review the methods for controlling delirium in the intensive care unit.
- Propose adjustments in sexual education to spread awareness of STD risks in same-sex relationships.
- Suggest interventions to prevent falls in patients staying at home.
- What are the issues of advanced practice nursing in different countries?
- Strategies for remaining productive under pressure as a nurse.
- Research alternatives to prescribing patients with infections antibiotics that bypass resistance.
- How to design effective interventions for child obesity rates reduction.
- Explore using exercise to maintain the physical well-being of hospital patients.
- What interventions can reduce alcoholism rates in your community?
- Analyze the implementation of evidence-based practice in nursing facilities.
- Ethical standards and issues that arise in the nursing profession.
- Review the methods of providing holistic care to patients.
- The dangers associated with telemedicine in medical-surgical nursing.
The compliance with the specific research project ideas will allow you to write a high-quality paper and will give you the opportunity to conduct research at a high level. Having completed the document, you can summarize and identify its crucial points. Following the rules of formatting is an integral part of working on any academic text.
🎨 Research Project Topics on Art
In the process of writing research articles, it is necessary to adhere to a certain topic. You can choose any theme you want. A research paper will be successful if you stick to your topic and provide a real search for optimal ways of solving a particular issue. There are a few suggestions that can be helpful in the process of writing. If we talk about such an interesting sphere as the world of art, themes can be as follows.
- How is ideology reflected in architecture? Naturally, ideologies are largely represented in media, but they also influence architecture in many ways. You can study this topic at several points in time.
- How does photography represent reality? In this paper, you can discuss if photography reflects reality, interprets it, or constructs it.
- The significance of linear perspective. If you draw a linear perspective on a flat surface, you will create the illusion of depth. Discuss how this magic trick works in your paper!
- Art and the unconscious mind. It’s an excellent topic that lets you explore psychology. Try to answer the questions of how the unconscious mind influences the creation and perception of art.
- The evolution of horror films. This film research paper topic covers everything from silent films to modern horror movies. You can discuss the influence of film noir on the genre, literary works that influenced it, the concept of “suspense,” and so on.
- Physiological aesthetics in Surrealism. It is a known fact that Surrealists were inspired by psychoanalysis and dream imagery. You can explore this topic in a paper or use it for a presentation!
- Deconstruction in architecture. The philosophical movement of deconstructivism influenced many spheres of life and art, including architecture. It allowed the creation of seemingly nonsensical forms and environments.
- Sociology of fine art. This is a relatively new branch of sociology, which deals with arts and social structures of their production. It also includes political trends that influence art, consumerism, and other social phenomena.
- Jewelry as sculpture. This topic lets you explore fantastic avant-garde jewelry and how contemporary artists such as Jeff Koons use it to create sculptures.
- The discourse of Modernist painting in the 1950s. This topic covers experimental and abstract paintings of artists who rejected the realistic approach. Mention political agendas that influenced modernism in the ’50th.
- Abstract Expressionism. Here you can discuss postwar artists such as Rothko and Pollock, as well as their predecessors Ernst and Kandinsky.
- Andy Warhol’s influence on art. This art research paper topic covers not only pop art, but also films, music, aphorisms, the concept of “superstars,” and other aspects of Andy Warhol’s influence.
- The art of street photography. Street photography is usually spontaneous, which helps to create realistic and powerful imagery. Write about the art of photographing urban landscapes and the most influential candid photographers.
- The history of animation. Techniques preceding animation have existed long before the invention of cinematography. Puppetry, shadow play, magic lantern – all these things relate to animation in one way or another.
- Are video games art? This idea seemed impossible in the past, but now many video games are considered art for their use of imagery, music, and compelling narrative.
- Art as a form of protest. This includes protests against tradition or political causes. You may also talk about the role of art in bringing about a change in society.
- Renaissance sculpture. This topic is just as interesting as the Renaissance painting. During that period, the art of sculpture had reached its peak. Sculptors of the Renaissance were influenced by Ancient Greek statues, as well as by Humanism.
- Relationship between architecture and environment. Here you can discuss eco-friendly or “green” architecture.
- Modern ceramics as an art form. In the last decade, ceramics became a very popular art form. From prehistoric pottery to intricate porcelain forms – ceramics is a great medium that can often be compared to sculpture.
- Science fiction in cinema. The earliest science fiction films were created back in the late 19th century by Georges Melies. In 1927, Fritz Lang’s silent film Metropolis revolutionized science fiction cinema. Explore it in your research paper!
- The peculiarities of Da Vinci’s masterpieces. The paper will reflect the talent of the great European master and describe his Best Works.
- The trends of art in Medieval Europe. The topic should uncover modern trends in the art of the Middle Ages and include the description of some styles; it can the article of any format, even a 10-page research paper. The main thing is to fully reveal all the distinctive features of that epoch.
- The history of European Art in the 20th century . The research can be devoted to some trends in the previous century.
- The most outstanding artists in the world’s history. The paper should tell about the most famous artists of all the epochs.
- Why do people appreciate art? This article can include your own ideas concerning the subject.
- How do artists reflect their talent today? Your task is to try to study the methods that modern artists use to attract the audience.
- Skills that a professional artist should possess. The aim of this article is to study some skills that should be necessary for the work of the artist. Regardless of whether you write research papers for sale or not, you should try to express not only well-known ideas but also your personal point of view.
- Is it possible to develop artistic talent? Try to express your ideas concerning the opportunity for mastering proper skills.
- The benefits of cooperation with other artists. This topic touches upon probable advantages that artists can gain when cooperating with their colleagues.
- Themes that are the best for the canvas. You can develop a number of research abstract topics on this theme and convey the best motives to paint that seem the most successful for you.
- The absence of inspiration. The theme should reveal what authors should do to develop their inspiration.
- Chronological order of art development in the world. It is a rather accurate paper that should mention the most significant stages of art development.
- Do people appreciate the work of artists? You could try to study the audience’s attitude toward artists’ work.
- The methods to attract young people to art. The topic is connected with a social issue and aims at popularizing art in masses.
- Do artists need additional knowledge? This theme implies for describing the necessity of education among all the professions, including artists and other creative posts.
🎼 Music Research Topics
Every culture has its distinct music. For many people, music is an integral part of everyday life. Film and theater productions use it to steer our emotions. When writing about music, you can choose from an endless number of ideas to research. Here are some examples:
- Music as a ritual. Back in prehistoric times, music was considered to be a powerful ritualistic practice. Some mythologies even include stories about gods introducing the art of music to humans.
- Early polyphony in Christian Europe. The earliest choral music was mostly performed in a single melodic line. See how it changed when more melodic lines were added.
- Indian ethnomusicology. This interesting music research topic is concerned with the peculiarities of Indian music culture. You can include the discussion of how Indian music influenced psychedelic rock in the ’60s.
- Jazz performance and improvisation. The element of spontaneity is very important in jazz performance, and improvisation is its key component.
- Medieval troubadours and their legacy. Troubadours were poets who sang their own music and played instruments. Their performances differed greatly from the traditional church music of that time.
- Ecomusicology of North America. This research topic allows you to discover the ways in which American landscape and nature influenced music, including Native American music, folk music, and modern songwriters.
- Baroque music. During the Baroque era, many important features of modern music were introduced. You can choose this topic if you like grandiose, dramatic, or playful classical music.
- The classical period in music. This period followed the after the Baroque and was very different from it. You can recognize it by simple structures and minimalistic arrangements. Many of the world’s greatest composers, such as Mozart and Beethoven, lived during the Classical era.
- Classical music of the 20th century. Over the course of the previous century, the music styles were changing like never before. Still, classical music survived, while also transforming itself in accordance with times.
- Music therapy for children. In this exciting music research topic, you can discover how music is used to help children with developmental dyspraxia, autism, ADHD, and other disorders.
- Music and sound in film. Discover for yourself the art of scoring – from improvised piano arrangements of early movies to modern stereo surround sound.
- The history of Italian opera . The Italian language played a key role in the formation of classical singing techniques. This includes opera – an art form that unites music and singing with storytelling.
- The 20th-century music industry. This topic is centered on various ways of recording and selling music. Vinyl records, wax cylinders, cassette tapes, and CDs – 20th-century technology allowed turning music into a business.
- The birth of pop music. The history of popular music begins in the 1950s. The term refers to the songs appealing to a large audience, as opposed to classical or jazz music. You can discuss the elements of early pop music that made it so accessible.
- The ideology and aesthetics of punk rock. Punk rock was enormously influential in the 1970th. Its philosophy of anti-conformity appealed to young people of post-war Britain and the USA.
- The musicology of electronic music. This exciting topic covers the earliest repetitive devices such as Hammond organ, early experimentations with electronics, the first use of computers and synthesizers in songwriting, and more!
- Sampling in electronic music: context and aesthetics. Sampling is a very interesting technique that allows using audio fragments in different contexts. It can be used for aesthetic or political reasons, or as a cultural commentary.
- What is a sound sculpture? A combination of an art object and music, sound sculptures are exciting to research. You can use this topic for presentation and demonstrate sound sculptures in action!
- Dadaism and music. Dadaist ideas of randomness and paradox influenced art as well as music. Discuss the noise compositions and avant-garde sonic experiments that influenced the latter half of the 20th century.
- Robotic musical instruments. You may think that robots playing music is a relatively new idea, but in fact, they date back to ancient times.
✍️ Creative Writing Research Topics
There are more rules to creative writing than one might think. For example, narratives should be coherent, and world-building has to follow certain logic. Analyzing these peculiarities brings you one step closer to becoming a better writer.
- The role of reality within the psychological thriller genre. Psychological thrillers often aim at distorting or questioning reality. Study the ways in which this idea manifests in different narratives.
- Graphic novels and their peculiarities. In modern times comic books are no longer considered to be just for entertainment, and graphic novel format is used to produce award-winning narratives.
- Writing about the past: historical research and archaeology. When your narrative takes place in the distant past, you need to do extensive research to represent the time period properly. One way to do it is to turn to archaeology.
- What is the role of landscape in supernatural narratives? Supernatural narratives rely on the atmosphere to evoke the feeling of uncanny. The setting and landscape are especially important to the writes of the supernatural genre.
- How to write engaging crime fiction? This topic includes the ways of building suspense, the use of “red herrings,” complex character development, and other tips.
- Digital storytelling. Here you can explore how to present your narrative in interactive digital form. It can be a video game, a visual novel, or a walking simulator.
- Writing about the future. When you write about the past, you already know the characteristics of an epoch. But how do you invent the attributes of the future? Discuss it in your paper!
- The influence of the author’s personal life on their writing. People often want to learn more about their favorite writers in the hope to understand their work better. But is there really such a connection between one’s personal and creative lives?
- The role of diaries in creative writing. Almost all writers keep diaries. Sometimes the diaries are published and used in research or literary analysis. But how do authors themselves use their diary entries?
- Creative writing for children. This excellent creative writing research topic deals with the ways of teaching children how to create their own narratives. You can discuss why writing is beneficial for children and how you can encourage them to be creative.
- The art of teaching poetry. Poetry is one of the most exciting art forms that never gets old. However, not everybody appreciates poetry right away. See how you can change it!
- What is the role of nature in romantic literature? Romantic artists and writers took lots of inspiration from nature, using it as a metaphor for one’s life and feelings.
- The role of authorial intent. Some readers think that it’s essential to know what the author wanted to say in their literary work. Others believe that it’s one’s personal interpretation that matters the most.
- A persona in poetry. The lyrical subject is someone who narrates a poem. Some people see it as the manifestation of the author, and others as a fictitious character. And what do you think?
- Degrees of realism in fiction. When writing a work of fiction, some writers use excessive descriptions, while others keep things relatively minimalistic. Discuss the positive and negative sides of these approaches.
- Forms of structure in films and novels: a comparison. Here you can compare different forms of narrative structures used in cinema and literature, such as linear and non-linear narratives, the use of flashbacks, and so on.
- How to write a comedy. Comics say that making people laugh is much harder than to make them cry. Discuss what makes a literary work funny, and how one can write effective comedy.
- The recontextualization of Hamlet. Recontextualization is a process by which something (e.g., a character) is taken from one context and introduced into another context. You can explore this notion through different recontextualizations of Shakespeare’s character Hamlet.
- Writing a dystopia. See what techniques you can use when writing a narrative set in a bleak society.
- Monomyth in literature. This exciting topic deals with the concept of “hero’s journey,” which serves as a basis for nearly all myths as well as countless works of fiction.
🎈 Other Research Paper Topics
You still haven’t found what you were looking for? This section might have what you need! Here you’ll find all kinds of topics. From psychology over physics to sociology, we compiled the most engaging ideas for you.
- American teenagers–can they be called new species?
- William Shakespeare: was this man the author of famous plays and sonnets?
- Do you have any ideas about the field circles?
- Black magic. Does it exist?
- Censorship and its role in forming a society
- The phenomenon of the penny press in the USA
- Symbolism in literature
- Alcatraz and its famous fugitives
- Major sources of stress
- Government grants–how do they work?
- Election falsification: is it commonly used, and what are its main techniques?
- Genetic engineering and your point of view on it
- Stem cell research
- What is a black hole?
- Loch Ness monster and your attitude towards this mystery
- Joan of Arc –did she manage to escape the fires of Inquisition?
- Do some research on techniques of brainwashing
- Who invented the radio?
- There is a belief that American astronauts didn’t step on the Moon. Did they?
- American international policy
- Unique people who changed the world
- Genius ideas that made their inventors famous and wealthy
- Is education a necessary factor to become successful in today’s world?
- Differences between the high school systems in the USA and Japan
- Schindler’s list: the importance of moral roles over wealth
- Educational programs’ impact on professional careers
- Why do college students from all over the world come to the USA to pursue further education?
- Examples of crop circles: Fake or real?
- Humanity’s technological achievements in 2023
- The importance of outlines in books and articles
- Web-designers seem to be using the same template in their works
- Exciting inventions of humankind in the nearest future
- Modern students do not know how to do their homework without access to the Internet
- The original cover page of the Holy Bible
- The development of the MLA style
- The cradle of psychology
- Controversial policies of the USA and the USSR
- How abortion affects a woman’s organism
- What did Homer write about his lifestyle?
- Famous people in the world’s history that did not exist
- Would people have become what they are today without science?
- Parts of the world that will always remain uninhabited
- Philosophical questions that humanity cannot answer for centuries
- Medical stereotypes around the world
- Will global warming ruin America’s economic system?
- The USA government should be thankful for the mass immigration
- The majority of scientific works are useless
- Things to research in the sphere of modern gadgets
- Should sociology make people happier?
- The lack of pure water sources on Earth
- The environment’s impact on people’s health
- Humanity’s steps towards eco-friendly products, cities, and vehicles
- Sherlock Holmes’ analytical mind and deduction skills
- Should parents teach their children how to make the world better for other people?
- Is business the only way to become wealthy in Third World countries?
- Analysis of William Shakespeare’s literary language
- Does a title tell everything about a book’s context?
- The Great Wall: A legendary monument or China’s income source?
- Should families report to the police that their relatives are guilty of something?
- The first websites, available on the World Wide Web
- New challenges to the society introduced by social media
- If you created your government, what would you do for your citizens?
- What career options are prevalent in modern societies?
- Chemistry in people’s everyday life
- Is there any person on Earth, whose life is considered to be easy?
- Is bribery acceptable for criminal justice?
- The most popular sports in Britain
- The population biology of India
- Basic nursing knowledge of everyday life
- Renaissance literature in France
- Think of a technology that would make our atmosphere cleaner
- Development of different animals after forty days on Noah’s Ark.
- What will the food be like in a hundred years?
- Socialization of children with autism
- The medieval art of Scandinavian people
- Different ways to save Earth’s environment from pollution
- Depression in adolescents: reasons and outcomes
- The importance of computer science in today’s world
- Coca-Cola marketing strategies
- Express your opinion on people’s purpose in life on Earth
- How do early childhood memories and experiences influence our lives?
- The history of video games era
- Regulation of bullying in schools by law
- Drugs industry in California, New Mexico, and Texas
- The most prevalent economic issues in Greece after joining the EU
- China’s rapid growth: is it going to become the first country in the world?
- Global dangers that influence our planet’s ecology
- Significant changes in the American media since the 1970s
- What makes medicine an interesting subject to study?
- The main factors to consider while conducting qualitative research
There are so many resources out there that will help you choose a topic and write an outstanding paper. This video gives you a bunch of topics for research papers, which means you now have even more from which to choose!
There is no doubt that writing a research paper is a daunting task.
If you feel you need help, even if you have managed to choose a topic, you can always hire a custom writing service to help you produce a fabulous research paper of which you will be proud and will guarantee you a good mark.
Whether you choose to write it on your own or get some help, we wish you luck writing your paper!
🤔 Research Topics FAQ
There are literally thousands of topics to choose from. “Biomarkers and colors: what is the correlation?” is a great topic on psychology. Should businesses be regulated: pros and cons is an exciting business research topic. Finally, Art as a form of protest is an art research topic worth exploring.
The first option is to ask your professor. Then you can browse through scientific journals and take a look at your library catalog. The final option for those who search for a creative idea is to take notes everywhere. Write things down while traveling, watching TV, and reading.
The Big Bang theory, Dwarf galaxies, and Supernova Astronomy are just a few of numerous astronomy research topics. Genetically modified organisms, Neurobiology of sleep, and Rainforest conservation are exciting research biology research topics. Artificial intelligence, Computer modeling, and Voice recognition are trendy computer science topics.
There are numerous exciting topics in various education research areas. Some of them are: Ability grouping, Computer literacy, Early childhood education, Multiculturalism, Parental involvement, Sex education, Violence in schools, and Virtual classrooms.
You might also be interested in:
- 280 Good Nursing Research Topics & Questions
- 226 Research Topics on Criminal Justice & Criminology
- 204 Research Topics on Technology & Computer Science
- 178 Best Research Titles about Cookery & Food
- 497 Interesting History Topics to Research
- 180 Best Education Research Topics & Ideas
- 110+ Micro- & Macroeconomics Research Topics
- 417 Business Research Topics for ABM Students
- 190+ Research Topics on Psychology & Communication
- 512 Research Topics on HumSS
- 281 Best Health & Medical Research Topics
- 501 Research Questions & Titles about Science
- Good Research Topics, Titles and Ideas for Your Paper
- APA Sample Paper
- Painting Movements in the 20th Century Topic
- The Discovery Themes Initiative at The Ohio State University
- Quantitative Research in Education
- Quantitative Research Works, Indiana University
- Organizing Academic Research Papers: Choosing a Title
- Research Topics, The University of Arizona
- Research Topic Ideas, University of Michigan-Flint
- National Archives—Research by Topic
- Jet Propulsion Laboratory—Research Topics List
- Global Health Research Topics
- National Institute of Justice—Topics
- National Institute of Standards and Technology—Topics
- Research Topics at U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Office of Research & Development
- National Institutes of Health—A to Z Topics Index
- Evaluating Print Sources
- Working With Sources
- Developing a Thesis
- Psychiatry: Medscape
- Information Technology: NIST
- Topics: History.com
- Research Programs: National Center for Education Research
- Recent Computer and Education Articles: Elsevier
- Basic Guide to Cross-Cultural Research: Yale University
- Cultural Anthropology: Britannica
- Top Physical and Tech News: Science Daily
- Health Topics: National Institute of Mental Health
- PhDs in Business & Management: Five Hot Research Topics: Top Universities
- Research and Focus Areas in Business and Government: Victoria University of Wellington
- Modern Literature: University of Portsmouth
- Research Areas: Political Science: Florida University
- Sociology Research Areas: Cornell University
- Focus Areas: Nursing Research: Mayo Clinic
- Share to Facebook
- Share to Twitter
- Share to LinkedIn
- Share to email
I ‘m looking for research topic on digital marketing
Hello, Wishadi! Try our Topic Generator . Or our experts will help you with any task
I’m doing a mini research on qualitative research. I need some topics for qualitative research.Can you help me?
Hello, Nazish! Try our Topic Generator . Or our experts will help you with any task
I am looking for research topics on dispensary optician care
Hello, Nuhu! Try our Topic Generator . Or our experts will help you with any task
Im doing masters in computing and technology and im from electronics and communication i dont knos programming can u please suggest research topic based on this criteria.
Can you give me a title for a concept paper about civil engineering?
Hello! Try our Topic Generator . Or our experts can help you with any task
I am looking for research topic in english language or linguistics
Hello! You can try our Topic Generator . It can definitely help you!
please add some topics about Engineering and Technology
Interesting topics; please add more topics in management, organization, and some short research topics.
Thanks for the feedback, Gunjan 🙂
Recommended for You
178 Best Research Titles about Cookery & Food
If you think about it carefully, most of our lives are spinning around food. We talk about it all the time: planning what to eat next, recalling the delicious dishes we had before, and even watching culinary shows. The cookery and food industry is the largest one, among others. And...
224 Research Topics on Technology & Computer Science
Are you new to the world of technology? Do you need topics related to technology to write about? No worries, Custom-writing.org experts are here to help! In this article, we offer you a multitude of creative and interesting technology topics from various research areas, including information technology and computer science....
256 Research Topics on Criminal Justice & Criminology
Are you a law school student studying criminal behavior or forensic science? Or maybe just looking for good criminal justice topics, questions, and hypotheses? Look no further! Custom-writing.org experts offer a load of criminology research topics and titles for every occasion. Criminological theories, types of crime, the role of media...
150 Argumentative Research Paper Topics [2023 Upd.]
Argumentative research paper topics are a lot easier to find than to come up with. We always try to make your life easier. That’s why you should feel free to check out this list of the hottest and most controversial argumentative essay topics for 2023. In the article prepared by...
147 Social Studies Topics for Your Research Project
Social studies is an integrated research field. It includes a range of topics on social science and humanities, such as history, culture, geography, sociology, education, etc. A social studies essay might be assigned to any middle school, high school, or college student. It might seem like a daunting task, but...
Top 100 Research Topics & Titles about Food & TVL
When you look for a good research paper topic, you can easily become the severest critic of any proposed idea. Some topics do not interest you at the very least, while others might shock your teachers. Where is the golden mean? Check out this list of top 100 research paper...
200 Best Ideas for Research Paper Topics in 2023
The discussion you have started should be provoking and intriguing. If your statement is unique and interesting, you will definitely get a high grade and respect from your professors.
Writing a research paper may seem challenging, even though it is a substantial part of everyday student life. You are required to write at least one research paper in a semester for the majority of your subjects.
Do not underestimate research projects. They will demand a lot of time and effort from you. At the same time, do not let your research paper give you anxiety or hurt your overall studies.
To minimize worries and stress while working on the research paper, you must be confident in your topic. There are times when you are assigned the topic, but more frequently, you will have to create one yourself.
The discussion you start should be thought-provoking and intriguing. If your content is unique and interesting, you will definitely get a high grade and respect from your professors.
Submit instructions, choose a writer, and pay only if satisfied.
How to Select the Best Research Paper Topic?
When choosing your research paper topic, you need to make sure it is neither boring nor overdone. An interesting and innovative topic will intrigue your readers and motivate them to read the entire piece. But if you don’t know how to create a topic on your own, use the help of our editors.
Here are some things to consider when selecting an appropriate topic:
The Field Of Your Interest
It’s no secret that you will not be able to write a good insightful research paper if you are not interested in the subject overall, or in the topic in general. On the other hand, if the topic is linked to the field of your interest, you can consider yourself lucky.
Passion and interest in a topic will make it easier to explore the theme and write about it. If you enjoy science, you should be able to talk non-stop about it. The same goes for writing about it.
A Topic Should Be Clear
You need to be sure to understand everything clearly when you choose an essay topic . Do not hesitate to ask questions if there are some unclear points. The more you understand, the simpler it is for you to write a successful research paper. You need to show the readers that you’re a master of the topic and not a confused newbie who does not know what you’re talking about.
Be Precise And Specific
You need to completely understand that you are not writing a descriptive essay. A research paper is an accurate and thorough work, which is based on facts. You cannot waterdown your text. Your statement should be supported with examples or references to other reputable research and academic work.
How innovative can you be when discussing The French Revolution or Pearl Harbor? However, an innovative approach can give you the edge among other students. A topic should address the matter from a different and surprising perspective. With a deep investigation, you may even find the little known facts that can blow your readers’ minds. This approach will intrigue your readers and will make you research paper stand out..
Visit Edusson Samples to brainstorm possible research paper topics and find relevant paper examples. It is 1000+ papers database. Besides samples, you can find excellent writing tools such as Plagiarism Checker, Title Page Maker and many more.
Ideas for Research Paper Topics
Without a good topic, writing a research paper can be a student’s worst nightmare. So, how do you come up with one? There are dozens of ways to brainstorm, such as discussing with classmates, reading topic prompts, sample papers, magazines, journals, blogs, or books.
Research Paper Topic by Category
Here are some examples of topics you may choose:
Argumentative Research Paper Topics
You have to present facts to demonstrate a clear understanding of the topic. Your introduction and concluding paragraph must be equally strong. Take a look at the following argumentative research topics examples:
- Are athletes good role models?
- Is the minimum wage too high?
- Homelessness: Who is to blame?
- Do we need shorter working weeks?
- What is the ideal age of consuming alcohol?
Persuasive Research Paper Topics
As a speaker or writer, it is your responsibility to persuade the reader about an issue. Persuasive writing, therefore, should move people and shake their emotions. If, for example, you want to convince people coffee is good for their bodies, then you must do it artistically, and convincingly.
Take a look at these examples of persuasive research topics:
- Using animals to conduct research experiments is wrong.
- Parents should monitor the websites their children visit.
- Domestic gender violence is on the rise.
- Children’s exposure to media: Do parental controls work?
- There are many cybercrimes today, and they are going to increase.
- America should adopt a policy of non-involvement in global conflicts.
Controversial Topics for Research Paper
There are people who like to court controversy whenever they say or do something, more so in public. A good example here is an activist. Whether it is advocacy for gay rights or same-sex marriage, writing on issues like these can be painstakingly difficult. So, you need a strong topic right from the beginning. Controversial topics for a research paper like the following will most certainly get you moving in the right direction:
- Gay partners and child adoption.
- Surrogate mothers and societal worldview.
- Violence in media content.
- STEM subjects should be mandatory.
- Sex education in middle school.
- Should homework be abolished?
Are you having a hard time looking for a comprehensive research paper topic? Try to find the best one by using our topic generation tool.
Best Research Paper Topics 2023
Maybe you have picked a research topic from the above categories for your paper. However, a good college student knows you need a plan B. So here are some other great topics.
- Is college education in line with the job market?
- Should colleges be faith-based institutions?
- Should universities have special accommodation facilities for the disabled?
- How has the institution of marriage changed in the postmodern world?
- Is there a difference between a man’s and a woman’s heart?
- What are the possible health benefits of childbearing and parenting?
- Exploring unfair child labor in the workplace.
- The significance of ethics to business and how to control bad behavior.
- How is cross-border BPO affecting the gross domestic product in your country?
- Which companies will make it to the top 5 best in the next decade?
- Terrorism and how it affects businesses.
- Are universities becoming business-driven?
- Causes of data rape and how to prevent it.
- Should licensed gun holders be allowed to carry their weapons to school?
- Ex-convicts and job searching. Is it difficult finding employment?
- Should colleges pay student-athletes and how should they do it?
- What should be the basis of workplace promotion: seniority, degree, or performance evaluation?
- The significance of search engine optimization on businesses today.
- Should women be allowed into extreme sports?
- Is feminism changing American society?
Research Paper Topics By Level of Education
Notably, topic difficulty or complexity varies with the level of education. A graduate student will write a high school essay with great ease, while the reverse will result in a lot of difficulties on the part of the student.
In this post, we also help you choose topics based on your academic level while keeping in mind that research paper writing lends credence to student performance.
The research paper topics can often be overwhelming, and to make the process easier and more reliable, many students look for APA format paper writing services . The services are beneficial and provide access to professional knowledge in writing a research paper and ensure that all guidelines are followed.
High School Research Paper Topics
If you are a student in high school, here is a list of topics that you may consider:
- Should the government legalize the use of smartphones in high school classrooms?
- Leadership training in high school.
- Are secondary schools doing enough in harnessing the debating skills of students?
- Explore Plato’s philosophy of mathematics.
College Research Paper Topics
Next, here are some college research paper topics to choose from. They include the following:
- Explore the design and construction of thermal plants around the globe.
- Analyze how the free software movement is positively transforming the world.
- Analyze cognitive development in children.
- How does the government assess the health care needs of communities?
- Pre-election and the effects on voter conduct.
- Discuss how to plan for college tuition.
- How does menstruation affect young girls?
- Substance abuse among college students and its effects on their performance and behavior.
- What brings about societal stereotypes?
- Factual evidence that AIDS originated from monkeys.
Research Paper Topics By Subject
Another way of choosing the best research paper topic is based on the subject, whether you are a college or high school student. Whether it is in biology, physics, science, literature, history, or psychology, this approach works at all levels of education. Research papers are quite challenging for the average student to write, so it’s no wonder why many students may want to look into options for high school essays for money . A great topic for your research paper should be something engaging that captures the reader’s attention and encourages them to continue reading.
Research Paper Topics on Technology
- Cybersecurity: Can we really be safe?
- How can technology help in preventing terrorist attacks?
- How close did we get to Artificial Intelligence?
- What technological innovations promise to change the third decade of the 21st century?
- How do regular people influence technological progress?
- What technologies does NASA use to explore Mars?
- How did Bill Gates and Steve Jobs change the world?
- How did cloud technologies change data storing?
- Can virtual reality substitute for an actual reality?
- What is the future of the internet?
Research Paper Topics on Environment
- How did climate change in the last 30 years?
- Why some believe that global warming is a hoax?
- What are the best ways to reduce global warming?
- How does global warming alter wildlife?
- Ocean pollution: Unseen tragedies.
- Effective ways of reducing air pollution.
- How can alternative types of energy help to preserve the Earth’s natural resources?
- Endangered species – How can we preserve them?
- Recycling. What did you do to make the world a better place?
- Drinking water for all – How can we achieve it?
Research Paper Topics on Legal Issues
- How do torrenting sites influence creativity and copyright?
- Should marijuana be legalized at the national level?
- How did the legalization of same-sex marriage influence the USA?
- Are punishments for sex crimes fair?
- Should there be a law preventing cyber-bullying?
- Where is the line between artistic photos and pornography?
- How does a new adoption law in Russia refuse orphans their chance for happiness?
- Various laws on abortion around the world.
- How do prostitution laws differ around the world?
Topics on Business
- How can one turn a business idea into a successful startup?
- How can creative marketing increase your sales?
- Does taxation aim to kill small businesses?
- Effective time-management for big and small teams.
- Is multitasking a productive method of work?
- Sexual harassment in the working environment.
- How benefits can make your employees happy.
- How do big corporations regularly break the law and get away with it?
- What are the various minimum wages around the world? Should The Universal Declaration of Human Rights control them?
- What were the most successful businesses in the first two decades of the 21st century?
Topics on World Politics
- How did Angela Merkel change Europe?
- Impeachment against Donald Trump: Will it happen?
- The consequences of Brexit for European values.
- Is Vladimir Putin sponsoring global terrorism?
- How can world politicians unite against the threat that Russia poses?
- Can North and South Korea unite again?
- How can we eliminate dictatorial regimes in the 21st century?
- Conflicts in Africa.
- Do refugees pose any threat to the hosting country?
- How can the world unite to fight racism?
Topics on Religion
- Is Christianity at its dusk?
- Can any religion justify crimes against humanity?
- The most popular new age religions.
- Sexual abuse in the church.
- Should religious beliefs influence health matters?
- How do various religions oppress women?
- The political context of the global religions throughout time.
- How does agnosticism balance between atheism and various religions?
- Are we witnessing a new religion forming?
- Myths of creation through global religions.
Topics on Health
- The effects of alcohol, tobacco, and marijuana on a human body.
- Vaccination in the 21st century.
- The most controversial issues of birth control.
- Alzheimer’s: ways of prevention.
- Euthanasia – An assisted suicide?
- How can research help cure AIDS?
- Are there effective ways to prevent cancer?
- How do fats positively affect the human body and the mind?
- Anorexia and obesity – Two sides to one story.
- The importance of mental health.
Topics on Social Issues
- How does social media influence interpersonal communication?
- How can team sports affect social abilities?
- LGBT tolerance around the world.
- Global citizenship: Pros and cons.
- How to deal with social anxiety.
- How can one defend privacy issues on Facebook and other social media?
- How to stop bullying in schools.
- Discrimination of black women in modern-day America.
- Ethnicities that created the USA.
- Gender stereotypes in the workplace.
Topics on Education
- How to achieve literacy for all.
- Is it worth accumulating a huge debt to achieve higher education in the USA?
- How can the government make a teacher’s profession become more appealing?
- How can we modernize education to make it more appealing?
- How do dress codes in schools discriminate against women?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of homeschooling?
- Is the present educational system capable of creating geniuses?
- The importance of multilingual education.
- Guns in school. How to achieve a safe environment.
- Do grades do justice to students’ knowledge?
Topics on Popular Culture
- The best music projects of 2020.
- How do reality shows influence teenagers?
- Do celebrities form a specific cast in today’s world?
- How much do people depend on heroes? Marvel and DC Cinematic Universes.
- How do American and Japanese popular cultures intertwine with each other?
- Sexism and ageism in modern Hollywood.
- Do shows like American Idol, the Voice, and X-factor really aim to find and develop talents?
- The female role in the world according to Beyonce’s Lemonade.
- How did YouTube change popular culture?
- The meaning of the Harry Potter Book Series in promoting reading.
Still lost? Download a Comprehensive Research Paper Guide completely FREE. It consists of 7 simple steps that can lead you to a perfect paper. We based it on analysis of 1000+ student’s papers, ordered by Edusson customers Get it now
Interesting and Funny Research Paper Topics
Searching for research paper topics can be a daunting task, but with the right resources and a bit of creativity, you can find the perfect topic for your paper. One great way to get research paper ideas is to browse through online essays for sale and use the topics and arguments presented in them as the starting point for your own research. Alternatively, you can check out a comprehensive list of research paper topics to get some inspiration.
You may also want to base your research paper on something interesting or funny, which is not new. However, how you do it should set apart your skills and writing prowess from that of other students. Here is a list of funny research paper topics to choose from:
- What if sword-swallowers ate the swords’ knuсkles?
- Pop Art and Lady Gaga.
- Erasing bad memories and keeping good ones.
- Cocaine and its effects on bees.
- Explore the possibility of unicorns.
- Is country music causing suicidal tendencies?
- Sex, love, and robots.
- Self-defense using flatulence.
- Do woodpeckers ever suffer from headaches?
- Which breaks a human skull better: Full or empty beer bottles?
- Is alien abduction real? Has it ever taken place?
- Which is heavier: A pound of lead or feathers?
- Effects of water on breakfast cereal.
- Does wet underwear make people feel colder in winter?
- Chicken feathers: Can they help determine the speed of tornados?
- Is farting relieving?
- Do falling coconuts pose a threat to people nearby?
Do not be afraid to conduct thorough research. To write a good research paper you need to be confident in your argument. Make use of the suggested research paper topic ideas and you will be successful.
If you are still asking yourself “who can write my research paper ?” Edusson is the right place to be.
Easy Research Paper Topics
- Are birth control pills good or bad?
- Are married women with children happier than single women who did not give birth to a child?
- Are there health benefits to having children?
- Breast cancer rates are increasing among women in the US. What factors contribute to these rates?
- Do women with higher testosterone levels have an athletic advantage compared to women whose testosterone levels are not high?
- Has the feminist movement been a help to women or not?
- Has the modern-day feminist movement lost its track?
- How are cultural expectations of women different in Muslim vs. Western nations?
- How common is domestic abuse, or child abuse?
- How do the female hormones protect women from heart disease?
- How does the education of women change society?
- How has feminism changed America? The world?
- How has marriage changed?
- How is heart health different for men and women?
- How has society’s expectations for women to get married and have kids haven’t changed for centuries, even today?
- How to help girls from unprivileged towns and neighborhoods get educated?
- Should women participate in extreme sports?
- What are the most important health risks for women to be aware of?
- What is a maid? Is there an acceptable or unacceptable definition for this job?
- What is female genital mutilation and how is it connected with AIDS in Africa?
- What is the effect of birth control and pregnancy on the mental health of a woman?
- What is the history of marriage?
- Why do a vast majority of women refuse to report their husbands for domestic abuse? What can be done to help them?
- Why do people marry?
- Women in politics: why do a small percentage of them succeed?
- Are athletes overpaid? Do footballers deserve multi-million contracts? How their salaries influence their performance?
- Can anyone compete in a marathon? Should everyone try it at least once? Necessary measures to take in order to compete in this kind of race
- Choose a sport and the best athlete that has ever played it. Justify why is that person the greatest of all times
- Has Title 9 hurt men’s athletics? Should there be changes?
- Have Olympic Games improved or worsened through history?
- How money influences the football world today
- How much does the crowd at sports events influence the game? Does the roar of the fans or their chants really cause the team to win or lose?
- How successful has Title 9 been in changing access to sports for women?
- Is there a sport that should be added to the Olympic Games?
- Research the history of a sport of your choice. How has the game changed throughout history?
- Should college athletes get paid? If so, how should that be done?
- Should male and female athletes be paid equally?
- Should players form unions to protect their rights?
- The impact of the Olympic Games on the economy of the hosting nation?
- What do people learn from playing competitive sports?
- What does the public think about female athletes?
- Why do all children need to play competitive sports in school? How would regular sports activity benefit their health and school performance?
- Why do so many young people get injured while playing sports? Is it accidental and unavoidable or is there a way to prevent injuries? Choose between talking about sports in general or discussing some specific sport of your choice.
- African-American men are more likely to spend time in prison in the United States than any other group. What is the underlying cause of this negative trend? What can be done to stop it?
- After every terrorist attack, it turns out police received reports about the potential danger. Why do they always ignore these calls?
- Are prison sentences for rapes effective? Do convicted rapists recommit their crimes later?
- Criminal activities are widely prevalent in news shows, reality TV, television shows, and movies. Does the constant exposure to crime on TV promote these activities and give people ideas?
- The death sentence has a long history, but did it help decrease crime rates across the US?
- Do convicted criminals abandon their ways and turn into law-abiding citizens?
- Do organizations like Prison Fellowship, which attempt to reform prisoners through faith, produce long-term results in changed lives?
- Do some people have a genetic predisposition to commit a crime? If so, should government approve genetic testing on criminals?
- Does non-dangerous “hazing” add to the rituals and community of an organization? Describe pros and cons of having new members participate in initiation traditions.
- How can prisoners help rehabilitate prisoners?
- How difficult is it to ex-convicts to find a job?
- How does Trump’s victory at the presidential election affect the judicial system in the United States today?
- How should the background of the criminal (psychosis, intelligence, family environment, genetic predispositions) affect the decision in a criminal case?
- Is Mandatory Minimum sentencing a good idea? Does it aid crime prevention?
- Many prisoners re-commit crimes because they find it difficult to cope with “real world” after spending years in prison. What can be done to help them adapt to the new reality after leaving prison?
- The number of DUI arrests increases constantly. What can be done about this problem?
- On-campus violence: causes and solutions
- Online bullying is a common occurrence nowadays. Should cyber-bullies face criminal prosecution?
- Out of fear of potential mistake, prisoners on a death row in many states are still waiting for their executions. Does the possibility of wrong death outweigh the need for justice? Is there justice for family members of victims?
- Police brutality: causes and potential solutions
- Rates of teens engaging in criminal activities keep increasing. How did media contribute to this negative trend?
- Should all states have equal laws? Would it prevent some criminals from committing their unlawful deeds?
- Should DUI laws be the same across all states?
- Should girls and women who falsely accuse someone of raping them face criminal prosecution?
- Should people convicted of a DUI be able to attend classes to prevent having their driver’s license revoked?
- Should schools allow people with licenses to carry concealed weapons?
- Should some crimes require a mandatory death sentence?
- Should terrorist suspects be tried in American courts?
- Some states have already legalized marijuana. How did cannabis use affect crime rates in these states? Did they go up or down?
- Teen gangs and socioeconomic status of households: are they related?
- The Innocence Project has released more than 300 convicted criminals based primarily on DNA evidence. Many states give no compensation to those released. Should the compensation be mandatory?
- The use of art, music, or theater therapy is a common method of rehabilitating prisoners. How effective are these approaches?
- What are the causes of acquaintance rape? How can it be prevented?
- What does the general public think about death penalty?
- What is the underlying cause (or more of them) behind re-committing crimes?
- Why do some people become serial killers? Are there any signs in their behavior to look for?
- Why is police brutal when arresting black suspects?
- Are older children more successful?
- Child labor is a sad reality in third-world countries. Do we contribute to child labor by purchasing products from companies who employ children in their factories?
- Do small businesses have a chance to succeed in the competitive market today?
- How do blogs help revolutionize businesses?
- How did the NAFTA agreement affect business in the United States?
- How does birth order affect people in a work environment?
- How has terrorism affected businesses?
- How important is branding for a business?
- Importance of ethics in business: what are the consequences of unethical behavior?
- Past, present, and future of search engine optimization (SEO)?
- Should companies promote employees based on seniority, college degrees or evaluations of performance?
- Should employees be allowed more flexible leave time for caring for children and elderly parents?
- What is the best way to grow jobs and reduce the unemployment rate?
Psst. There’s also a more relaxed way ?
Improve your writing with our guides
Psychology Essay Topic: Theories Explaining Human growth and Development
Reflection Paper Topics: Art
Reaction Paper Writing: Travel Essay Topics
Get 15% off your first order with edusson.
Connect with a professional writer within minutes by placing your first order. No matter the subject, difficulty, academic level or document type, our writers have the skills to complete it.
100% privacy. No spam ever.
- Bipolar Disorder
- Race and Identity
- Stress Management
- Brain Health
- Online Therapy
- History and Biographies
- Student Resources
- Sleep and Dreaming
- Mental Strength
- Family & Relationships
- Anxiety & Depression
- Mental Health
- Verywell Mind Insights
- The Winter Issue
- Editorial Process
- Meet Our Review Board
- Crisis Support
Psychology Research Paper Topics: 50+ Great Ideas
Kendra Cherry, MS, is an author and educational consultant focused on helping students learn about psychology.
Steven Gans, MD is board-certified in psychiatry and is an active supervisor, teacher, and mentor at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Are you searching for a great topic for your psychology paper ? Sometimes it seems like coming up with a good idea for a paper is more challenging than the actual research and writing. Fortunately, there are plenty of great places to find inspiration and the following list contains just a few ideas to help get you started.
Finding a solid topic is one of the most important steps when writing any type of paper. It can be particularly important when you are writing a psychology research paper or essay. Psychology is such a broad topic, so you want to find a topic that allows you to adequately cover the subject without becoming overwhelmed with information.
In some cases, such as in a general psychology class, you might have had the option to select any topic from within psychology's broad reaches. Other instances, such as in an abnormal psychology course, might require you to write your paper on a specific subject such as a psychological disorder.
As you begin your search for a topic for your psychology paper, it is first important to consider the guidelines established by your instructor.
Focus on a Topic Within a Particular Branch of Psychology
The key to selecting a good topic for your psychology paper is to select something that is narrow enough to allow you to really focus on the subject, but not so narrow that it is difficult to find sources or information to write about.
One approach is to narrow your focus down to a subject within a specific branch of psychology. For example, you might start by deciding that you want to write a paper on some sort of social psychology topic. Next, you might narrow your focus down to how persuasion can be used to influence behavior.
Other social psychology topics you might consider include:
- Prejudice and discrimination (i.e., homophobia, sexism, racism)
- Social cognition
- Person perception
- Social control and cults
- Persuasion , propaganda, and marketing
- Attraction, romance, and love
- Nonverbal communication
- Prosocial behavior
Write About a Disorder or Type of Therapy
Exploring a psychological disorder or a specific treatment modality can also be a good topic for a psychology paper. Some potential abnormal psychology topics include specific psychological disorders or particular treatment modalities, including:
- Eating disorders
- Borderline personality disorder
- Seasonal affective disorder
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Profile a type of therapy (i.e., cognitive behavioral therapy, group therapy, psychoanalytic therapy)
Choose a Topic Related to Human Cognition
Some of the possible topics you might explore in this area include thinking, language, intelligence, and decision-making. Other ideas might include:
- False memories
- Speech disorders
Consider a Topic Related to Human Development
In this area, you might opt to focus on issues pertinent to early childhood such as language development, social learning, or childhood attachment or you might instead opt to concentrate on issues that affect older adults such as dementia or Alzheimer's disease.
Some other topics you might consider include:
- Language acquisition
- Media violence and children
- Learning disabilities
- Gender roles
- Child abuse
- Prenatal development
- Parenting styles
- Aspects of the aging process
Critique a Book or Academic Journal Article
One option is to consider writing a psychology critique paper of a published psychology book or academic journal article. For example, you might write a critical analysis of Sigmund Freud's Interpretation of Dreams or you might evaluate a more recent book such as Philip Zimbardo's The Lucifer Effect: Understanding How Good People Turn Evil .
Professional and academic journals are also a great place to find materials for a critique paper. Browse through the collection at your university library to find titles devoted to the subject that you are most interested in, then look through recent articles until you find what that grabs your attention.
Analyze a Famous Experiment
There have been many fascinating and groundbreaking experiments throughout the history of psychology, providing ample material for students looking for an interesting term paper topic. In your paper, you might choose to summarize the experiment, analyze the ethics of the research, or evaluate the implications of the study. Possible experiments that you might consider include:
- The Milgram Obedience Experiment
- The Stanford Prison Experiment
- The Little Albert Experiment
- Pavlov's Conditioning Experiments
- The Asch Conformity Experiment
- Harlow's Rhesus Monkey Experiments
Write a Paper About a Historical Figure
One of the simplest ways to find a great topic is to choose an interesting person in the history of psychology and write a paper about them. Your paper might focus on many different elements of the individual's life, such as their biography, professional history, theories, or influence on psychology.
While this type of paper may be historical in nature, there is no need for this assignment to be dry or boring. Psychology is full of fascinating figures rife with intriguing stories and anecdotes. Consider such famous individuals as Sigmund Freud, B.F. Skinner, Harry Harlow, or one of the many other eminent psychologists .
Write About a Specific Psychology Career
Another possible topic, depending on the course in which you are enrolled, is to write about specific career paths within the field of psychology . This type of paper is especially appropriate if you are exploring different subtopics or considering which area interests you the most.
In your paper, you might opt to explore the typical duties of a psychologist, how much people working in these fields typically earn, and different employment options that are available.
Create a Case Study of an Individual or Group of People
One potentially interesting idea is to write a psychology case study of a particular individual or group of people. In this type of paper, you will provide an in depth analysis of your subject, including a thorough biography.
Generally, you will also assess the person, often using a major psychological theory such as Piaget's stages of cognitive development or Erikson's eight-stage theory of human development . It is also important to note that your paper doesn't necessarily have to be about someone you know personally.
In fact, many professors encourage students to write case studies on historical figures or fictional characters from books, television programs, or films.
Conduct a Literature Review
Another possibility that would work well for a number of psychology courses is to do a literature review of a specific topic within psychology. A literature review involves finding a variety of sources on a particular subject, then summarizing and reporting on what these sources have to say about the topic.
Literature reviews are generally found in the introduction of journal articles and other psychology papers , but this type of analysis also works well for a full-scale psychology term paper.
Design a Study or Perform an Experiment
Many psychology courses require students to design an actual psychological study or perform some type of experiment. In some cases, students simply devise the study and then imagine the possible results that might occur. In other situations, you may actually have the opportunity to collect data, analyze your findings, and write up your results.
Finding a topic for your study can be difficult, but there are plenty of great ways to come up with intriguing ideas. Start by considering your own interests as well subjects you have studied in the past.
Online sources, newspaper articles, books , journal articles, and even your own class textbook are all great places to start searching for topics for your experiments and psychology term papers. Before you begin, learn more about how to conduct a psychology experiment .
A Word From Verywell
After looking at this brief list of possible topics for psychology papers, it is easy to see that psychology is a very broad and diverse subject. While this variety makes it possible to find a topic that really catches your interest, it can sometimes make it very difficult for some students to select a good topic.
If you are still stumped by your assignment, ask your instructor for suggestions and consider a few from this list for inspiration.
- Hockenbury, SE & Nolan, SA. Psychology. New York: Worth Publishers; 2014.
- Santrock, JW. A Topical Approach to Lifespan Development. New York: McGraw-Hill Education; 2016.
By Kendra Cherry Kendra Cherry, MS, is an author and educational consultant focused on helping students learn about psychology.
By clicking “Accept All Cookies”, you agree to the storing of cookies on your device to enhance site navigation, analyze site usage, and assist in our marketing efforts.
- Chess (Gr. 1-4)
- TV (Gr. 1-4)
- Metal Detectors (Gr. 2-6)
- Tetris (Gr. 2-6)
- Seat Belts (Gr. 2-6)
- The Coliseum (Gr. 2-6)
- The Pony Express (Gr. 2-6)
- Wintertime (Gr. 2-6)
- Reading (Gr. 3-7)
- Black Friday (Gr. 3-7)
- Hummingbirds (Gr. 3-7)
- Worst Game Ever? (Gr. 4-8)
- Carnivorous Plants (Gr. 4-8)
- Google (Gr. 4-8)
- Honey Badgers (Gr. 4-8)
- Hyperinflation (Gr. 4-8)
- Koko (Gr. 4-8)
- Mongooses (Gr. 5-9)
- Trampolines (Gr. 5-9)
- Garbage (Gr. 5-9)
- Maginot Line (Gr. 5-9)
- Asian Carp (Gr. 5-9)
- Tale of Two Countries (Gr. 6-10)
- Kevlar (Gr. 7-10)
- Tigers (Gr. 7-11)
- Statue of Liberty (Gr. 8-10)
- Submarines (Gr. 8-12)
- Castles (Gr. 9-13)
- Gutenberg (Gr. 9-13)
- Author's Purpose Practice 1
- Author's Purpose Practice 2
- Author's Purpose Practice 3
- Fact and Opinion Practice 1
- Fact and Opinion Practice 2
- Fact and Opinion Practice 3
- Idioms Practice Test 1
- Idioms Practice Test 2
- Figurative Language Practice 1
- Figurative Language Practice 2
- Figurative Language Practice 3
- Figurative Language Practice 4
- Figurative Language Practice 5
- Figurative Language Practice 6
- Figurative Language Practice 7
- Figurative Language Practice 8
- Figurative Language Practice 9
- Figurative Language of Edgar Allan Poe
- Figurative Language of O. Henry
- Figurative Language of Shakespeare
- Genre Practice 1
- Genre Practice 2
- Genre Practice 3
- Genre Practice 4
- Genre Practice 5
- Genre Practice 6
- Genre Practice 7
- Genre Practice 8
- Genre Practice 9
- Genre Practice 10
- Irony Practice 1
- Irony Practice 2
- Irony Practice 3
- Making Inferences Practice 1
- Making Inferences Practice 2
- Making Inferences Practice 3
- Making Inferences Practice 4
- Making Inferences Practice 5
- Main Idea Practice 1
- Main Idea Practice 2
- Point of View Practice 1
- Point of View Practice 2
- Text Structure Practice 1
- Text Structure Practice 2
- Text Structure Practice 3
- Text Structure Practice 4
- Text Structure Practice 5
- Story Structure Practice 1
- Story Structure Practice 2
- Story Structure Practice 3
- Author's Purpose
- Context Clues
- Fact and Opinion
- Figurative Language
- Grammar and Language Arts
- Poetic Devices
- Point of View
- Reading Comprehension
- Story Structure
- Text Structure
- Character Traits
- Common Core Aligned Unit Plans
- Teacher Point of View
- Teaching Theme
- Patterns of Organization
- Project Ideas
- Reading Activities
- How to Write Narrative Essays
- How to Write Persuasive Essays
- Narrative Essay Assignments
- Narrative Essay Topics
- Persuasive Essay Topics
- Research Paper Topics
- Rubrics for Writing Assignments
- Learn About Sentence Structure
- Grammar Worksheets
- Noun Worksheets
- Parts of Speech Worksheets
- Punctuation Worksheets
- Sentence Structure Worksheets
- Verbs and Gerunds
- Examples of Allitertion
- Examples of Hyperbole
- Examples of Onomatopoeia
- Examples of Metaphor
- Examples of Personification
- Examples of Simile
- Figurative Language Activities
- Figurative Language Examples
- Figurative Language Poems
- Figurative Language Worksheets
- Learn About Figurative Language
- Learn About Poetic Devices
- Idiom Worksheets
- Online Figurative Language Tests
- Onomatopoeia Worksheets
- Personification Worksheets
- Poetic Devices Activities
- Poetic Devices Worksheets
- About This Site
- Understanding CCSS Standards
- What's New?
Free reading worksheets, activities, and lesson plans., site navigation.
- Learn About Author’s Purpose
- Author’s Purpose Quizzes
- Character Types Worksheets and Lessons
- List of Character Traits
- Differentiated Reading Instruction Worksheets and Activities
- Fact and Opinion Worksheets
- Irony Worksheets
- Animal Farm Worksheets
- Literary Conflicts Lesson and Review
- New Home Page Test
- Lord of the Flies Chapter 2 Worksheet
- Lord of the Flies Chapter 5 Worksheet
- Lord of the Flies Chapter 6 Worksheet
- Lord of the Flies Chapter 10 Worksheet
- Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass
- Sister Carrie
- The Count of Monte Cristo
- The Odyssey
- The War of the Worlds
- The Wizard of Oz
- Mood Worksheets
- Context Clues Worksheets
- Inferences Worksheets
- Main Idea Worksheets
- Making Predictions Worksheets
- Nonfiction Passages and Functional Texts
- Setting Worksheets
- Summarizing Worksheets and Activities
- Short Stories with Questions
- Story Structure Activities
- Story Structure Worksheets
- Tone Worksheets
- Types of Conflict Worksheets
- Reading Games
- Figurative Language Poems with Questions
- Hyperbole and Understatement Worksheets
- Simile and Metaphor Worksheets
- Simile Worksheets
- Hyperbole Examples
- Metaphor Examples
- Personification Examples
- Simile Examples
- Understatement Examples
- Idiom Worksheets and Tests
- Poetic Devices Worksheets & Activities
- Alliteration Examples
- Allusion Examples
- Onomatopoeia Examples
- Onomatopoeia Worksheets and Activities
- Genre Worksheets
- Genre Activities
- Capitalization Worksheets, Lessons, and Tests
- Contractions Worksheets and Activities
- Double Negative Worksheets
- Homophones & Word Choice Worksheets
- ‘Was’ or ‘Were’
- Simple Subjects & Predicates Worksheets
- Subjects, Predicates, and Objects
- Clauses and Phrases
- Type of Sentences Worksheets
- Sentence Structure Activities
- Comma Worksheets and Activities
- Semicolon Worksheets
- End Mark Worksheets
- Noun Worksheets, Lessons, and Tests
- Verb Worksheets and Activities
- Pronoun Worksheets, Lessons, and Tests
- Adverbs & Adjectives Worksheets, Lessons, & Tests
- Preposition Worksheets and Activities
- Conjunctions Worksheets and Activities
- Interjections Worksheets
- Parts of Speech Activities
- Verb Tense Activities
- Past Tense Worksheets
- Present Tense Worksheets
- Future Tense Worksheets
- Point of View Activities
- Point of View Worksheets
- Teaching Point of View
- Cause and Effect Example Paragraphs
- Chronological Order
- Compare and Contrast
- Order of Importance
- Problem and Solution
- Text Structure Worksheets
- Text Structure Activities
- Essay Writing Rubrics
- Narrative Essay Topics and Story Ideas
- Narrative Essay Worksheets & Writing Assignments
- Persuasive Essay and Speech Topics
- Persuasive Essay Worksheets & Activities
- Writing Narrative Essays and Short Stories
- Writing Persuasive Essays
- All Reading Worksheets
- Understanding Common Core State Standards
- Remote Learning Resources for Covid-19 School Closures
- What’s New?
- Ereading Worksheets | Legacy Versions
- Online Figurative Language Practice
- Online Genre Practice Tests
- Online Point of View Practice Tests
- 62 School Project Ideas
- 2nd Grade Reading Worksheets
- 3rd Grade Reading Worksheets
- 4th Grade Reading Worksheets
- 5th Grade Reading Worksheets
- 6th Grade Reading Worksheets
- 7th Grade Reading Worksheets
- 8th Grade Reading Worksheets
- 9th Grade Reading Worksheets
- 10th Grade Reading Worksheets
101 research paper topics.
- Why do we sleep ?
- How do GPS systems work?
- Who was the first person to reach the North Pole ?
- Did anybody ever escape Alcatraz ?
- What was life like for a gladiator ?
- What are the effects of prolonged steroid use on the human body?
- What happened during the Salem witch trials ?
- Are there any effective means of repelling insects ?
- How did trains and railroads change life in America?
- What may have occurred during the Roswell UFO incident of 1947?
- How is bulletproof clothing made?
- What Olympic events were practiced in ancient Greece?
- What are the major theories explaining the disappearance of the dinosaurs ?
- How was the skateboard invented and how has it changed over the years?
- How did the long bow contribute to English military dominance?
- What caused the stock market crash of 2008?
- How did Cleopatra come to power in Egypt what did she do during her reign?
- How has airport security intensified since September 11 th , 2001?
- What is life like inside of a beehive ?
- Where did hip hop originate and who were its founders?
- What makes the platypus a unique and interesting mammal?
- How does tobacco use affect the human body?
- How do computer viruses spread and in what ways do they affect computers?
- What is daily life like for a Buddhist monk ?
- What are the origins of the conflict in Darfur ?
- How did gunpowder change warfare?
- In what ways do Wal-Mart stores affect local economies?
- How were cats and dogs domesticated and for what purposes?
- What do historians know about ninjas ?
- How has the music industry been affected by the internet and digital downloading?
- What were the circumstances surrounding the death of Osama Bin Laden ?
- What was the women’s suffrage movement and how did it change America?
- What efforts are being taken to protect endangered wildlife ?
- How much does the war on drugs cost Americans each year?
- How is text messaging affecting teen literacy?
- Are humans still evolving ?
- What technologies are available to home owners to help them conserve energy ?
- How have oil spills affected the planet and what steps are being taken to prevent them?
- What was the Magna Carta and how did it change England?
- What is the curse of the pharaohs?
- Why was Socrates executed?
- What nonlethal weapons are used by police to subdue rioters?
- How does the prison population in America compare to other nations?
- How did ancient sailors navigate the globe?
- Can gamblers ever acquire a statistical advantage over the house in casino games?
- What is alchemy and how has it been attempted?
- How are black holes formed?
- How was the assassination of Abraham Lincoln plotted and executed?
- Do the benefits of vaccination outweigh the risks?
- How do submarines work?
- Do lie detector tests accurately determine truthful statements?
- How did Cold War tension affect the US and the world?
- What happened to the lost settlers at Roanoke ?
- How does a hybrid car save energy?
- What ingredients can be found inside of a hotdog ?
- How did Julius Caesar affect Rome?
- What are some common sleep disorders and how are they treated?
- How did the Freedom Riders change society?
- How is internet censorship used in China and around the world?
- What was the code of the Bushido and how did it affect samurai warriors ?
- What are the risks of artificial tanning or prolonged exposure to the sun?
- What programs are available to help war veterans get back into society?
- What steps are involved in creating a movie or television show?
- How have the film and music industries dealt with piracy ?
- How did Joan of Arc change history?
- What responsibilities do secret service agents have?
- How does a shark hunt?
- What dangers and hardships did Lewis and Clark face when exploring the Midwest?
- Has the Patriot Act prevented or stopped terrorist acts in America?
- Do states that allow citizens to carry guns have higher or lower crime rates?
- How are the Great Depression and the Great Recession similar and different?
- What are the dangers of scuba diving and underwater exploration?
- How does the human brain store and retrieve memories ?
- What was the Manhattan Project and what impact did it have on the world?
- How does stealth technology shield aircraft from radar?
- What causes tornadoes ?
- Why did Martin Luther protest against the Catholic Church?
- How does a search engine work?
- What are the current capabilities and future goals of genetic engineers ?
- How did the Roman Empire fall?
- What obstacles faced scientists in breaking the sound barrier ?
- How did the black plague affect Europe?
- What happened to Amelia Earhart ?
- What are the dangers and hazards of using nuclear power ?
- How did Genghis Khan conquer Persia?
- What architectural marvels were found in Tenochtitlan, capital of the Aztec Empire ?
- From where does spam email come and can we stop it?
- How does night vision work?
- How did journalists influence US war efforts in Vietnam ?
- What are the benefits and hazards of medical marijuana ?
- What causes desert mirages and how do they affect wanderers?
- What was the cultural significance of the first moon landing ?
- What are sinkholes and how are they formed?
- Have any psychics ever solved crimes or prevented them from occurring?
- Who is Vlad the Impaler and what is his connection to Count Dracula ?
- What are the risks of climate change and global warming ?
- What treatments are available to people infected with HIV and are they effective?
- Who was a greater inventor, Leonardo di Vinci or Thomas Edison ?
- How are the Chinese and American economies similar and different?
- Why was communism unsuccessful in so many countries?
- In what ways do video games affect children and teenagers?
Mackenah nicole molina.
Wow! I always have trouble deiciding what to do a research project on but this list has totally solved that. Now my only problem is choosing what idea on this list I should do first!
Most of these my teacher rejected because apparently ‘these aren’t grade level topics, and I doubt they interest you”
I’m sorry to hear that. Sounds like you will have a potentially valuable character-building experience in the short-term.
Edwin Augusto Galindo Cuba
THIS SITE IS AWESOME, THERE ARE LOTS OF TOPICS TO LEARN AND MASTER OUR SKILLS!
I need one about animals, please. I have been challenged to a animal research project, Due Friday. I have no clue what to research! somebody help, thanks for reading!
You can do one on bats
For international studies you can do Defense and Security.
This was very helpful.
Research on Ben Franklin? I think THAT will get a real charge out of everyone (hehehehegetit)
“Is it possible to colonize Mars?”
these are silly topics
thx for making this real.
more gaming questions!!!!!!
Is it still considered stealing if you don’t get caught?
Yes, yes it is still considered stealing.
I need topics on memes
Please I need project topics on Language Literature
I would appreciate a list of survey questions for middle school grades 6-8
I need a research topics about public sector management
I NEED FIVE EXAMPLES EACH ON QUALITATIVE AND QUANTITATIVE RESEARCH (EDUCATION, HEALTH, TECHNOLOGY, ECONOMY AND ENGINEERING)
publish research that are interesting please……
hey can you do one on the burmiueda triangle
Anybody know video games effect kids,and,teens. There Fun!!
I need a topic about woman history if any of u can find 1 please that would be great!
You could research about the history of the astronauts, and of human past (WWI, WWII, etc.)
so about women? Manitoba Women Win the Right to Vote in Municipal Elections, The First Women, January 23, 1849: Elizabeth Blackwell becomes the first woman to graduate from medical school and become a doctor in the United States, Rosa Parks Civil Rights Equal Pay. I have way more. so if you need more just ask.
communism is good
what are you a communist?!?!
Did FDR know about the upcoming attack on Pearl Harbor on 07 DEC 1941.
do you know how babies are born
kindly assist with a research topic in the field of accounting or auditing
need more about US army
Please can yiu give me a topic in education
I think one should be how can music/Video games can affect the life for people
or How Do Video Games Affect Teenagers?
I think a good topic is supporting the confederate flag!
Need a research topic within the context of students union government and dues payments
do more weird ones plz
Hi pls po can you give me a topic relate for humanities pls thank u.
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
- Author's Purpose Worksheets
- Characterization Worksheets
- Common Core Lesson and Unit Plans
- Online Reading Practice Tests
- Plot Worksheets
- Reading Comprehension Worksheets
- Summary Worksheets
- Theme Worksheets
New and Updated Pages
- Capitalization Worksheets
- Contractions Worksheets
- Double Negatives Worksheets
- Homophones & Word Choice Worksheets
Research Topic Ideas
Getting started, 1. brainstorming for a topic, 2. read general background information, 3. focus your topic, more research help.
- Area & Interdisciplinary Studies
- Behavioral & Social Sciences
- Business, Economics, & Management
- Current Events and Controversial Issues
- Education & Social Work
- Health Sciences
- Natural and Physical Sciences
This guide provides you with a list of topic ideas (by subject or academic discipline) which could be developed into a research paper or project. It is not an all-inclusive list, but a list developed over time with input from faculty and students.
It is intended to offer suggestions only.
This is NOT a guide to help you research a topic. It is only intended to provide ideas for a paper.
The ability to develop a good research topic is an important skill. An instructor may assign you a specific topic, but most often instructors require you to select your own topic of interest. When deciding on a topic, there are a few things that you will need to do:
- Brainstorm for ideas.
- Choose a topic that will enable you to read and understand the articles and books you find.
- Ensure that the topic is manageable and that material is available.
- Make a list of key words.
- Be flexible. You may have to broaden or narrow your topic to fit your assignment or the sources you find.
Selecting a good topic may not be easy. It must be narrow and focused enough to be interesting, yet broad enough to find adequate information. Before selecting your final topic, make sure you know what your final project should look like. Each class or instructor will likely require a different format or style of research project.
Choose a topic that interests you. Use the following questions to help generate topic ideas.
- Do you have a strong opinion on a current social or political controversy?
- Did you read or see a news story recently that has piqued your interest or made you angry or anxious?
- Do you have a personal issue, problem, or interest that you would like to know more about?
- Is there an aspect of a class that you are interested in learning more about?
Write down any key words or concepts that may be of interest to you. These terms can be helpful in your searching and used to form a more focused research topic.
Be aware of overused ideas when deciding a topic. You may wish to avoid topics such as abortion, gun control, teen pregnancy, or suicide unless you feel you have a unique approach to the topic. Ask the instructor for ideas if you feel you are stuck or need additional guidance.
Sometimes using a Concept Map can help you come up with directions to take your research.
- Topic Concept Map Download and print this PDF to create a concept map for your topic. Put your main topic in the middle circle and then put ideas related to your topic on the lines radiating from the circle.
Read a general encyclopedia article on the top two or three topics you are considering.
Reading a broad summary enables you to get an overview of the topic and see how your idea relates to broader, narrower, and related issues. It also provides a great source for finding words commonly used to describe the topic. These keywords may be very useful to your later research.
If you can't find an article on your topic, try using broader terms and ask for help from a librarian.
The databases listed below are good places to find general information. The library's print reference collection can also be useful and is located on the third floor of the library.
Keep it manageable and be flexible. If you start doing more research and not finding enough sources that support your thesis, you may need to adjust your topic.
A topic will be very difficult to research if it is too broad or narrow. One way to narrow a broad topic such as "the environment" is to limit your topic. Some common ways to limit a topic are:
- by geographic area
Example: What environmental issues are most important in the Southwestern United States?
- by time frame:
Example: What are the most prominent environmental issues of the last 10 years?
- by discipline
Example: How does environmental awareness effect business practices today?
- by population group
Example: What are the effects of air pollution on senior citizens?
Remember that a topic may be too difficult to research if it is too:
- locally confined - Topics this specific may only be covered in local newspapers and not in scholarly articles.
Example: What sources of pollution affect the Genesee County water supply?
- recent - If a topic is quite recent, books or journal articles may not be available, but newspaper or magazine articles may. Also, websites related to the topic may or may not be available.
- broadly interdisciplinary - You could be overwhelmed with superficial information.
Example: How can the environment contribute to the culture, politics and society of the Western United States?
- popular - You will only find very popular articles about some topics such as sports figures and high-profile celebrities and musicians.
Putting your topic in the form of a question will help you focus on what type of information you want to collect.
If you have any difficulties or questions with focusing your topic, discuss the topic with your instructor, or with a librarian.
For more help with the research help, please see our Research Help Guides:
- Research Process by Liz Svoboda Last Updated Mar 4, 2023 5958 views this year
- Primary Sources for Historical Research by Callum Carr Last Updated Feb 23, 2023 73 views this year
- Understanding Journals: Peer-Reviewed, Scholarly, & Popular by Liz Svoboda Last Updated Mar 4, 2023 792 views this year
- Identifying Information Sources by Emily Newberry Last Updated Nov 18, 2022 1625 views this year
- Next: Area & Interdisciplinary Studies >>
- Last Updated: Mar 3, 2023 3:25 PM
- URL: https://libguides.umflint.edu/topics
- EXPLORE Coupons Tech Help Pro Random Article About Us Quizzes Contribute Train Your Brain Game Improve Your English Popular Categories Arts and Entertainment Artwork Books Movies Computers and Electronics Computers Phone Skills Technology Hacks Health Men's Health Mental Health Women's Health Relationships Dating Love Relationship Issues Hobbies and Crafts Crafts Drawing Games Education & Communication Communication Skills Personal Development Studying Personal Care and Style Fashion Hair Care Personal Hygiene Youth Personal Care School Stuff Dating All Categories Arts and Entertainment Finance and Business Home and Garden Relationship Quizzes Cars & Other Vehicles Food and Entertaining Personal Care and Style Sports and Fitness Computers and Electronics Health Pets and Animals Travel Education & Communication Hobbies and Crafts Philosophy and Religion Work World Family Life Holidays and Traditions Relationships Youth
- HELP US Support wikiHow Community Dashboard Write an Article Request a New Article More Ideas...
- EDIT Edit this Article
- PRO Courses New Tech Help Pro New Expert Videos About wikiHow Pro Coupons Quizzes Upgrade Sign In
- Browse Articles
- Quizzes New
- Train Your Brain New
- Improve Your English New
- Support wikiHow
- About wikiHow
- Easy Ways to Help
- Approve Questions
- Fix Spelling
- More Things to Try...
- H&M Coupons
- Hotwire Promo Codes
- StubHub Discount Codes
- Ashley Furniture Coupons
- Blue Nile Promo Codes
- NordVPN Coupons
- Samsung Promo Codes
- Chewy Promo Codes
- Ulta Coupons
- Vistaprint Promo Codes
- Shutterfly Promo Codes
- DoorDash Promo Codes
- Office Depot Coupons
- adidas Promo Codes
- Home Depot Coupons
- DSW Coupons
- Bed Bath and Beyond Coupons
- Lowe's Coupons
- Surfshark Coupons
- Nordstrom Coupons
- Walmart Promo Codes
- Dick's Sporting Goods Coupons
- Fanatics Coupons
- Edible Arrangements Coupons
- eBay Coupons
- Log in / Sign up
- Education and Communications
- College University and Postgraduate
- Academic Writing
- Research Papers
How to Find a Topic for Your Research Paper
Last Updated: January 24, 2023 References
This article was co-authored by Matthew Snipp, PhD and by wikiHow staff writer, Jennifer Mueller, JD . C. Matthew Snipp is the Burnet C. and Mildred Finley Wohlford Professor of Humanities and Sciences in the Department of Sociology at Stanford University. He is also the Director for the Institute for Research in the Social Science’s Secure Data Center. He has been a Research Fellow at the U.S. Bureau of the Census and a Fellow at the Center for Advanced Study in the Behavioral Sciences. He has published 3 books and over 70 articles and book chapters on demography, economic development, poverty and unemployment. He is also currently serving on the National Institute of Child Health and Development’s Population Science Subcommittee. He holds a Ph.D. in Sociology from the University of Wisconsin—Madison. There are 7 references cited in this article, which can be found at the bottom of the page. This article has been viewed 70,716 times.
Sometimes, finding a topic for a research paper can be the most challenging part of the whole process. When you're looking out at a field brimming with possibilities, it's easy to get overwhelmed. Lucky for you, we here at wikiHow have come up with a list of ways to pick that topic that will take you from the more vague brainstorming all the way to your specific, perfectly focused research question and thesis.
Review your course materials.
- If your textbook has discussion questions at the end of each chapter, these can be great to comb through for potential research paper topic ideas.
- Look at any recommended reading your instructor has suggested—you might find ideas there as well.
Search hot issues in your field of study.
- Think about current events that touch on your field of study as well. For example, if you're writing a research paper for a sociology class, you might want to write something related to race in America or the Black Lives Matter movement.
- Other instructors in the same department or field might also have ideas for you. Don't be afraid to stop in during their office hours and talk or send them an email, even if you've never had them for a class.
Go for a walk to get your brain going.
- If you want to walk with a friend and discuss topic ideas as you walk, that can help too. Sometimes, you'll come up with new things when you can bounce your ideas off someone else.
Ask your family or friends for input.
- People who aren't really familiar with the general subject you're researching can be helpful too! Because they aren't making many assumptions, they might bring up something you'd overlooked or not thought about before.
Free-write on topic ideas to find your passion.
- Having a personal interest in the topic will keep you from getting bored. You'll do better research—and write a better paper—if you're excited about the topic itself.
Read background information on your favorites.
- Ideally, based on your background research, you'll be able to choose one of the topics that interests you the most. If you still can't narrow it down, keep reading!
- Even though you wouldn't want to use them as sources for your actual paper, sources like Wikipedia can be excellent for getting background information about a topic.
Identify important words to use as keywords.
- For example, if you've chosen environmental regulations as a topic, you might also include keywords such as "conservation," "pollution," and "nature."
Do preliminary research using your keywords.
- Your results might also suggest other keywords you can search to find more sources. Searching for specific terminology used in articles you find often leads to other articles.
- Check the bibliography of any papers you find to pick up some other sources you might be able to use.
Limit a broad topic.
- For example, suppose you decided to look at race relations in the US during the Trump administration. If you got too many results, you might narrow your results to a single US city or state.
- Keep in mind how long your research paper will ultimately be. For example, if there's an entire book written on a topic you want to write a 20-page research paper on, it's probably too broad.
Expand a topic that's too narrow.
- For example, suppose you wanted to research the impact of a particular environmental law on your hometown, but when you did a search, you didn't get any quality results. You might expand your search to encompass the entire state or region, rather than just your hometown.
Do more in-depth research to fine-tune your topic.
- For example, you might do an initial search and get hundreds of results back and decide your topic is too broad. Then, when you limit it, you get next to nothing and figure out you've narrowed it too much, so you have to broaden it a little bit again.
- Stay flexible and keep going until you've found that happy medium that you think will work for your paper.
Formulate the question you'll answer in your paper.
- For example, your research question might be something like "How did environmental regulations affect the living conditions of people living near paper mills?" This question covers "who" (people living near paper mills), "what" (living conditions), "where" (near paper mills), and "why" (environmental regulations).
Build a list of potential sources.
- At this point, your list is still a "working" list. You won't necessarily use all the sources you find in your actual paper.
- Building a working list of sources is also helpful if you want to use a source and can't immediately get access to it. If you have to get it through your professor or request it from another library, you have time to do so.
Develop your thesis.
- For example, suppose your research question is "How did environmental regulations affect the living conditions of people living near paper mills?" Your thesis might be something like: "Environmental regulations improved living conditions for people living around paper mills."
- As another example, suppose your research question is "Why did hate crimes spike in the US from 2017 to 2020?" Your thesis might be: "A permissive attitude towards racial supremacy caused a spike in hate crimes in the US from 2017 to 2020."
- Keep in mind, you don't have to prove that your thesis is correct. Proving that your thesis was wrong can make for an even more compelling research paper, especially if your thesis follows conventional wisdom.
- If you've been given a list of topics but you come up with something different that you want to do, don't be afraid to talk to your instructor about it! The worst that will happen is that they'll make you choose something from the list instead.  X Trustworthy Source Purdue Online Writing Lab Trusted resource for writing and citation guidelines Go to source ⧼thumbs_response⧽ Helpful 0 Not Helpful 0
You Might Also Like
- ↑ https://library.sacredheart.edu/c.php?g=29803&p=185905
- ↑ https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/08/how-steve-jobs-odd-habit-can-help-you-brainstorm-ideas.html
- ↑ http://library.uncfsu.edu/reference/intro-to-library-research/develop-a-research-topic
- ↑ https://ncu.libguides.com/researchprocess/researchtopic
- ↑ https://emory.libanswers.com/faq/44525
- ↑ https://emory.libanswers.com/faq/44524
- ↑ https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/general_writing/common_writing_assignments/research_papers/choosing_a_topic.html
About This Article
- Send fan mail to authors
Reader Success Stories
Oct 17, 2020
Did this article help you?
- Do Not Sell or Share My Info
- Not Selling Info
Don’t miss out! Sign up for
- Student Support Services
- Subject Guides
- Define Your Topic
- Plan Your Search
- Evaluate Web Resources
- Create an Outline
- Write Your Paper
- Cite Sources
- Avoid Plagiarism
- Research Help
STEP 1: Define Your Topic
1. Pick a Subject
- Make sure you understand what you are being asked to do. If you have any questions, ask your professor to clarify.
- Choose a subject that you are interested in. The more you like your subject, the easier it will be to research.
- Do some background reading to understand more about the topic. You can use Wikipedia but do not use it as a source in your final paper, as it is editable by the public.
- Try a test search of the library’s resources to see what kind of results you get. If the topic is too general, you may need to narrow it down; if it is too specific, you may need to expand your search.
Example: Picking a Subject
Write a research report on a topic of your choice
My subject ideas:
- I am interested in environmental issues.
- I have read about global warming, but what are the causes?
- I wonder, what are some possible solutions?
- Why is it such a complicated problem and what are some of the issues that are debated by scientists?
- Is technology the solution to global warming? Or are changes in our behaviour the solution?
My broad topic for the assignment is ‘Global Warming’.
My research to narrow my topic:
- I got a good overview of the topic.
- I discovered areas of the topic that interest me and that I might want to focus on, such as the causes of global warming and the possible responses to it.
- I searched for for ‘Global warming’ in the Library’s OneSearch page .
- I got too many results, because my topic is too general.
- I can find suggestions of subjects on the left side of the page, which I can use to make my subject more specific.
- In the next step, I will use what I have learned to refine my topic.
2. Refine Your Topic
Narrowing your subject to a more specific topic takes a bit of research and thought.
Here are some ideas to help you narrow your topic:
- Talk to a friend to get ideas. They may give you ideas that didn't occur to you.
Use these questions:
- WHY did you choose the topic? What interests you about it? Do you have an opinion about the issues involved?
- WHO are the information providers on this topic? Who might publish information about it? Who is affected by the topic? Do you know of organizations or institutions affiliated with the topic?
- WHAT are the major questions for this topic? Is there a debate about the topic? Are there a range of issues and viewpoints to consider?
- WHERE is your topic important: at the local, national or international level? Are there specific places affected by the topic?
- WHEN is/was your topic important? Is it a current event or an historical issue? Do you want to compare your topic by time periods?
(Content reproduced from MIT.edu under a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial License )
- Turn your topic into a question. You will be trying to answer this question with your research. Think about something you would like to try to prove or argue.
- Make sure to pick a topic that will have enough information available. Do a preliminary search to see if there is enough information about your topic.
Example: Refining Your Topic
The subject we chose in the earlier step is ‘global warming.’ This subject is a very broad topic with many different aspects you could research. We will use the techniques above to narrow our subject to a research topic.
- Why: I am interested in environmental issues, and I am interested in how technology can be used to improve things in the future.
- Who: Many environmental journals have published research on this topic. Also, organizations such as the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) and the United Nations Environment Programme publish reports on the topic.
- Which types of energy sources are best for the environment?
- Are they feasible?
- How much will they cost?
- What are the potential positive or negative effects?
- Where: This issue is important for everyone, both on local levels and on a global level.
- When: This is a current issue; it is very important today and for the future. I would like for this paper to be more future-focused.
- From these answers, I came up with possible topics, such as ‘the causes of global warming’ ‘technological solutions to global warming’, or ‘what effect does global warming have on business?’ or ‘scientific debate about global warming’
- I turned my topic into a question: ‘Can alternative energy sources help stop global warming?’
- I made sure my topic has enough information available. A quick search of library resources shows over 7,000 results related to my question.
Sample research question: Can alternative energy sources help stop global warming?
- << Previous: Home
- Next: Plan Your Search >>
- Last Updated: Mar 6, 2023 10:22 AM
- URL: https://algonquincollege.libguides.com/research
Research Paper Guide
Research Paper Topics
Last updated on: Feb 14, 2023
Good Research Paper Topics & Ideas for Students
By: Nathan D.
22 min read
Reviewed By: Chris H.
Published on: May 28, 2019
Research paper writing is an essential part of education. It is necessary because it helps the students to develop a critical view of different issues of life and society. In addition to that, research writing enables students to develop their argumentative and persuasive skills.
The foremost step of the research paper writing process is selecting the topic. Teachers do not provide research topics to students and give them the freedom to go with something that interests them.
The purpose is that teachers want to assess the student’s ability from their writing. This can be done without forcing a difficult topic for research on them. While selecting the topics, students must ensure not to opt for a topic they can easily find information on. But with something for which you can craft an interesting and debatable thesis statement.
Selecting a perfect topic seems like a problem to almost all students. Every other topic seems interesting at first glance. However, that same topic becomes too difficult when the students research the details and existing information about it.
Don’t worry. We have compiled a great list of research topics that you can use for your help.
So get ready to explore some interesting examples of research topics for your paper.
On this Page
Research Paper Topics for Different Education Levels
We have categorized topics for different education levels to cater to the needs of all students. So let’s have a look at our research topics for students…
Middle School Research Paper Topics
- How can we protect our environment?
- How is instant messaging affecting literacy?
- Effective ways of achieving your academic goals.
- A movie that influenced its generation.
- Always choose a good idea or topic to write about.
- Standardized tests aren’t a useful measure to judge a student’s capabilities.
- Pros and cons of going completely vegan.
- What is the impact of diversity on a society’s development and progress?
- What is the role of music in soothing someone?
- How to choose an easy research paper topic?
- Significance of learning different languages.
- Importance of physical activities.
- Bullying and its effects on mental health.
- How do learning techniques influence learning behavior?
- Pros and cons of distant learning.
High School Research Paper Topics
Looking for interesting research topics for high school students? Here you go, select one of these best topics and ace your grades...
- Should school students choose a controversial topic?
- Should prayer be a part of high school?
- Do kids focus better in same-sex schools?
- Should the government control what is served in school cafeterias?
- Does anyone ever use math formulas in real life?
- Should high schools make their students undergo leadership training?
- The high school curriculum should include subjects related to real life. Discuss.
- Examine the jail system of China.
- Discuss Plato’s philosophy regarding maths and how did he contribute to it?
- What are the psychological effects of the Holocaust on the survivors?
- Writing a research paper and improving your skills.
- Media coverage of the Vietnam War Vs. War on Terror.
- Significance of Industrial Revolution.
- Significance of being Nuclear Power in the world.
- How can poverty be eradicated in underdeveloped countries?
College Research Paper Topics
This list provide some engaging research topic for college students. So, if you’re stuck on deciding your research topic, then have a look at the topics below:
- 4-year college degree vs. 2-year degree.
- Distance learning and its usefulness.
- How should students plan for college tuition?
- How does substance abuse affect the performance of college students?
- Can an average person become a politician, and how?
- IELTS Vs. TOEFL.
- Children should choose those subjects that interest them. Agreed?
- Colleges should have education consultants to help students.
- College dropouts are more likely to become billionaires. Do you agree?
- The College curriculum should include specific classes for boys and girls.
- Physical punishments and their impact on children.
- Importance of getting a degree in professional life.
- How to be successful in life?
- Emerging graduate programs.
- The flawed education system of the United States.
Don’t give up reading here because this list has plenty more interesting and easy research topic ideas. So continue reading to explore them all now….
Research Paper Topics for 2023
Are you looking for the latest research topic ideas for different fields? The following list created by the professional writers of 5StarEssays.com will be helpful.
History Research Paper Topics
- How did the Civil War impact the history of the United States of America?
- What were the prominent features of the Roman Empire?
- Explain the havoc caused by World War II.
- How did the depression era contribute to the change in the ideology of the general population?
- Was Martin Luther King really a reformist?
- Is racial discrimination still a part of American society?
- Compare and contrast between the Neolithic period and the stone age.
- Discuss the French Revolution in detail.
- What is Hippie culture? Trace and explain its origins and influences.
- What is the significance of the Battle of Hastings in the history of England?
- History and origin of Feminism.
- Political events that fueled up WWII.
- The use of propaganda by Hitler.
- The similarities and differences in the literature of the 18th and 19th centuries.
- Causes and effects of the War on Terror.
You can also get more history research topics here for your academic assignment.
Paper Due? Why Suffer? That's our Job!
Art Research Paper Topics
- Differentiate between the achievements of the Northern Renaissance and the Italian Renaissance.
- Is the media portrayal of minorities realistic?
- How did Rap music become a part of American society?
- How did the music brought by the slave community become dominant in modern American society?
- How is racism being highlighted by the media?
- What is the history of ice sculpting? Explain with reference to popular ice sculptures.
- Discuss the symbolism in Da Vinci’s paintings.
- Discuss the origin of Salsa and other types of dances.
- What is the significance of the ancient stone drawings?
- How do different movements impact the culture and art of that era?
- Significance of Hitler’s artwork.
- William Blake’s contribution to literature.
- Depiction of beauty in Shakespeare’s plays.
- Romance and the portrayal of a relationship in the novels of the 19th century.
- Different techniques are used in painting landscapes.
Criminal Justice Research Paper Topics
- Should the government allow any relaxation in Capital punishment?
- Why should the minimum legal drinking age be kept at eighteen years?
- Does drug legalization contribute to the increased crime rate?
- Should the constitutional amendment regarding gun control be amended again?
- Does police brutality contribute to the onset of hate crimes?
- Should abortion be counted as a crime? Defend your answer with solid arguments and proof.
- What are the main reasons behind human trafficking? How can it be controlled?
- How does child abuse lead to the making of criminals?
- What role do sociology and psychology play in criminal justice?
- How can social institutions contribute towards minimizing the crime rate?
- Causes and effects of mercy killing.
- Significance of death penalties.
- Reasons why bullying should be considered a crime.
- Should minors be treated as adult criminals for murders?
- Different techniques to interrogate crimes.
Business Research Paper Topics
- How has cyber-security emerged as a new business endeavor?
- Is e-business more profitable than traditional business?
- Do you think small business retailers compromise on business ethics?
- Pros and cons of online retail.
- Role of government organizations in white-collar crimes.
- Should the minimum wage rate be increased?
- What are the main causes behind the rise of entrepreneurial culture?
- Owning a business is the only way to total financial security. Agreed?
- Describe the different types of business models and ways to implement them successfully.
- Propose some profitable small business ideas.
- Should successful businessmen be helping new people in the market?
- The relation of demand in supply in the market.
- How do the political instabilities of the country influence businesses?
- Trending business ideas.
- How do different marketing techniques boost business?
Ethics Research Paper Topics
- Should gun control laws be revised?
- Pros and cons of Euthanasia
- Should recreational marijuana be legalized?
- Animal testing is against animal rights. Discuss.
- Do violent video games promote aggressiveness among children?
- How to minimize bullying in school?
- What are the reasons for a rise in plastic surgery trends in teenagers?
- Ethical implications in case someone sees their friend cheating on the exam.
- What are the consequences of merging religion with politics
- How to minimize ethnic hostility in college and university?
- Ways to minimize gun-related deaths in America.
- Causes and effects of the increase in the divorce rate.
- Significance of affirmative actions in the workplace.
- Should mercy killing be legal?
- Influence of stem cell research on medicine.
Health Research Paper Topics
- What are the health complications caused by abortion?
- Does drug abuse contribute to mental health issues?
- Is there any cure for Alzheimer's disease?
- Is obesity the main reason behind the onset of other chronic illnesses?
- Should teenagers be allowed to buy medication without a prescription?
- Discuss the negative effects of cosmetic surgery.
- What are the health disasters of crash diets?
- Anorexia in College Girls: Reasons and Ways to Minimize It
- Are health supplements necessary to maintain a healthy lifestyle?
- What vitamins are necessary for a healthy lifestyle and living?
- Causes and effects of obesity.
- How to treat PTSD?
- Similarities and differences between a panic attack and an anxiety attack.
- Natural way to treat bipolar disorder.
- How can sleep disorders lead to other mental problems?
Government Policy Research Paper Topics
- Should the government reform the policy regarding Juvenile Punishment?
- How is US airport security contributing to counterterrorism measures?
- Should the United States of America reform its Immigration policies?
- Is legalizing recreational marijuana providing any benefit to government organizations?
- Can prison reforms contribute to the low crime rate in the United States of America?
- What factors play a role in forming government policies?
- What are some of the new developments in the government policies of the US?
- What are the policy reforms that took place in Obama’s presidential era?
- What are the pros and cons of Obama’s Healthcare Act?
- How is Donald Trump working on the healthcare of the US?
- Barack Obama’s domestic policy.
- Effectiveness of country’s protection against terrorism policies.
- Comparison of Patriot Act One and Two.
- How do the needs of individuals contradict the needs of the state?
- The illegal immigration policy of the United States.
Tough Essay Due? Hire Tough Writers!
Environment Research Paper Topics
- How is human activity contributing to acid rain?
- Is deforestation contributing to global warming?
- Can hybrid vehicles ensure the control of pollution in the atmosphere?
- How can global warming be controlled?
- What are the main sources of marine pollution?
- How is the Greenhouse effect contributing to global warming?
- Discuss the role of Fauna and Flora in impacting the rainfall.
- Global warming is the key reason behind the increased rate of water disasters. Discuss.
- How to recycle waste to minimize global warming?
- Using degradable plastic helps minimize the hazards of plastic. Agreed?
- Climate change and global warming policy.
- Impact of oil spills on the environment.
- Causes and effects of water pollution.
- Effects of deforestation on climate.
- Significance of wildlife protection.
US History Research Paper Topics
- What was the cause of the great depression?
- American colonial era.
- Importance of Voting Act Rights for the blacks.
- Discuss the cause of the Civil war.
- Martin Luther King.
- Women’s suffrage movement.
- What are the main eras in US history?
- Discuss the effects of motivational speeches in influencing the US masses.
- Discuss Abraham Lincoln as a US President and the reasons behind his assassination.
- Describe the Battle of Chancellorsville and its impact.
- A critical analysis of “I Have a Dream” by Martin Luther King Jr.
- Cold War and its effects on the United States.
- US journalism during the Vietnam War.
- The American history of relationship with North Korea.
- The history of terrorist attacks in the United States.
Sociological Research Paper Topics
- How does divorce affect children?
- Interracial marriage.
- Gender inequality in a professional environment.
- Cause and effect of bullying.
- Does social media make individuals feel alone?
- Discuss the pros and cons of the nuclear family system.
- Are women molested more than men? Argue with solid facts.
- What effects do homosexuals have on modern society?
- What is feminism, and how is it affecting the modern family and society?
- What are the reasons behind the rising rate of divorce?
- Driverless cars and the evolution of transportation.
- The significance and impact of the women’s rights movement.
- Significance of religion in society.
- Traditional music Vs. modern music.
- Life in rural Vs. Urban areas.
Get more sociology research topics and choose the one that you find interesting.
Sports Research Paper Topics
Selecting topics on sports can help you explore different aspects of sports and provide an interesting read. Here are some topics that you can consider for your paper…
- Importance of physical exercise in school.
- Mind Vs. Body. What is more important for sports?
- Is cheerleading a sport?
- Should trans women play against men or women?
- Do sports influence an individual’s emotional well-being?
- Football vs. hockey, which sport do you prefer and why?
- What are the reasons behind the steroid culture in professional wrestlers?
- Should athletes consume steroids and other medicine to improve their performance?
- How do sports help us in sharpening our minds and doing better in our studies?
- Sports should be essential for every student. Discuss the reasons.
- The use of animals in sports.
- Doping in sports.
- Team sports and its effects on society.
- Cricket Vs. Hockey.
- Extreme sports of the world.
English Linguistics Research Paper Topics
Here is a list of some interesting research paper topics for English literature and linguistics students…
- Discuss the theme of narcissism in the character of Dorian Gray.
- Discuss the elements of the literature in different eras.
- Discuss the theme of Carpe Diem in different poems.
- Describe why the poets and writers use similes and symbols in their works.
- Evaluate symbolism in two novels or plays.
- Compare Shakespeare and Marlowe as contemporaries.
- How has Kafka hinted at his strained relationship with his father in his works?
- It is said that literature is the true mirror of any era. How true is it?
- How does literature teach and inform about the different aspects of society?
- Discuss Milton and Blake as mystics.
- The usage of literary devices in famous pieces of literature.
- The depiction of beauty standards in the artwork of the 18th century.
- The portrayal of women in the literature of the 20th century.
- Romance in Shakespeare's play Romeo and Juliet.
- Literature during the first World War Vs. the second.
Education Research Paper Topics
- Homeschooling is better than traditional schooling. Discuss.
- Physical education must be made mandatory in schools.
- Setting up a virtual education system will help increase the literacy rate.
- College dropouts are more likely to end up nowhere. Justify the claim.
- Education opportunities for girls are less than those for boys. Discuss the claim.
- Education among girls should be promoted.
- Government should give free education up to the university level. Discuss.
- How can we revolutionize education?
- What is the role of AI in developing the educational sector?
- Education should be made paperless. Discuss its pros and cons.
- How has Covid-19 influenced education?
- Education system of the underdeveloped countries.
- How to eradicate poverty through education?
- Right to education.
- Women's right to education in third world countries.
Don’t stop reading, explore some more topics….
World History Research Paper Topics
- State and discuss the reasons behind the Rwandan genocide.
- Discuss Cleopatra as the most influential Egyptian queen.
- Discuss the rise and fall of Hitler.
- Who was Nero? What caused his downfall and demise?
- What was the significance of Arenas in the Roman Empire?
- Discuss Holocaust as one of the greatest tragedies in history.
- What is the role of women in the Industrial Revolution?
- How did Pompeii destroy? Discuss the causes of the destruction.
- What are the Stonehenges?
- Discuss some of the prehistoric fossils.
- The history of using nuclear weapons.
- Origin and formation of the world bank.
- The Cold War and its effects on the world.
- War on Terror and its effects on the world.
- How did the 9/11 incident change the politics of the world?
Social Media Research Paper Topics
Social Media is a trending topic for writing a great paper. It can help you assess the impact that social media has on society and how its usage influences people’s lives. Here are some great topics to consider for your research paper:
- Is blogging becoming a legit profession?
- Does social media affect our relationships?
- Has social media brought people closer or distanced and disrupted them and their relationships?
- Should everyone in the world have the same access to social media?
- Should social media sites be banned in schools?
- How does social media impact our daily life?
- Is social media an end-to-end solution for small businesses?
- How do companies use different social platforms to find and hire talent?
- Social media is a necessity of life. How true is this statement?
- Social media is the new future of technology. Discuss.
- Is social media the source of spreading fake news?
- The use of social media for promoting businesses.
- How can social media accounts help judge people more accurately?
- How has social media affected the physical connections between people?
- The portrayal of minorities on different media platforms.
Computer Science Research Paper Topics
- Robotics and artificial intelligence
- The importance of open source software
- Robotic manipulation modeling
- Biomedical informatics and computational biology
- Artificial intelligence in computer vision
- What is the future of quantum computing?
- The role of antivirus/firewall solutions
- What are the major emerging technologies in computer science?
- Knowledge Processing
- Network anomaly detection in Cloud and IoT.
- Discuss how convex optimization is used in signal processing
- The internet of things and its impact on human life
- Do digital tools make us more or less productive at work?
- Natural language processing real-life applications
- Environments and programming languages
Zoology Research Paper Topics
- Man-eating animals
- Biodiversity of estuarine and fluvial fish
- Understanding animal behavior among predators.
- Dopamine modulation of honey bees
- An Asian elephant imitates human speech
- Human impact on red panda populations
- How do vaccines strengthen the immune response?
- Dogs, their talents and abilities
- Cooperative behavior in ant colonies
- Why do sharks get a bad reputation?
- The social movement of animal rights
- Animal habitats conservation
- Ethical treatment of animals
- Characteristics of Florida alligators
- What makes Shark attacks?
These are some interesting research paper topics in zoology, now let’s move to the next section that highlight more vast ideas.
Psychology Research Paper Topics
- How does child abuse impact the adulthood of an individual?
- Should Depression be treated as a mental health issue?
- Are Dreams related to reality?
- What is the condition that gives rise to Learning disabilities?
- Does Schizophrenia give rise to other mental health issues?
- Child abuse can give rise to various psychological problems.
- Psychological problems are directly related to the environment. Discuss.
- Psychopaths are the products of society's injustice.
- Psychological Problems and Superstition: Why do people still believe in it?
- Childhood counseling is the best way to ward off any mental illnesses.
- Freud’s contribution to the field of psychology.
- Chaucer’s insight into human behavior.
- Gender psychology.
- Traditional Vs. Modern conceptions of mental illness.
- How do self-image and culture relate to each other?
Here are some additional psychology research topics for your paper if you want more ideas.
Good Research Paper Topics
Below are some interesting yet impactful research paper topic ideas that make your topic selection process easy.
Argumentative Research Paper Topics
- Should handguns be banned?
- Should parents monitor their child’s social media?
- Should prisoners have the right to vote?
- Has social media decreased our creativity?
- Money can’t buy happiness. True or false?
- 90% of the reasons behind divorce are from women. Discuss.
- Women and men are not given equal rights.
- Humans can live without food. Explain the breatharian trend.
- Consuming meat is a selfish act. Do you agree?
- A vegan diet is more healthy than a meat-based diet. How far is the statement true?
- Analysis of the most controversial ad campaigns.
- Is homosexuality a choice?
- Creationism Vs. Evolution
- Should children be spanked by their parents?
- Pros of animal testing.
Persuasive Research Paper Topics
- Hunting should be tagged as immoral and should be banned.
- Animals should not be used in checking beauty and medical products.
- What is microchipping? Are microchipping pets an ethical and legal act?
- Euthanizing Pet Dogs: Pet dogs should be sent to sleep if they develop any biting tendencies. Discuss.
- Moving from the countryside to the city is essential for -personal growth and development. Discuss.
- Dogs are better pets than cats. Is it true?
- Habits are inbuilt and cannot be learned over time. Agreed?
- AI is essential for a better educational system. Discuss.
- Newspapers are more propaganda now, Agreed?
- Women should be allowed to work from home after having a baby. Discuss.
- Privatization of social security.
- Human torture in the name of interrogation should be banned.
- Euthanasia should be outlawed.
- Affirmative action is essential to ensure gender and racial equality
- The minimum labor wage should be increased.
Best Research paper Topics
- Difference between a man’s and a woman’s heart?
- Do some religions oppress women?
- Ozone Layer in coming years.
- Future Of endangered species in America.
- Can we deal with plastic pollution wisely?
- Social media is essential in our daily lives. Discuss the pros and cons.
- Cow's milk is healthier than packaged milk. How true is this statement?
- Strict mothers have well-mannered kids.
- Body Sprays are hazardous to the environment.
- Kids should be allowed to play in the mud. Prove your point.
- Significance of recycling.
- Importance of career counseling of the students.
- Effectiveness of color therapy.
- Different cultures of the world.
- Significance of following the writing conventions.
Interesting Research Paper Topics
- Is our future in the hands of AI?
- Will Self Determination Theory ever be implied on robots?
- Is the Socratic method helpful for people with cognitive disabilities?
- When is the nearest supernova expected?
- Can the world come together to fight racism?
- Discuss the trend of surrogate mothers and the pros and cons of having them
- Homosexual couples should not be allowed to adopt children. Agreed?
- What are the key reasons behind people not wanting to get married now?
- Kids should be left untamed and given a chance to discover their own ways.
- Minimalist living is a leap towards a more satisfied and clutter-free life.
- Treating mental illnesses through emotional support of animals.
- Why is platypus a unique mammal?
- History and origination of hip hop.
- The routine of a Buddhist monk.
- Reasons for the domestication of cats and dogs.
Controversial Research Paper Topics
- Surrogate mothers and societal worldview
- Is obesity the new norm?
- Animal rights
- Children should not be allowed to use mobile phones.
- Is the death penalty efficient?
- Are Montessori schools a threat to public education?
- Is water fluoridation necessary?
- A life without store-bought toys: the benefits.
- What are the benefits and hazards of medical marijuana?
- Equality is part of lawmaking, but does it work in practice?
- The distorted body image on social media.
- Native American sovereignty issues.
- The perks of fee-for-service medicine.
- Aging is actually super cool.
Tips for Choosing a Good Research Paper Topic
The following tips will help you find a good research topic for your next paper assignment.
Explore Your Interest
Students have the freedom to choose the topics of their interest. So, the foremost step is to narrow down the field you are interested in. There are several research topics in subjects like:
- Government policy
- Culture and arts
- Psychology, etc.
Choose the one that interests you and is relevant to your field of study.
Once you have chosen the research question, find the perfect topic for your paper. For a start, shortlist some topics related to famous subjects and works.
For example, you can write about Harry Potter, for the subject of literature studies. And explore how the series added value to literary studies.
Most of the time, the instructors demand that the students pick the topic according to their subject. If such guidelines are shared, the business students should not choose history topics.
Moreover, before submitting research paper, it is necessary to check that it adheres to provided guidelines.
If you are still unsure about your interest, you can select some good research paper topics from the above mentioned ideas.
Here is also a helpful video for you on how to select your research paper topic;
The above-presented topics are great if you are in writer’s block. If you are doubtful about your ability to craft a research paper, get help from the expert essay writers of 5StarEssays.com .
Our team of experienced writers can help you with any “ write me an essay ” request.
We are here 24/7 to talk to you and help you with your papers. Simply ask our writing service to ‘ write my essay ’ and get all your academic assignments written in no time.
Place your order now at the most reasonable prices and get the best work.
Nathan completed his Ph.D. in journalism and has been writing articles for well-respected publications for many years now. His work is carefully researched and insightful, showing a true passion for the written word. Nathan's clients appreciate his expertise, deep understanding of the process, and ability to communicate difficult concepts clearly.
Was This Blog Helpful?
- How to Write a Research Paper - Writing Guide & Examples
- 20+ Thesis Statement Examples for Research Papers
- Learn How to Write an Abstract - Steps & Examples
- How to Write a Literature Review: Steps and Outline
- How to Start a Research Paper - 9 Simple Steps
- Psychology Research Topics - 170+ Ideas for Your Paper
- How to Write a Hypothesis - A Step-by-Step Guide
- Writing a Research Proposal - Outline, Format, and Examples
- Good History Research Paper Topics For Your Help
- How to Cite a Research Paper with the Help of Examples
- How to Write a Research Methodology in 10 Simple Steps
- Research Paper Outline - Basic Format & Sample
- Research Paper Example: Samples to Write a Research Paper
- Great Sociology Research Topics & Ideas (2022-2023)
People Also Read
- argumentative essay writing
- asa citation guide
- persuasive essay examples
- analytical essay writing
- thesis writing
Burdened With Assignments?
© 2023 - All rights reserved
2000+ SATISFIED STUDENTS
95% Satisfaction RATE
30 Days Money-back GUARANTEE
95% Success RATE
© 2022 5StarEssays.com. All rights reserved.
LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
SIGN UP TO YOUR ACCOUNT
- Your phone no.
- Password Password must be minimum 8 characters.
- Confirm Password
- SEND PASSWORD
Purdue Online Writing Lab College of Liberal Arts
Genre and the Research Paper
Welcome to the Purdue OWL
This page is brought to you by the OWL at Purdue University. When printing this page, you must include the entire legal notice.
Copyright ©1995-2018 by The Writing Lab & The OWL at Purdue and Purdue University. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without permission. Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our terms and conditions of fair use.
This handout provides detailed information about how to write research papers including discussing research papers as a genre, choosing topics, and finding sources.
Research: What it is.
A research paper is the culmination and final product of an involved process of research, critical thinking, source evaluation, organization, and composition. It is, perhaps, helpful to think of the research paper as a living thing, which grows and changes as the student explores, interprets, and evaluates sources related to a specific topic. Primary and secondary sources are the heart of a research paper, and provide its nourishment; without the support of and interaction with these sources, the research paper would morph into a different genre of writing (e.g., an encyclopedic article). The research paper serves not only to further the field in which it is written, but also to provide the student with an exceptional opportunity to increase her knowledge in that field. It is also possible to identify a research paper by what it is not.
Research: What it is not.
A research paper is not simply an informed summary of a topic by means of primary and secondary sources. It is neither a book report nor an opinion piece nor an expository essay consisting solely of one's interpretation of a text nor an overview of a particular topic. Instead, it is a genre that requires one to spend time investigating and evaluating sources with the intent to offer interpretations of the texts, and not unconscious regurgitations of those sources. The goal of a research paper is not to inform the reader what others have to say about a topic, but to draw on what others have to say about a topic and engage the sources in order to thoughtfully offer a unique perspective on the issue at hand. This is accomplished through two major types of research papers.
Two major types of research papers.
Argumentative research paper:
The argumentative research paper consists of an introduction in which the writer clearly introduces the topic and informs his audience exactly which stance he intends to take; this stance is often identified as the thesis statement . An important goal of the argumentative research paper is persuasion, which means the topic chosen should be debatable or controversial. For example, it would be difficult for a student to successfully argue in favor of the following stance.
Perhaps 25 years ago this topic would have been debatable; however, today, it is assumed that smoking cigarettes is, indeed, harmful to one's health. A better thesis would be the following.
In this sentence, the writer is not challenging the current accepted stance that both firsthand and secondhand cigarette smoke is dangerous; rather, she is positing that the social acceptance of the latter over the former is indicative of a cultural double-standard of sorts. The student would support this thesis throughout her paper by means of both primary and secondary sources, with the intent to persuade her audience that her particular interpretation of the situation is viable.
Analytical research paper:
The analytical research paper often begins with the student asking a question (a.k.a. a research question) on which he has taken no stance. Such a paper is often an exercise in exploration and evaluation. For example, perhaps one is interested in the Old English poem Beowulf . He has read the poem intently and desires to offer a fresh reading of the poem to the academic community. His question may be as follows.
His research may lead him to the following conclusion.
Though his topic may be debatable and controversial, it is not the student's intent to persuade the audience that his ideas are right while those of others are wrong. Instead, his goal is to offer a critical interpretation of primary and secondary sources throughout the paper--sources that should, ultimately, buttress his particular analysis of the topic. The following is an example of what his thesis statement may look like once he has completed his research.
This statement does not negate the traditional readings of Beowulf ; instead, it offers a fresh and detailed reading of the poem that will be supported by the student's research.
It is typically not until the student has begun the writing process that his thesis statement begins to take solid form. In fact, the thesis statement in an analytical paper is often more fluid than the thesis in an argumentative paper. Such is one of the benefits of approaching the topic without a predetermined stance.
Follow these three tips to turn good research paper topics into great papers. #1: Figure Out Your Thesis Early Before you start writing a single word of your paper, you first need to know what your thesis will be. Your thesis is a statement that explains what you intend to prove/show in your paper.
The research paper introduction should address three questions: What, why, and how? After finishing the introduction, the reader should know what the paper is about, why it is worth reading, and how you'll build your arguments. What? Be specific about the topic of the paper, introduce the background, and define key terms or concepts. Why?
Science Research Paper Topics A scientific study is the heart of any research paper. Discover the top recommended scientific ideas. Stem cells to play a crucial role in the medical treatment of various diseases Forensic science technology Discussing alchemy and the ways it has been implemented
Step 1: Introduce your topic Step 2: Describe the background Step 3: Establish your research problem Step 4: Specify your objective (s) Step 5: Map out your paper Research paper introduction examples Frequently asked questions about the research paper introduction Step 1: Introduce your topic
Here are the 6 important types of research questions that you should know about when creating it for your research paper. Exploratory Questions - These questions are designed to explore the question in detail. Predictive Questions - These questions are used to predict the results of the research.
Medical Research Topics (Dentistry, Nursing, Psychology) Business (marketing, economics, and finance) Science and Technology (Computer Science, Math, Statistics) Social Sciences (Social Work, Political Science, Sociology) Other Great Research Paper Topics: Technology Religion Social Media Music Education Health Social issues Environment
Health Research Paper Topics The challenges of deafness and communication difficulties among special needs students The concept of global health security The ways to decrease household air pollution How the information about infectious diseases is distributed online Should people be allowed to know more about climate change issues?
Top 10 Research Topics for 2023 Maintaining social bonds via music Use of AI in robotics Narcissistic personality disorder: genetic factors Mental effects of remote work Use of infrared detectors in alarm systems Cosmological simulations and machine learning Achieving climate-positive agriculture
College Research Paper Topics Next, here are some college research paper topics to choose from. They include the following: Explore the design and construction of thermal plants around the globe. Analyze how the free software movement is positively transforming the world. Analyze cognitive development in children.
Choose a Topic Related to Human Cognition. Some of the possible topics you might explore in this area include thinking, language, intelligence, and decision-making. Other ideas might include: Dreams. False memories. Attention. Perception. Language. Speech disorders.
Topic A student will often encounter one of two situations when it comes to choosing a topic for a research paper. The first situation occurs when the instructor provides a list of topics from which the student may choose.
If you are interested in your topic, learning about it will be more pleasurable and you will write with greater passion, so choose your topic thoughtfully. Use the following list of 101 research paper topics as a starting point for your paper. As you begin learning and writing about your topic, you should revise or amend your research question ...
Before selecting your final topic, make sure you know what your final project should look like. Each class or instructor will likely require a different format or style of research project. 1. Brainstorming for a Topic. Choose a topic that interests you. Use the following questions to help generate topic ideas.
Bounce ideas off of people you know to get their thoughts. Talking to other people is a great way to work through your general ideas and figure out more specifically what you might want to write your paper on. Pay particular attention to any questions they ask—those can be great at generating research topics. 
Here are 66 research ideas divided into categories to help you generate your next research topic: Health research ideas Here are some research ideas related to health: Diagnostic testing: You can use this topic to write about a specific type of test, such as x-ray technology, or you could compare several tests.
Tips for writing a research paper. Here are some tips to help you write a research paper: Stay focused on your topic. Create a specific thesis for your research paper. If you create a too-broad topic, your readers may have a limited understanding of your research findings. When you emphasize your topic, you can often stay on topic more easily.
STEP 1: Define Your Topic The first step when planning and writing a research paper is picking a good topic. A good topic is relevant to the assignment and has enough information available for you to use. This section will help you pick a subject that interests you, and refine that subject to a specific topic. Tips Read over your assignment.
English Linguistics Research Paper Topics. Here is a list of some interesting research paper topics for English literature and linguistics students…. Discuss the theme of narcissism in the character of Dorian Gray. Discuss the elements of the literature in different eras. Discuss the theme of Carpe Diem in different poems.
A research paper is the culmination and final product of an involved process of research, critical thinking, source evaluation, organization, and composition. It is, perhaps, helpful to think of the research paper as a living thing, which grows and changes as the student explores, interprets, and evaluates sources related to a specific topic.
POSSIBLE RESEARCH TOPICS Your research paper, and the resulting thesis statement, must be an ARGUABLE issue. Be prepared to present the actual findings of your research convincingly even if you discover that your findings differ from your personal opinions. Remember, research is objective and not a "soap box" for personal views.